GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,016
0 members and 1,016 guests
No Members online

Old 11-11-2013, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Penn State Tri Sigma shut down

You hate to see a chapter shut down due to numbers..

http://onwardstate.com/2013/11/11/pe...-by-nationals/

@~/~~~~
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-11-2013, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I know I haven't been on here for a long time, but I just wanted to respond to this to others who would understand. My heart is breaking for every collegiate and alumna member of our chapter right now; it really does feel like I've lost my home.

Despite this, I'm grateful for the chance to rebuild a stronger chapter in the years to come. This closing does not mean I've lost my sisters, it does not mean I've lost my chapter, it does not mean that I've lost the immense changes in myself that resulted from being a Tri Sigma. Those will remain and we will remain.

I think now more than ever we need to stand fast to our mottoes, first, that we are faithful unto death. No chapter closing changes our loyalty to our sorority at large. And second, we are ever forward. This pain that we feel is only temporary and in time I think this will be good for our chapter, and our organization, as a whole.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psusue View Post
This closing does not mean I've lost my sisters, it does not mean I've lost my chapter, it does not mean that I've lost the immense changes in myself that resulted from being a Tri Sigma. Those will remain and we will remain.
So true! Sigma Love and Mine to you and all Beta Upsilon <3
I will be my whole life long"
Old 11-11-2013, 08:34 PM

I'm not going to put too fine a point on it. This sucks balls.

Farmville Four <3 to all you wonderful ladies.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
I know I haven't been on here for a long time, but I just wanted to respond to this to others who would understand. My heart is breaking for every collegiate and alumna member of our chapter right now; it really does feel like I've lost my home.
I've been there and I'm sorry.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I've been there and I'm sorry.
Been there as well, I am sorry. Those who have not experienced it can empathize, but never truly know how lousy it feels. And I hope they never have to find out.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Despite this, I'm grateful for the chance to rebuild a stronger chapter in the years to come. This closing does not mean I've lost my sisters, it does not mean I've lost my chapter, it does not mean that I've lost the immense changes in myself that resulted from being a Tri Sigma. Those will remain and we will remain.

I think now more than ever we need to stand fast to our mottoes, first, that we are faithful unto death. No chapter closing changes our loyalty to our sorority at large. And second, we are ever forward. This pain that we feel is only temporary and in time I think this will be good for our chapter, and our organization, as a whole.
Thought of you when I heard this, I'm sorry .
Old 11-12-2013, 09:48 AM
GreekChat Member

I am so sorry, psusue! Closing a chapter is such a heartbreaking thing. I hope Tri Sigma can come back stronger in the future.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 11-12-2013, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Not to get ahead of myself, but is there an action plan to bring Tri Sigma back or are you just having to wait and see? The good news is I've seen chapters (some of my own) very sadly close and re-open some time later and not have ANY of the previous issues.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Not to get ahead of myself, but is there an action plan to bring Tri Sigma back or are you just having to wait and see? The good news is I've seen chapters (some of my own) very sadly close and re-open some time later and not have ANY of the previous issues.
Not ahead of yourself at all. As per the letter we received this morning:

Quote:
The date will be determined in the coming months and all alumnae will be notified as plans begin to be formalized for a redevelopment in the future.
As difficult as this is to say, I think this is for the best. Like many have said, oftentimes chapters close and reopen to great success, and I trust that our leadership is as committed to a strong, successful chapter as the alumnae are. I appreciate that they are keeping us involved and I think that in the end this will be a small bump in the long road that I hope our chapter will have.

ETA: Thank you all for your sweet words. It means a lot to have people who understand.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I am so sorry - I am pretty much the poster child for this situation. BUT please note my happy ending! I hope you too will know the joy of having your chapter returned.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
I have the same report as SWTXBelle. My chapter was closed for 18 years and returned just over 2 years ago. Its now doing wonderfully.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm so sorry to hear this.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Aw, honey, I'm so sorrry

From one Nittany Lion to another, I am so sorry.

Weren't you in East Halls? That has got to be quite a handicap to overcome. I'm sorry that the chapter wasn't able to hold on for a few years once it was moved down to the center of campus, to see if a better location would have helped any. The undergrads and alums have to be heartbroken.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Been there and done that. Wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Hopefully you can come back stronger and better than ever someday.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.