GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,284
1 members and 2,283 guests
chi-o_cat

Old 10-06-2009, 12:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
So where did the freshman maid pledge?
To my knowledge she didn't go through NPC recruitment.

On her facebook group she started for the elections it lists her involvements as a freshman:
The Pride of the South Marching Band
Baptist Student Union
Student Housing (DR)
Ole Miss Gospel Choir
Ole Miss Housing Ambassador

http://blog.olemisslife.com/2009/09/...the-winner-is/
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-15-2009, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Sigma Kappas at the University of Louisville were well represented on Homecoming Court this year! 3 of the 5 queen candidates were SKs, and the SK king candidate also made court! The Homecoming Queen is an SK! I'm pretty sure the other two queen candidates were greek also, but I'm unsure of their (or the kings') affiliations.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneHeartOneWay View Post
Sigma Kappas at the University of Louisville were well represented on Homecoming Court this year! 3 of the 5 queen candidates were SKs, and the SK king candidate also made court! The Homecoming Queen is an SK! I'm pretty sure the other two queen candidates were greek also, but I'm unsure of their (or the kings') affiliations.
I know this is going ot sound weird, but can somebody explain this to me? My alma mater doesn't really have a homecoming.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
I know this is going ot sound weird, but can somebody explain this to me? My alma mater doesn't really have a homecoming.
Well, the specefics will vary from school to school, but I will explain how UofL does it (and I'm sure it is at least similar to most other schools).

Each Recognized Student Organization (fraternity/sorority, club, honor society, etc.) is able to nominate one king and one queen candidate. Every person who is nominated (and pays their registration fee!) then has an interview with a panel of administrators and students. From the interviews, the "Top 10" are announced to the student body- ten queen candidates and ten king candidates. The student body then votes on Homecoming Court (five queen candidates and five king candidates) from the Top 10. Homecoming Court then goes onto the field during the Homecoming football game at halftime, and the King and Queen are announced at the game.

It USED to be that that sudent vote (so yes, a popularity contest!) determind the King and Queen (so everyone who made it to Top 10 were eligible to win based on the student vote). However, this year (and I think maybe it's been moving this way for a few years) the total point breakdown was: 50% interview score, 34% student vote, and 16% candidate/candidate's nominating organization attendance at oOmecoming events the two weeks leading up to Homecoming.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to WVU alpha phi
WVU 2009 Homecoming Court has 4 Greeks: 1 Kappa, 1 Chi O, 1 TKE, and 1 Sigma Alpha Mu (my sister's college roommate's brother.. small world!).
Old 10-15-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post

I'm pretty sure that Homecoming works differently depending on the school, but at my alma mater, the Homecoming Court candidates must be senior students.

The student must be nominated by a student org in order to be considered (ex. if I were running, I could be nominated by Tri Sigma). An officer of the student org must submit a nomination form to the Court Committee. Each org may only nominate one person.

In addition to the student org nomination, the students must submit a 1 page essay answering a question (something like "What does being on Court mean to you?") and submit an application detailing their honors and awards during their time at KSU.

Once the nomination, essay, and apps have been received, each candidate is interviewed by a panel of KSU Alumni Association members.

From the interviews, the Court is chosen. This year I think there were 5 males and 5 females.

Once the Court is chosen, the student body votes for King and Queen (via our student online email/registration accounts) and they are announced at the Homecoming game at halftime.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 10-15-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

sometimes students have to have a certain gpa to be nominated, as well as holding membership in campus orgs. some schools even require their nominees to have x amount of volunteer hours. just depends on the school.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

a zta is the homecoming queen at arkansas tech.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:30 PM
GreekChat Member

A KD was Homecoming Queen at La Tech.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to GatorDG
UF Homecoming Queen is a DG and King a Kappa Sigma.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Tri Delta has a brand new colony at Towson. One of their new members was just selected for the Homecoming Court.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

http://jackson.metromix.com/events/p...543185/content

Pictures 45-57 are from the Homecoming Court at Ole Miss this past weekend!
Old 10-19-2009, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleMissGlitter View Post
http://jackson.metromix.com/events/p...543185/content

Pictures 45-57 are from the Homecoming Court at Ole Miss this past weekend!
Pageant gowns? I thought at most schools the queen and attendents wore suits now.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
Pageant gowns? I thought at most schools the queen and attendents wore suits now.
Wow, those people wear more clothes for tailgating than we do, and we actually have winter here. Scarves, hats, gloves, heavy coats, even if it was snowing we wouldn't rock all of that. People don't even wear pants and closed shoes sometimes when it gets to freezing.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
Wow, those people wear more clothes for tailgating than we do, and we actually have winter here. Scarves, hats, gloves, heavy coats, even if it was snowing we wouldn't rock all of that. People don't even wear pants and closed shoes sometimes when it gets to freezing.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but I always thought that tailgate attire at Ole Miss (and most other SEC schools) = dresses and heels for the ladies and dressier clothing for the men like polos.

Some of those pics look like they're tailgating here in Ohio.

Lakers Nation.