GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,493
0 members and 1,493 guests
No Members online

Old 04-11-2014, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Fraternity Leadership Group Calls for an End to Hazing

Fraternity Leadership Group Calls for an End to Hazing-With college frats facing ongoing criticism over alcohol abuse, sexual assaults, and even the hazing deaths of pledges, the North-American Interfraternity Conference is creating independent panels to address these issues and generate solutions....
The days of serious fraternity hazing—a college Greek life tradition that in some cases has led to tragedy in recent years—could be numbered.

That’s because a fraternity association is taking steps to rein in the practice, and perhaps end it for good.
The North-American Interfraternity Conference (NIC), which represents 75 fraternities worldwide, has announced an effort to research ways to stop harmful activities often associated with the campus groups, including alcohol abuse, sexual assault, and hazing. http://associationsnow.com/2014/04/f...ls-end-hazing/

Last edited by SOM; 04-21-2014 at 11:42 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-11-2014, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

The Time is Now to Preserve the Future of Fraternities. By NIC President & CEO Pete Smithhisler.

In recent months, it's become increasingly fashionable for media and others to denigrate the college fraternity experience as little more than an organized excuse to misbehave.
Since last summer, I've spent countless hours on the phone with a variety of journalists, many of whom have seemed predisposed to disparaging the fraternity movement. Some have gone as far as to suggest fraternities should cease to exist.
Their sentiment is fueled by unfortunate (and inexcusable) cases of students getting into trouble or - worse - hurting themselves or others because they acted irresponsibly or even illegally while participating in a fraternity-sponsored program or event.
While isolated, these cases nevertheless significantly overshadow all the good done by fraternities and their members today. For example, too few people are aware that:....

http://bit.ly/1jbArVX

Last edited by SOM; 04-21-2014 at 11:47 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

Well that settles it then. Hazing over.

We can safely shut down this part of the forum now.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-21-2014, 05:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Leader of One of America's Largest Fraternities Moves to End the 'Cancer' of Hazing: Brad Cohen is the current leader of one of the nation's oldest and largest fraternities. SAE has 240 chapters nationwide with over 14,000 members. Last month Cohen announced an abrupt end to one of the best known fraternity traditions, the pledge process prior to becoming a member. His goal is to stop the "cancer" of hazing.

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-C...ncer-of-Hazing
Old 04-22-2014, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

To me, this a total knee jerk reaction.

Most National GLOs have a non hazing policy rule in place!!!

But the problems come from not enforcing them.

Some nationals would rather keep chapters in place and fetch money from members which in the long run is short sighted.

I am proud of LXA and its no haze rule started in 1985. It is enforced as it should be!
I find also there is a responsabilty of Alums to help moniter this in their chapters. This BS of I went through it and was good enough for me is good enough for them is WRONG, WRONG!
I feel a responsability of helping keep my chapter on the up and up period!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 04-22-2014, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Tom Earp:To me, this a total knee jerk reaction

I am proud of LXA and its no haze rule started in 1985. It is enforced as it should be!
I find also there is a responsabilty of Alums to help moniter this in their chapters. This BS of I went through it and was good enough for me is good enough for them is WRONG, WRONG!

I definitely agree with your above statement Tom. As a Chapter Advisor myself, along with other Alumns usually do several spot checks on my chapter. This gives the chapter a sense that "Big Brother" is watching and that compliance of all policies and procedures need to be followed at all times.

ZBT:"BROTHERHOOD & BEYOND"
Old 04-22-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post

Some nationals would rather keep chapters in place and fetch money from members which in the long run is short sighted.

Yes!
Old 04-22-2014, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
To me, this a total knee jerk reaction.

Sigma Alpha Espilon does not seem to be one of those Tom-This following is on the public section of National's page. Placed there as part of a legal settlement.
Chapter HEALTH & SAFETY History-Below is a list of all open Sigma Alpha Epsilon chapters with any health-and-safety incidents for the past five years. http://www.sae.net/2013/pages/resour...gement-history

Sadly it is all too easy to say that National XYZ enforces it's anti-hazing/RM violation regulation. Just do a search on hazing or just look at the rest of this section.

Schools, Nationals, and even local/State agencies can only efforts laws and regulations once they are aware of them. Someone at the Chapter has to speak up and say something, tell someone. I know that there is an 800 report line. Anyone reading about hazing knows all too well the number of reasons people do not speak up until it is too late. And that includes Alum and Alum advisers.

Last edited by SOM; 04-22-2014 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOM View Post
Sigma Alpha Espilon does not seem to be one of those Tom-This following is on the public section of National's page. Placed there as part of a legal settlement.
Chapter HEALTH & SAFETY History-Below is a list of all open Sigma Alpha Epsilon chapters with any health-and-safety incidents for the past five years. http://www.sae.net/2013/pages/resour...gement-history

Sadly it is all too easy to say that National XYZ enforces it's anti-hazing/RM violation regulation. Just do a search on hazing or just look at the rest of this section.

Schools, Nationals, and even local/State agencies can only efforts laws and regulations once they are aware of them. Someone at the Chapter has to speak up and say something, tell someone. I know that there is an 800 report line. Anyone reading about hazing knows all too well the number of reasons people do not speak up until it is too late. And that includes Alum and Alum advisers.
SOM at this point in time you are 100 % correct about SAE. This is so sad for SAE and old line and well regarded Fraternity.
Sig Ep went through a period of major hazing and got it turned around,(Congrats Sig Ep)!
Because of sexploits, boozing, hazing, and deaths or bodily harm, States are enacting laws against greeks, no matter if it is Nationals or Locals! Schools are cracking down and looking at taking Greeks off of campi. Some already have and all one has to look at are certain schools who may do this, such as Az. or Az S U?

We need to police our own and show what the positive aspects that WE DO!

LX Z # 1
Alumni