GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 2,190
0 members and 2,190 guests
No Members online

Old 05-10-2000, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Post WHY?????

I justed wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem. I am a Delta and my roomate and almost all of my friends are AKA's. When ever we go out people always ask me so are you an AKA too or they ask my friends are you Delta?? When we answer we always get so what are yall doing together. Is that ignorant or what?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-11-2000, 12:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

I just think that the people that you have encountered are believers of the stereotypes and myths that are and have been circulating for a long time. They are believers of the rivelaries that the sororities/fraternities have. And that since we have this "FRIENDLY COMPETITION" thing going on, that it lies deeper than that. "Deltas and AKA's as organizations don't like each other, (which isn't true) so why would it's members be sociable and friends with the other. People like this are why these stereotypes can't and won't die.
Old 05-11-2000, 09:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Soror, that happens to me alot too! My roommate and bestfriend is a Zeta so we both hear our fair share of comments. I usually respond that we are all out here working to improve our community so why shouldn't we get along? I love Delta, always have and always will, so I don't sweat it. My whole mentality has always been 'each one teach one'. I figure that when people see me and my roommate together it breaks down the stereotype that different sororities don't get along.
Old 05-11-2000, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

I think this applies to non-greeks in general because of our " friendly competition" and the fact that we are a secretive organization. I find that I have more in common with a fellow GLO member than many non-greeks. We have a strong history of group cooperation and this bonds us.
Old 05-11-2000, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

that is so true. my best girlfriend is a sigma gamma rho and it's all love. what i can't stand is for someone to say, 'oh you're a delta, you look like a ____' what does that mean? we all have beautiful sorors of all shapes and colors. don't generalize.
Old 05-11-2000, 06:38 PM
GreekChat Member

dstbrat i know what you mean about that you look like a..... when i first came out alot of folks (greek and non-greek) were saying i can't believe you pledged delta you don't look like a delta. all i can say is i have to look like a Delta because i am a Delta!!!!!!
Old 05-11-2000, 07:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Discogoddess
Fellow sisters in Greekdom (and friends):

I occasionally read your board with interest, as I find it informative and intelligent.

We all have to remember that our people are still caught up in a self-hatred mentality that assigns value to people based on physical traits rather than personal character. As a neo, I almost blew my top when someone expressed surprise because my sands didn't "look" like an AKA...man, I tell you, the ignorance! It's mind blowing.

But we as greeks must do more to foster understanding and cooperation in order to dispel ugly stereotypes, especially as they pertain to skin and eye color, hair texture, and other outward appearances. In our "friendly competition," we at times seem to fan the flames with unsisterly behavior, rumor, and general pettiness. But the beauty of organic organizations like ours it that we can CHANGE our present reality as we preserve our positive legacies.

In fact, we really shouldn't look at each other in competition but in awe for all of the wonderful things we have accomplished and will achieve as college-educated, successful black women in a world that constantly seeks to degrade us. Four historically black sororities founded in one half of a century that saw us being lynched and beaten! Look at God, sisters!

Discogoddess
AKA, Spring 1990

Sorry for the long post!

[This message has been edited by Discogoddess (edited May 12, 2000).]
Old 05-12-2000, 02:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Salience Send a message via Yahoo to Salience
Well, amen, y'all! Sniff, that was just beautiful!!

------------------
@~~^~~~~
Subtlety is the key ;o)
Old 05-12-2000, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

amen! thanks for contributing to the discussion!
Old 05-29-2000, 02:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DirectorDST99 Send a message via Yahoo to DirectorDST99
Smile

I can certainly relate to this topic. My best friend since ungraduate is an AKA and of course I'm a Delta. We're much older now and hang out, often. We shake our heads when people say, "Where I come from Deltas and AKAs don't hang out". That's like saying that the Republicans and Democrats don't hang out and we all know those Good Ole Boys play golf together, often.

People need to grow up and wise up.