GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,975
3 members and 1,972 guests
naraht, Sarak24034, Xidelt

Old 02-10-2004, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Honorary Initiation Story

Most of the threads here deal with the ladies' journeys so I thought I would share one with you all involving a fraternity because the story is special to me. It is an AI story, but in ATO, we call it honorary initiation. Since I'm not sure if he would like his real name online, I'm just going to use Bob.

Bob attended my university in the late 60s. He pledged my chapter of ATO, but decided to drop out because his grades were lower than the GPA requirement. Feeling more confident about his ability to handle studies and Fraternity at the same time, he repledged the following spring. That semester, he finished the entire pledging program and got his grades above the GPA requirement. However, for reasons he did not tell me (or I do not remember), he transferred the next fall to a different school without an ATO chapter.

Bob eventually left that school and moved on into law enforcement and soon the armed forces. He has earned a high rank and still serves today. He got married, has kids, and overall, has a great life.

About 6 years ago, he came back to my university (his first university) to work. He also did the night class/adult program thing and received his degree (34 years after first attending the university).

When I pledged in the fall of 2000, I was mistakenly told he was an initiated member (as a pledge brother, we learn all the faculty and staff that are ATOs, especially from our chapter). Through other alumni, I had heard that he pledged, but was never initiated. I found it weird that he never attended Founder's Day or came to meetings or Initiation. Through a circumstance with the Fraternity, I did get to meet him and get to know him. Of course, he is a fantastic person.

Last fall, I meet with him to ask him if he actually was an initiated member because I was curious and tired of hearing two different things. He told me his story and how he was still disappointed he never finished his journey in ATO. I spoke with the chapter, and we agreed to elect him for Initiation. After telling Bob about the offer, he said that he even though he desired it, he wanted to think about it, talk with his wife, and talk with some close friends (who were his pledge brothers in the late 60s) because this is definitely something serious. He called me the next week to let me know he accepted.

After going through the proper channels with Nationals, we got the OK. They even overnighted his badge to us so it would be here in time for the Ceremony. Bob was thrilled to find out he would be going through the exact same Initiation Ceremony he should have had 36 years ago. After his Initiation, he told the chapter how proud he was and glad that he got to finish what was started. He told us that every year since he started working at the university, he thought about asking if there was a way he could be initiated, but he never felt he had the right to. He said that me asking him was his green light. Now, Bob has attended pretty much everything we do. I think he is trying for the Most Outstanding Alumnus of the Year award.

Sorry it was so long. That was a pretty special event for me because I got to help a friend and now brother complete something important to him. It was definitely a highlight of my time as an active member (I graduate this May) - next to my own initiation, of course.

Jason
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-11-2004, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

This is such a wonderful story - three cheers for Bob! I've never seen a fraternity AI story, so this is really great to hear. It looks like all the ATOs got a fantastic new brother that day.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

That is an awesome story! I'm so glad that Bob finally made his way home to ATO!
Old 02-12-2004, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, it is a great story! How nice it was for you and your brothers to accept him to be included in your fraternity. It sounds like Bob is off to a great start!

.....Kelly
Old 02-12-2004, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

My brother was an ATO pledge at Union a few years ago but dropped because of money. He loved it though.

I went to Union for a little bit. Love the ATOs there!!!

What a sweet story. I feel all warm and fuzzy.
Old 02-12-2004, 02:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bsp-mich24
Great story--Congrats to Bob!