GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,843
2 members and 2,841 guests
naraht

Old 10-20-2004, 06:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GreekFreak
Well this might be a bit off-topic since we're discussing psycho PNMs, but just THANK GOD (or your higher power of choice) these girls weren't found out to be psychos AFTER they pledged and were initiated!

I don't look back fondly on the token "psycho" of my chapter back in the day. It's funny how you never forget these things. This happened years ago, but just the other night, while talking on the phone with one of my best friends/sorority sisters, the topic of psycho people came up and my friend's like, "God, I remember how stressed we were that "Brenda" (not her real name) was going to commit suicide in the bathroom"...this happened every weekend! Let me tell you, having police cars and an ambulance in front of your chapter house every Saturday night can start to take a toll on your image, or at least make people wonder.

And ohhhhh, how I don't miss the snickers and comments from fellow Greeks who were privy to Brenda's latest crazy antics and psycho stunts. She was banned from one fraternity because she - and I'm not lying - showed up with a GUN and walked around with the thing pointed at her head, threatening to end it all if her boyfriend didn't take her back.

She was eventually asked to leave the house (they didn't force her to resign though) and almost got kicked out of school 'cuz she was so messed up. Ah, the sh*tty ol' days (some of them).

Again, this is off-topic, but I couldn't resist sharing what I consider a horror story. Some people.
Well if all of her sisters were as supportive as you, it's no surprise that she had these problems and continued to have these problems.

Obviously you haven't told the whole story, but maybe if you actually tried to get her some help she wouldn't have caused all that drama.

I also wonder if you're stretching the truth to make the story more entertaining. Showing up anywhere with a guy like that and threatening to kill someone will either get you thrown in jail or a mental institution.

Bottom line, if she was your sister, you should be ashamed to talk such trash on her now and didn't even bother to get her help then.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by preciousjeni
I'm afraid there are still way too many people who just consider mental illness "crazy" and would prefer to sweep it under the rug than to confront it head on. It's a shame that young college students leave school before getting help. Perhaps this is a topic for Greek seminars (or at least part of a topic!)

Great idea for a Greek seminar!
Old 10-20-2004, 09:20 AM

In the future, let's please stick to PNM's. I don't want anyone in here talking about their chapter sisters.

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chioprincess
stalker

So one year we had this girl come through recruitment. She wasn't memorable or anything. Anyways after recruitment, I went out for breakfast and I saw her, not remembering who she was and she was talking to me about how much she loved my sorority etc.. I was flattered and thanked her. She then told me she didn't get a bid and was practically crying over it. I have a soft spot for people who cry so I felt bad for her, and tried to console her.

A couple days later we received a letter from her telling us how much she loved us and how she wishes she was one of us and blah blah blah. It was touching but we had quota and there was obviously a reason she was dropped before hand. The next thing you know she is sending us chocolates and leaving letters for us all the time. She was roomates with one of our new members and her mother called up the new member and asked what was so great about her that we accepted her and not her daughter. It was so scary.

Sometimes she would just invite herself over the house and just sit on our couch. We were like.. umm you have to go now, we're getting ready for chapter. I felt so bad, but it was sort of scary and irritating.

I think she got the hint, and I do see her around campus and I say hi but I'm still a little freaked out by her!
Old 10-21-2004, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

In retrospect, my post probably did come off as harsh, judgemental, and as some have intimated, gossipy. My point was that in rare instances, some women (as it was in the case I described) look to their sorority to provide support when dealing with issues that are best dealt with by mental health pros or social service workers, even addiction counselors. To me, if a PNM is acting the way some have described in this thread, it's probably a red flag of sorts. And it's probably better that they're not a member of your chapter after all, because believe me, it's emotionally draining for everyone else.

kddani, just so you know, I don't need to "stretch" the truth because in this case, truth is much more dramatic than fiction. You have no idea. It's easy to be smug and write it all off as "the chapter should've supported their sister", but the problem is, that's the same manipulative line "Brenda" used to make the chapter hesitant to hold her accountable to her behavior.

The chapter absolutely bent over backwards numerous times to help (counseling, etc). The university also tried to help and, as a last resort, told her if she couldn't "get it together" (her behavior was that destructive) she would be kicked out of school. Our nationals absolutely wanted her out, but our chapter felt it wouldn't be right to terminate her, so they just asked her to leave mid-semester, after much soul searching.

At any rate, while silly and sometimes creepy, at the same time I think "psycho PNMs" like the ones described in this thread can be a red flag too. Good luck picking out the good ones!
Old 10-28-2004, 01:30 PM

*bumping*

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SDTSarah
I know this is an old thread, but I have a story.

We had a PNM repeatedly out one of our Rho Gammas. She was trying to tell everyone about how many girls she knew in SDT (she actually knew a fair amount of girls)...I guess she thought she was cool because she knew the PG's affiliation? Anyway, after the first time, another sister who knew her sat her down and said that it was perfectly fine to talk about the SDTs she knew, etc. etc...but obviously to refrain from talking about the PG. The PNM continued, even talking about it during mock rush. Here's the best part...
When the sister confronted her again, the PNM said our rush chair had outed the PG! Hahahaha...yeah, right.

Obvoiusly, she got cut, although she did get a bid from another sorority.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Long-distance information, give me Memphis, Tennessee!
Quote:
Originally posted by elizlang_ast
Okay, this wasn't just an individual psycho PNM, it was a whole group...

AST is on a few campuses where they are the only NPC sorority. On this particular campus, AST had been there a good 40+ years. Anyway, one of the local groups, not knowing the official way of "going National" and not bothering to find out, decided on their choice by looking up the other NPC sororities on the internet. Once they found the sorority they liked (btw, it was b/c of the colors and the mascot that they made their choice), they all went out and got letter shirts, t-shirts, buttons, car stickers, etc. and proclaimed themselves members of XYZ! Needless to say, XYZ's headquarters got word of their "new chapter" rather quickly and called the group to say that they were flattered by their choice, but they had gone about it the wrong way...
Aww, cute but sad
Old 09-01-2006, 11:26 AM

This is an oldie but goodie that I started, annnnd it's that time of year again!

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM_Mama00
Maybe she was a decoy from a rival sorority? Trying to get you guys to break recruitment rules? That sounds like a really fishy story if she didn't even go through.
That's actually what I thought when I read that.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

There must be something about "Sigma". All the prior posts covered one "psycho/stalker"
Sigma Alpha Epsilon has a group! Some how a group in the Philippines has gotten into their heads over the years that somehow they are part of SAE. Their full name: Society of Agricultural Engineering but they over the years have shortened it to SAE/Sigma Alpha Epsilon. And they pop up in any greek group ( including this one ) looking for Brothers.
I have always wondered if they have ever tried to make contact with the other SAE- Society of Automotive Engineering
Old 09-03-2006, 12:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Speaking of girls calling themselves "honorary" whatever, there's a girl at my school that I had some classes with freshman year who is, like, best friends from high school with an XYZ here. She's rushed I think twice but hasn't gotten in. I don't know exactly why but if I could range a guess, I'd say it's either grades or the fact that she doesn't exactly fit in with them "physically" if you know what I mean. Even so, she still calls herself an "honorary" or "adopted" XYZ (it's on her Facebook!) and goes to a lot of their functions and I've even seen her wearing date function shirts, throwing up the XYZ hand sign in pictures, and writing in a notebook with XYZ letters on it. I don't know the whole story but I am 100% sure she is NOT and has NEVER BEEN an XYZ, and yet she still does those things and I guess they don't have a problem with it because she's been doing it for well over a year now...I just saw her the other day in a shirt from XYZ's annual philantrophy. I half expected to see her when I went through Recruitment at that house! Weeeeeeeeird.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:02 PM

Wow. I can't believe that I was a new member when I started this thread. Haha.

Anyways, I wanted to update on the "psycho". The member she was good friends with went inactive this semester for medical reasons. But she's apparently still interested in joining.

She's in a class with one of our girls (who is fairly new and really didn't know about the psycho) and asked her if we were doing informal recruitment this winter. Later on at chapter dinner, we were talking, and she casually mentioned that "some girl in my class named Susie Psycho asked me if Sigma was doing informal."

You should've seen our faces because everyone at the table knew who she was talking about!

Since it's formal recruitment time, she said she just told her about recruitment and how to sign up. So we're holding our breath to see if she comes through!

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 09-03-2006 at 03:08 PM.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

dzrose93's psycho PNM story tops everything I've ever heard...where is that thing, in the Weird Rush Stories?

ETA: Got it! Read below:

dzrose93

Warning - long story...
I can't remember if I've told this story in another thread or not, so here goes:

There was a girl who went through Formal Rush while I was a junior. In the middle of Rush, which occured a few days before classes started in the fall, the girl was kicked out of her dorm for conduct reasons (if I remember correctly, she physically attacked her roommate) and had to leave school before the quarter started. Therefore, she had to drop out of Rush.

She came back the next year, and rushed formally again. However, by this time all of the sororities had heard about her being kicked out of the dorm and no one gave her a bid. This didn't stop her. She attended every informal rush party held on campus, regardless of what sorority was holding it.

She came to our informal rushes in the winter and spring, and both times she was cut before our invite-only party (which was informal rush's version of a pref party). At the end of Spring rush, our VP of membership personally called each girl who was not given a bid so that they would not show up at the Panhellenic office and be embarrassed in front of the girls who did receive bids.

This girl showed up at the Panhellenic office anyway! She waited around in the hall as the rest of our new girls picked up their bids and then, as the last girl was leaving the office with our VP of membership, she stopped them in the hallway and demanded to know where her bid was! The VP tried to pull her aside and quietly explain (AGAIN) that she didn't receive a bid, but the girl wouldn't hear of it. She made a huge scene in the hallway (which is in the center of our Student Union where tons of people were walking by), screaming at our VP about how she should have been given a bid and what terrible people our sisters were to have not extended her one. Unfortunately, the story doesn't end there...

Apparently, this girl's mother was just as crazy as her daughter...

I was president at the time all this happened (lucky me ) and received a very nasty letter from mommy dearest basically saying that she would make sure Delta Zeta would pay for "abusing" her daughter. Around the same time I received a call from the Student Affairs director. The mother had called him, crying about how her daughter had been emotionally abused by our sorority and how we had violated Panhellenic's policy stating that rushees are entitled to fair, ethical treatment by NPC organizations during the rush process. So, I had to take the VP of Membership to the meeting with me (along with a copy of the nasty letter) to explain why the girl wasn't extended a bid. We had to tell the director exactly how our informal rush process works (basically, interested girls show up to open parties and the ones we like are invited back to one final party before bids are extended). We explained that we did everything in our power to prevent anyone who was cut from being "embarrassed." We also mentioned the girl's history of rushing every other sorority on campus and not being picked up, in addition to her history of being a conduct problem in her old dormitory. That, combined with psycho mom's letter, were enough to prove our point.

In the end, my chapter was cleared of all the false accusations and the girl ended up pledging a local sorority. One of my best friends was a member of the local, and tried to warn the girls that they were asking for trouble, but at the time their policy was to accept nearly all interested rushees so they took the girl. She lasted a few months before causing all kinds of turmoil among the girls and being kicked out.

Last edited by carnation; 09-03-2006 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:02 AM
Unregistered-

I think it's an appropriate time to BUMP this thread!