GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,268
2 members and 2,266 guests
chi-o_cat, Cookiez17

Old 01-26-2010, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Good Luck Stadust, we are all pulling for you!!!
Old 01-26-2010, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck *fngers crossed*
Old 01-26-2010, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I just re-discovered this thread, and they're meeting the Prez in what, 15 minutes? It's karma, I tell ya.

Stardust, best of luck. You have a lot of us rooting for you. Kudos to all your hard work and determination!
Old 01-26-2010, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
I just skimmed through bits and pieces of this for the first time. Good luck! I'm excited to hear how it goes
Old 01-26-2010, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, they're meeting right now....
Old 01-26-2010, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm really happy with the way our meeting went today. It was not only with the President and one of our Deans, but also with our vice president/Provost (she handles both jobs .. she's a busy lady, and left another meeting to come to ours!).

It was MUCH longer then we anticipated - we originally figured it'd be 45 minutes to an hour, but wound up talking for almost 2 hours! We went through an abbreviated version of our powerpoint presentation, but we did it in much more of an informal discussion. They seemed very impressed with the amount of work we put into it, which was nice to hear They had a lot of questions, and surprisingly didn't seem as concerned with the issues we thought they would be (hazing, alcohol abuse, etc) but moreso with issues of fairness and exclusivity. Which is understandable, although I disagreed with the President's opinion a little in this arena. His feeling on the matter is that no one should ever be excluded, and that "the hurt feelings of one person override any good it might bring to the school." We do think that guaranteed selection is something we should institute for recruitment at Drew, because if you're willing to be open minded to all of the groups you should definitely find a place. However, he feels that no one should have to feel that they only got "second best" or not what they wanted ... and honestly? I think that's a little ridiculous; in the real world outside college rejection happens. You don't always get in, you don't always get more than "second best" (which is, of course, all a matter of tent-talk perception anyway) .. and the experience of rejection teaches an important life lesson that if you haven't learned by the time to get to college, you NEED to learn while you're there! (Sorry .. touchy topic for me as someone who works with kids ... I get nuts about the "everyone wins or no one wins" things!)

Despite that bit, though, I think it overall went really well. The President actually told us that before he'd met with us, seen our presentation and how much research we did, his immediate reaction was to say no, absolutely not, it'll never happen on this campus. After the presentation, though, he said that he doesn't feel that way anymore; he still isn't 100% for the idea but he is more openminded to the subject, would like to think and research a little more, and is open to the possibility of allowing Greek life with more discussion.

As for a next step, he said he would definitely like at least 10 days to go through the research binder we gave him before he gets back to us with a response. He isn't even sure exactly what the next step is yet, since this is so completely new for our university. He did say that before it should go to the Board of Trustees, it should be opened for discussion to some sort of student committee or plebiscite or something. Which is unusual (most student proposals that go before the BoT don't have to go through that step) but I can understand his reasoning since it has been such a hot-button issue. Pending that, it can go to the Board for a proposal and discussion, and finally a decision.

Now, the not-so-happy news. Because of the upheaval in our student life department of late, and also just because making decisions in general takes a long time ... the President and Provost are estimating that it'll take somewhere around a year to get it proposed to the Board and decided upon. And of course, should it get approved, extension and colonization takes some time.

In my heart and in the back of my mind .. of course, I knew this. I knew that with the way they're restructuring student life it wasn't going to be decided as quickly as we had originally thought. While we have a unique opportunity to succeed in this venture now that in the past we may not have had .. the success will more than likely not be for the three of us who have worked so hard for it but for the students who will come after us. It breaks my heart to know that after all our work, after trying so hard .. I'll probably never get my letters and actually be a Greek student, despite the fact that in my heart I already feel Greek, you know? I feel like after all the research and time I've put into it, I really understand the idea of Panhellenic spirit and ideals .. and I love it.

But at the same time, I try and remember that even though I most likely won't have my letters, if we succeed so many other students at my school WILL have the chance to be Greek and to enjoy all the experiences and rewards that come with it. I'll have opened the door for SO many people, and will have left an incredible legacy behind at my school. And hey, I'm staying a fifth year for grad school .. maybe they'll let me be an adviser, or something?

I can't honestly say I regret coming to my school, and as a result not being Greek - I wouldn't have picked the major I did if I went anywhere else; I wouldn't have met my best friends; I wouldn't have met the man I'm planning on marrying. But at the same time, if I could change one thing ... I would have really thought hard about Greek life being available, because I really think that I would have loved it, and gotten an immense amount out of the experience .. and maybe it's a little conceited but I think I would have been a good member and made a positive impact on whichever organization I was a part of.

So that's where it went today. I'm really sad, but also at the same time incredibly happy, and ready to keep working on it because I DO believe it's a worthwhile cause and I DO believe we can succeed .. and that today was a success. Today was a positive day, even if I am sad. Thank you guys for keeping us in your thoughts today! I really appreciated it and it was great knowing you were thinking of us!
Old 02-28-2010, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Have you heard anything from the President yet?
Old 05-11-2010, 03:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi Zeta Lambda Zeta is easy opening chapter sorority, just take some informations...
zetalambdazeta.org
10 chapters in Canada and France
Old 05-11-2010, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmathetapi View Post
Hi Zeta Lambda Zeta is easy opening chapter sorority, just take some informations...
zetalambdazeta.org
1. Do you read the posts before posting virtually the same message to several different threads?

2. If you are responding or targeting Americans/English speakers, you should freshen up on your English spelling and grammar (here and on your website).

From the website:

"
If you want more informations please contact chapter@zetalambdazeta.org ."

"Each semester, our chapter as a group will choose a charitiy to fundraise for, or to gibe our time for."

The pink Fleur de Lys is representing our french-speaking origins.

Th
e animal who representing the sorority is the Dove.
The Queen Crown is also one of our symbol.

3. Isn't this a sorority - for women?

"If a member hasn’t the minimum GPA, the chapter will not give him the right to participate to ZΛZ event until he change this situation."

"If he is uncomfortable speaking to a ZΛZ about the activity, he may call the Greek Anti-Hazing Hotline"

Old 05-11-2010, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post

Th
e animal who representing the sorority is the Dove.
That's not a dove. Just saying.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 05-11-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
That's not a dove. Just saying.
It's a dove with diarrhea.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
It's a dove with diarrhea.
Ate too many prunes, I guess!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 05-12-2010, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I wonder how things are going for the OP?
Old 11-12-2010, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I and 5 other girls started a local sorority on Carleton University campus in Ottawa and it was very difficult, there are always going to be those people who try and get you down. You just have to keep your head up through it all, and DO NOT GIVE UP! Things were hard for the first year but we powered through and are stronger then I ever imagined! Good luck
Old 02-02-2011, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I know it's been a LONG time since I've posted here - unfortunately, real life got the better of me for a long time. Probably everyone has forgotten this thread, but I figured I'd post an update if anyone is still curious ... it goes against the grain for me to leave things half done

We have been told, unequivocally, that the board will not and does not support the institution of Greek life at our university at this time, regardless of how many students have expressed an interest. I will note that the President *did* support us in the board meeting, which I was honestly very surprised to find out - as he seemed so skeptical in our meeting, I was amazed to find out he wasn't out-and-out against the idea in the board meeting.

We weren't given this concrete answer until the middle of the fall semester of this academic year; it's now spring and I am a second semester senior. I won't lie - the ability of the board members, who have spoken publicly about their dissatisfaction with campus activities and student participation/school spirit, to unilaterally deny a proposal supported by 10% of the student body because it was "not a fit", in their eyes (a position I obviously do not view as accurate), is very disappointing. So, greek life at my school is back burnered for now. I won't admit defeat, however - I personally may be an alumna in just 3 1/2 months, as are the 2 other committee heads, but I'll be darned if the idea is dying with us! Our advisor will be here for a good long while, and we are in the process of passing the torch of leadership and all of our accumulated research, plans and work to underclassmen women (and even some men) who can continue to work for Greek life here. Hopefully, as time passes, some other men and women WILL be able to found a greek system here, and if and when it happens I will be SO proud to support them, even as an unaffiliated alumna. I still truly believe that my school - which, socially, is often fragmented and exclusive because it is quite small - would benefit from a Greek system which is geared in it's institutional requirements to promote student unity and school spirit. Here's to hoping!

Anyway ... as I've said, I'm a second semester senior now. I'm graduating in May, and will do so without having fulfilled my goal of helping to found a Greek program at my school. It's unfortunate, but true. On a happier note, one of the three leaders of the committee for this inititative has continued on her path towards membership in a sorority which allows members to join chapters not affiliated with a school (I don't want to post the name - I'm not entirely clear on if that's fair or appropriate on the forums). I'm SO happy for her, and she is very happy to be doing so, despite her disappointment in not being successful on our campus venture. The third committee leader and myself have not chosen that path; we simply did not find it to be a good fit after meeting some members. Both of us have been encouraged by our faculty adviser to perhaps consider recruitment as graduate students (as we are both in the process of applying to and waiting for responses from Master's programs, both in education [thus short-term programs]). Neither of us are sure how we feel about that suggestion, to be honest. I know that I, personally, have as my first choice a 2 year masters program at a school which frequently accepts undergrad girls as juniors, because the community college transfer rate is quite high. So perhaps accepting a young, 22 year old grad student is not so far off base as accepting a 20 year old who will also have 2 years in a chapter; however, while I've thought about it I am still unsure - A) unsure if I will be accepted to the university and B) unsure if recruitment at 22 is a good idea - I know it's very uncommon, and I don't want to look a fool. I *know* I have the drive, desire and commitment to be Greek - I think I've demonstrated that already. But still, I'm not sure if grad recruitment is a viable path - I would like to give it a try, but I am trying my hardest not to get my hopes too high because I know that it is a very rare, uncommon route. I may just have to reconcile myself to the idea that despite my work and my desires, I may be just out of luck. I HATE admitting that kind of thing, it rubs me the wrong way ... but I'm not sure I have much control over it, anymore.

That's my story - Greek life at my university is, for - for now, at least, stalled. It's heartbreaking for those of us who put so much time into it, but it's true. I regret how things turned out, because I absolutely still feel the tug and impetus towards membership in a Greek organization - but what can I do, at this point?

If anyone's still reading, and has any feedback or ideas for how to proceed from here - one last dying-breath push from us, or anything that might help for the future of our school - please let me know.