GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,466
2 members and 2,464 guests
No Members online

Old 05-18-2001, 10:59 PM

Smile

Dear worried senior...

Please don't let our posts worry you too much! I'm not going to say "don't worry, you'll get in" - no one can guarantee that. But I think you'll do better if you are informed and know that LSU rush IS very competitive. It sounds like you are ready to go, so try not to stress too much.

Also, the LSU website is a wonderful source of info - including prices, etc. A lot of schools have absolutely NOTHING concrete to go on as far as Greek life is concerned.

There are several women on here who are LSU students or alums, so don't be afraid to ask them any questions you might have! GOOD LUCK!

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-19-2001, 07:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for all the responses. It felt so good to just say what I was feeling. I guess in reality, everyone, well almost everyone, has these same concerns. I'm off to my summer job now, but will check back frequently. I didn't expect a reply so quickly. Makes me believe you are a group of people who really care about others. It was like going to confession! Thank you and I'll be "reading" you!
Old 05-19-2001, 02:04 PM
AudsLovesDG

Arrow

Having read some of the posts about rush, I want to tell potential rushees... JUST BE YOURSELF! I have been through both informal and formal rush as a sister and I know that if a woman asked to use our bathroom, I'd be happy to let her do so... I wouldn't think she hated my house! Additionally I agree with the "look nice" theme... but don't you want to look nice anyway? I can't speak for all sisters everywhere, but for me, the Greek system is about making connections and enjoying your college and life experiences with people who are fun, young, and willing to be involved in something -- be it a philanthropy, a birthday party, or a board meeting. I have a diverse sisterhood, but we are all united by our love for DG and all being sisters brings us -- a community of cool, smart, sassy sisters who are there for you if you need help studying for an exam, someone to walk with in a charity fundraiser, a fun person to go barhopping with on a Saturday night, and anything in between. Don't worry about getting your hair cut and your nails done, although I, in general, like to do both so that I feel good about myself on the outside... but make sure to feel good on the inside too... ask questions about the houses that you're rushing (What are the sisters involved with on campus?), do some research beforehand (Ask about each sorority's philanthropy -- I know I'm impressed when a rushee says 'Tell me about Service for Sight -- do you enjoy working with them?'), and have fun. Be yourself -- because if you aren't yourself, you could join the totally wrong house and not be happy. Good luck, and enjoy rush! Email me if you have any questions.

------------------
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Audrey Shore
www.audreyshore.com
Delta Gamma
at Columbia University
Old 05-19-2001, 02:41 PM

Cool

Hi Audrey! Welcome to Greek Chat. I just saw that you went to Columbia; what a great school and such a fun neighborhood! My former boyfriend was a SAMMY there back in the early '90's and some other friends were FIJIs and AXOs. A rather small but really enthusiastic greek population! Is the West End still there? How about Ollie's Noodle Shop and my very favorite restaurant of all time, Symposium??

I know this is really off the thread but what the heck its been done before!

------------------
~@~Tracy~@~
Proud to be a Delta-Z
Old 05-22-2001, 02:01 AM
GreekChat Member

When I went through rush, they took away our watches so that we couldn't check the time. They didn't want the sisters in the house to think that we were disinterested. It bothered me ALOT not know what time it was.
Old 05-22-2001, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

when i rushed our rho chi advised that we didn't wear our watches.

if i remember correctly, our chapter decided not to wear them as actives this year!

it just looks bad if one party or the other keeps glancing at her watch when they're supposed to be getting to know each other.
Old 05-23-2001, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RedHotChiO:
When I went through rush, they took away our watches so that we couldn't check the time. They didn't want the sisters in the house to think that we were disinterested. It bothered me ALOT not know what time it was.
I know EXACTLY what you mean. I feel naked without my watch!!

Fortunately we usually had formal rush in classrooms (not all chapters had houses, so that made it "equal") so there was a clock at the front of the room.

Old 06-19-2001, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

It amazes me how different rush is where I am. I go to a research university in the midwest, and the university is very focused on academics above all else. Rush here seemed insane at the time, but it is totally laid back compared to the stories I've read here! The one thing I definitely agree with is that anyone rushing should be themselves no matter what. Dressing nice is always a good idea, but who you are inside is (hopefully) more important. One of the girls in my pledge class (I did informal rush the spring before and we were involved with formal rush the next year) went to the first day of formal rush in an old t-shirt and gym shorts and was carrying a couple large bags - we offered to take them so she'd be more comfortable and she just laughed and said "That's ok, I just came from a tennis tournament and don't want everyone to think I normally look like this!" The way she laughed it off showed how cool she was, and it was nice to see that she was comfortable enough with herself to show up to formal rush in sweaty clothes (she didn't have time to change before rush) and just explained why and moved on like nothing happened. We definitely remembered her after that party.

) Liz

------------------

Alpha Chi Omega - Why reach for the top when you're already there?

[This message has been edited by AXOLiz (edited June 19, 2001).]
Old 06-19-2001, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Worried Senior, Though the deadline for turning in Rush applications is close approaching. Recommendations traditionally go directly to the sorority and can be sent up until rush. I remember us receiving recs on prospective new members through the second day of rush. So do not quit looking for recs, you can never have too many. I am sorry for the unpleasant experience you have had with the local Alumnae Panhellenic group. Though you seem to have a great head on your shoulders and are taking the action needed to get what you want.
Old 06-19-2001, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

This is something really weird about big-school Southern rush. All the rush booklets say not to go out and find recs, that it's the sorority's duty to get them. And I hate that! Because the truth is that at most of the schools I've attended or taught at, you need to get your own. Out-of-state rushees or girls who come from families what weren't previously Greek may have no clue and then they get cut because they don't have a rec--when they could've obtained one if they'd known!

I wish we'd just tell rushees to get their own and spare them the agony of finding out later--as many have--that ABC didn't ask them back to third round or whatever because they didn't have a rec.
Old 06-19-2001, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay.. WorriedSenior...

I spoke to one of my sisters, that was a Pi Phi at LSU and USM. As did I check out the LSU Greek Affairs website.

The Panhellenic Application is not due until July 31st. As you said, they suggest that recommendations be sent in by July 1st. Recs can be sent in later, it is to your benefit to have those that are written sent to the appropriate place by July 1st. If you wish, you may email me and I will explain in more detail why.

Please do not think that the recs are not of use for you if someone does not sent it in before July 1st. So please continue to have any alumna write recs for you.

Good Luck!!!
Old 06-20-2001, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Reading these, I realize how lucky I am to have had the relatively positive experience rushing that I did. Our Panhellenic (who went to the local high schools--our private schools here are all unaccredited and rather shady) took care of all of our recs for us...and this is in the South! I didn't go to school in the South, so my recommendations were all in vain (but I'm sure they helped somewhat!).

Are recommendations strictly limited to alumnae? Because I know some girls with whom I have worked, who don't know alumnae, who need recs.
Old 06-20-2001, 06:33 AM
GreekChat Member

PiPhiAlum(Should say PiPhiSweetie) I can't believe you went to the trouble! You are so kind. You are the third person who has gone the "extra step" to help another. I would like to know why, so I'll send you a short note before I take off for work. Thanks!
Old 06-20-2001, 09:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
It depends on the organization. In AOII, only alumnae members may write them.

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaChiGirl:

Are recommendations strictly limited to alumnae? Because I know some girls with whom I have worked, who don't know alumnae, who need recs.
Old 06-20-2001, 11:01 AM
Wine&Blue

Quote:
Originally posted by worriedsenior:
PiPhiAlum(Should say PiPhiSweetie) I can't believe you went to the trouble! You are so kind. You are the third person who has gone the "extra step" to help another. I would like to know why, so I'll send you a short note before I take off for work. Thanks!
I'll tell you why. Because she's a Pi Phi!!!!