GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,196
3 members and 1,193 guests
3DGator, FSUZeta, LaneSig
Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl View Post
Casual users wouldn't consider their use to be abuse.
LOL
No, they would not.
You, and they, might be surprised if you looked up the definitions of the two.

And as we have seen here in the RM group and in the news, people generally see things their way.........

Last edited by jon1856; 06-20-2007 at 11:07 PM.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmom View Post
33girl, I completely agree with "not shoving it down their throats." after the death of a friend. As I said before, that would be totally insensitive. (and you're right in that my kids didn't know him)

But, in the case of the death of a friend, I might take the time to gently tell my child how much I love him and how hard it would be for me to lose him - under any circumstances - and to please be careful and use good judgement. I don't think that is "shoving it down their throat"
I agree. If something tragic like that were to happen to a friend of one of my kids, I imagine having an honest conversation that went something like "When these kinds of things happen it terrifies me because I love you so much and I don't know what I would do if I lost you" as well as a discussion of how his/her parents must feel and a reassurance that my child should always feel free to call to be picked up, etc, if there was anything going on that they weren't comfortable with, etc. I think HOW it is approached is the most important part, as well as WHEN you have that part of the conversation. I've never been one for the "Don't do this because I said so" kind of approach, which is what 33girl seems to be addressing.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1856 View Post
You still have your copy of The American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic Criteria from DSM-IV?
IMHO, I did not deny the difference between Cocaine Dependence and Cocaine Abuse. And if the perception is that I did, I am sorry
I just pointed out that the end can be the same.
And in truth, I would follow the advice of a professional over one who just took a class. And I did have a long conversation with Mom about this.

At this point, believe and do what you wish to.
There is very little you can say to change my POV on this matter.
Peace Out.
No, you just tried to say there were no casual users. Which amounts to the same thing. The end can indeed be the same, but you won't reach the casual users by only attacking addiction so you NEED to make these distinctions.

I was never trying to change your POV, you started this side conversation and I'm not recommending anything that mental health professionals aren't doing or teaching.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1856 View Post
Very good point.
Another way of looking at it is Abuse VS Dependence.
Neither one, IMHO, is all to healthy.
So why the need to jump in and correct me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl View Post
Casual users wouldn't consider their use to be abuse.
Yeah, it's difficult to reconcile mental health terminology with people's views on their own actions. Since the drug is illegal it's technically abuse no matter what, it's also probably a dangerous enough drug that any use would equal abuse. (Even most alcoholics don't see themselves as alcoholic. Why? Because in their mind alcoholics are 40 something white men who walk down the street scruffy with a brown paper bag in their hands.) College students won't see themselves as abusers because they're not addicts.

Again, I think that SDSU needs to do way more outreach to work toward's solving the problem.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I'd hate for this discussion to end with people having the impression that SDSU is a "druggie" school or that cocaine use is common or even commonly accepted. It's not. It's a big school that's a reflection of the greater community as a whole...yes there will be some who choose to use drugs, but there are plenty that DO NOT and plenty that would not want to associate with those who do. Unless you're willing to stand up to your sisters and brothers and say, hey that is not cool, you might be sending the message that it's okay. So I hope that horrible, awful, incidents like this one inspire the silent majority to speak up with their words and the actions and let the people they care about know how they feel about cocaine use. It was a stupid thing to do in the 80s and it's stupid now. If you use and you're not addicted or dead, you're lucky. But you're still stupid.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejazd View Post
I'd hate for this discussion to end with people having the impression that SDSU is a "druggie" school or that cocaine use is common or even commonly accepted. It's not. It's a big school that's a reflection of the greater community as a whole...yes there will be some who choose to use drugs, but there are plenty that DO NOT and plenty that would not want to associate with those who do. Unless you're willing to stand up to your sisters and brothers and say, hey that is not cool, you might be sending the message that it's okay. So I hope that horrible, awful, incidents like this one inspire the silent majority to speak up with their words and the actions and let the people they care about know how they feel about cocaine use. It was a stupid thing to do in the 80s and it's stupid now. If you use and you're not addicted or dead, you're lucky. But you're still stupid.

Hm, happen to have a Friend who works there and I am sure she is not aware of many of the things that may have been stated about The Un. here.

No matter, it is still a very sad situation for the dead person, her Family, Sisters, and Friends. If it was known, did she ask for help? That may be the main question?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 06-22-2007, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
Hm, happen to have a Friend who works there and I am sure she is not aware of many of the things that may have been stated about The Un. here.

No matter, it is still a very sad situation for the dead person, her Family, Sisters, and Friends. If it was known, did she ask for help? That may be the main question?

We most likely will never know the answer but the odds are that she did not. Just MHO.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:19 AM
GreekChat Member

RIP Jenny P

Here is a link to an online memorial

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=19314872&

Rest in Peace Jenny
Closed Thread