GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,515
1 members and 1,514 guests
gatordeltapgh

Old 07-03-2013, 02:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Sometimes replacement quills had odd numbering. Also on occasion alumnae initiates had A followed by a number.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the info!!
Old 07-03-2013, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Seeing these new rescues makes me want a new badge but none have appeared for me. Never when I have the funds!
Old 07-03-2013, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know if any of the KDs at convention saw it, let alone got a picture of it, but the national president's badge has three rows of diamonds around the edge. I first saw it at the installation of a new chapter when I was an undergraduate, and you can't take your eyes off it.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins&Quills View Post
It just looks strange to me, never seen one that smooth, nor have I seen that particular engraving. Normally our quills are engraved with chapter number -- initiate number. I'm just so curious as all the pictures of old badges I've seen still followed the same numbering.
Interesting!

Our badges are engraved with the sister's initials, on the back of the gold bar that joins the letters together. No chapter information (unless, of course, you choose to get a chapter guard).

(Now I'm trying to remember if I ever posted pictures of the backs of my badges (AEPhi and local).)
Old 07-03-2013, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellfish View Post
I don't know if any of the KDs at convention saw it, let alone got a picture of it, but the national president's badge has three rows of diamonds around the edge. I first saw it at the installation of a new chapter when I was an undergraduate, and you can't take your eyes off it.

KD National President badge is indeed eye popping! She gets to keep it, too. Sigh. I also love the dagger piercing the national officers' badge holders. I wish we still focused on the dagger as the symbol rather than the WTF teddy bear (??how does that even relate to us at all? Or the nautilus shell...that was never seen until post 70s. Give me a weapon for a symbol any day.

Now, back to badges.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins&Quills View Post
I saw a quill up for sale, and thought that it looked rather strange... it's stamped 10k but it looks really fake and doesn't seem to have any of the normal etching. Also, the back is only engraved with A-1384. I know that's not how our badges are designated and was wondering if anyone knew why this was?

ETA: The listing says it is the seller's quill from 1974 when she was attending college. It just makes me sad that a member would sell their badge. It's not as though it's really taking up that much space.
I was initiated back in 1980. The quill badge that I received after I was initiated has an A -####. I purchased a pearl quill after I graduated. It was presented to me at Province Convention in 1983. It has a B-####. Neither set of numbers is my member number.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmandu View Post
KD National President badge is indeed eye popping! She gets to keep it, too. Sigh. I also love the dagger piercing the national officers' badge holders. I wish we still focused on the dagger as the symbol rather than the WTF teddy bear (??how does that even relate to us at all? Or the nautilus shell...that was never seen until post 70s. Give me a weapon for a symbol any day.

Now, back to badges.
I have a picture of one somewhere.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 07-04-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleMissGlitter View Post
Amazing badges! So you must be the sister who bought two from staff member Jackie! I'm so glad it was YOU! And even cooler you found her info online. The owner of my all-chased wrote a book and I found that out from google too! Congrats on your new badges! Sorry I didn't get to see you at Convention! It was a very busy but fun Convention!!
Sad to learn you two didn't see each other at Convention but oh AOIIAngel, that badge! It's stunning. So glad you have it now!
Old 07-04-2013, 11:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOIIalum View Post
Sad to learn you two didn't see each other at Convention but oh AOIIAngel, that badge! It's stunning. So glad you have it now!
Thanks! I wore it to work Tuesday. Convention was crazy. Wish you were there.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 07-04-2013, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raelee View Post
I was initiated back in 1980. The quill badge that I received after I was initiated has an A -####. I purchased a pearl quill after I graduated. It was presented to me at Province Convention in 1983. It has a B-####. Neither set of numbers is my member number.
That's really interesting! Maybe we did go through a phase when it was done differently. All pictures of the ones I've seen though, even from the same time are for example 072-1896, for the 72nd chapter (which would be Gamma Alpha/Cal State-San Diego) and then the member number. I just was just curious why the one for sale was engraved differently than I've seen.

And aephi_alum, from I what I know, the quills are engraved like that so that if it ever gets lost and sent back to headquarters, they can identify who it belongs to.

Last edited by Griffins&Quills; 07-09-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post

(Now I'm trying to remember if I ever posted pictures of the backs of my badges (AEPhi and local).)
I remember seeing a photo of your local badge but I don't remember seeing the back of an AEPhi pin. Please post both!

Old 07-04-2013, 06:47 PM
Banned

After reading the posts from AOPi Angel, I am curious if any other groups have such a thing where members can buy old badges at the conventions? I think that is a great idea, and if noone else does it, maybe others can follow.

Im sure its a great way to raise funds for "rescues" and for the societies "coffers". I think one idea that would be fun would be to auction off older badges that are rescued at the conventions. Could make for some fun and raise alot of funds for the organizations.

Just a thought......

BG
Old 07-08-2013, 07:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmandu View Post

Now, back to badges.
I love you. I hate that teddy bear.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:53 AM
GreekChat Member

I've seen the dagger piercing badge up close in real life; we have a KD national officer here. It is AWESOME. AOII Angel, remember seeing it at AZ-Alpha Xi's fundraiser we went to? I'll ask her if I can get a photo of it, but don't hold your breath, guys. Between my photo skills (sarcastic) and her traveling schedule, we might connect next Christmas!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity