GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 308,215
Threads: 114,828
Posts: 2,159,695
Welcome to our newest member, ehnzswifty5881
» Online Users: 308
1 members and 307 guests
nermitanonicol
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-26-2007, 11:54 AM
LatinaAlumna LatinaAlumna is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: CA
Posts: 1,127
Attempted Abduction - USC (So. Cal.)

I saw this on the news this morning. USC ladies, please be on the look-out!:

http://cbs2.com/local/local_story_268204615.html

Attempted Abduction Investigated At USC

(CBS) LOS ANGELES USC and Los Angeles police are investigating an attempted abduction in which a 20-year-old female student fought off an attacker along 27th Street.

The suspect in the Friday night crime on 27th Street near Hoover was about 30 years old and driving a white, mid-size sedan.

"The suspect ran up behind her, she said, and grabbed her around the face with one hand over her mouth and started dragging her backward, saying: 'Don't yell. Don't scream. You'll be sorry if you do,"' USC police Capt. David Carlisle said.

The man started dragging the woman toward the car about 9:30 p.m., but she fought him off while screaming for help, Carlisle said.

Carlisle told the Daily Trojan that the attacker warned the woman that "if you scream, you're dead," but said it was appropriate for the woman to fight back, since the aggressor did not appear to be armed.

First-year USC medical student Aman Goel told the campus newspaper that "ever since I found out that this incident took place, I don't feel safe enough ... I need to start staying inside after dark."

A female student said the attack "just increases the worry on campus."

Another was more philosophical.

"I think the community members are ultimately good people," she said, "and I think you have to consider these events isolated."

(© 2007 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report. )
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-26-2007, 12:02 PM
DaemonSeid DaemonSeid is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: In a house.
Posts: 9,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinaAlumna View Post
I saw this on the news this morning. USC ladies, please be on the look-out!:

http://cbs2.com/local/local_story_268204615.html

Attempted Abduction Investigated At USC

(CBS) LOS ANGELES USC and Los Angeles police are investigating an attempted abduction in which a 20-year-old female student fought off an attacker along 27th Street.

The suspect in the Friday night crime on 27th Street near Hoover was about 30 years old and driving a white, mid-size sedan.

"The suspect ran up behind her, she said, and grabbed her around the face with one hand over her mouth and started dragging her backward, saying: 'Don't yell. Don't scream. You'll be sorry if you do,"' USC police Capt. David Carlisle said.

The man started dragging the woman toward the car about 9:30 p.m., but she fought him off while screaming for help, Carlisle said.

Carlisle told the Daily Trojan that the attacker warned the woman that "if you scream, you're dead," but said it was appropriate for the woman to fight back, since the aggressor did not appear to be armed.

First-year USC medical student Aman Goel told the campus newspaper that "ever since I found out that this incident took place, I don't feel safe enough ... I need to start staying inside after dark."

A female student said the attack "just increases the worry on campus."

Another was more philosophical.

"I think the community members are ultimately good people," she said, "and I think you have to consider these events isolated."

(© 2007 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report. )

one of the requests most of us tend to ignore on college campuses...if you are travelling after dark, travel in groups.

But then....hey...you can be snatched up from almost anywhere
__________________
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-26-2007, 12:18 PM
LatinaAlumna LatinaAlumna is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: CA
Posts: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSeid View Post
one of the requests most of us tend to ignore on college campuses...if you are travelling after dark, travel in groups.

But then....hey...you can be snatched up from almost anywhere
True, you can be kidnapped anywhere these days.

Sororities, especially, are in a good position to set up a "buddy system" for walking at night. When I was an undergrad, we always walked home from evening study hours or activities as a group, usually with at least 3 of us. If we ever hosted a party with a fraternity that had a house, we also had sisters available to walk other girls home so they wouldn't be out on the streets alone at night.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-26-2007, 01:45 PM
Rudey Rudey is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Taking lessons at Cobra Kai Karate!
Posts: 14,939
Yeah that Watts can be a scary neighborhood.

-Rudey
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-26-2007, 02:25 PM
PeppyGPhiB PeppyGPhiB is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 3,406
ANYONE walking close to USC at night should be extra aware of their surroundings and try to walk in groups...the neighborhood is not safe. The sorority houses have bars on the windows.

"Inglewood always up to no good..." ;-)
__________________
Gamma Phi Beta
Love. Labor. Learning. Loyalty.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-26-2007, 02:47 PM
DaemonSeid DaemonSeid is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: In a house.
Posts: 9,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
ANYONE walking close to USC at night should be extra aware of their surroundings and try to walk in groups...the neighborhood is not safe. The sorority houses have bars on the windows.

"Inglewood always up to no good..." ;-)
Regardless of whatever the neighborhood is....crime can and will happen.

So just stop pointing out the neighborhood in which it happened...I am almost willing ot bet that the criminal PROBABLY didn't even live in the area.

What is first and foremost is common sense if you want to be safe traveling after certain hours.

Heck...a gentleman and his wife was shot and robbed last year only a few blocks from the US Capitol last year.

if it's meant to heppen it's going to happen but we have to be aware of our surroundings at all times.

Oddly enough the few times I have had instances of problems were in so called 'safe' neighborhoods....

When my truck was broken into back in April, I was parked right around trhe corner from Johns Hopkins University (not the hospital) at a conference.
__________________
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-26-2007, 03:47 PM
LatinaAlumna LatinaAlumna is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: CA
Posts: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSeid View Post
Regardless of whatever the neighborhood is....crime can and will happen.
Agreed.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-26-2007, 05:40 PM
Rudey Rudey is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Taking lessons at Cobra Kai Karate!
Posts: 14,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinaAlumna View Post
Agreed.
You're right. Rapes and crime happen at the same rate in Watts as they do around Rodeo Drive. I'm sure both are equally safe.

-Rudey
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-26-2007, 05:51 PM
LatinaAlumna LatinaAlumna is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: CA
Posts: 1,127
^Rudey, we already know your perspective on what "good" and "bad" neighborhoods and people are like, so this routine of yours is getting kind of tired.

Last edited by LatinaAlumna; 09-26-2007 at 05:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-26-2007, 05:58 PM
Rudey Rudey is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Taking lessons at Cobra Kai Karate!
Posts: 14,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinaAlumna View Post
^Rudey, we already know your perspective on what "good" and "bad" neighborhoods and people are like, so this routine of yours is getting kind of tired.
Really? Please explain it to me.

Actually what it sounds like is you lying and making up a story. In fact you're using labels I haven't even used.

Too bad you live in a neighborhood full of crime. It must also breed liars.

-Rudey
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-26-2007, 06:02 PM
LatinaAlumna LatinaAlumna is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: CA
Posts: 1,127
LOL!

I think you've just explained to everyone, yourself.

Last edited by LatinaAlumna; 09-26-2007 at 06:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-26-2007, 11:40 PM
Rudey Rudey is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Taking lessons at Cobra Kai Karate!
Posts: 14,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCUgirl View Post
Rudey, I miss you.

Where is Bobby?
I dont know I haven't talked to him in a while since he geeked it out and went to law school.

-Rudey
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AP: DeLay staffers attempted to help controversial lobbyist The1calledTKE News & Politics 0 11-03-2005 06:36 PM
Vanderbilt ATO's might be in trouble for attempted rape at house The1calledTKE Risk Management - Hazing & etc. 0 11-08-2002 11:21 AM
local fraternity charged with attempted murder KappaTarzan Greek Life 23 09-02-2002 12:56 PM
Youth+Attempted Camel Sex=6 Months and 240 lashes damasa Dating & Relationships 6 08-06-2002 07:44 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.