GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,128
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, baadamashtolzea
» Online Users: 1,264
1 members and 1,263 guests
Sarak24034

Old 05-03-2003, 05:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to USChica06
I'm in NROTC at my college and our Orientation week was the week before rush week. We were told by the Navy to bring specific items. I had so much stuff to bring for the Navy that I didn't have room for much else. That meant that clothes other than uniforms would be sent later.

There were three packages my mother sent me at school:
Some clothes and bare necessities.
Bed Sheets.
Other clothes.

Well, the "other clothes" box had my nice clothes, shoes, hair dryer, and make-up in it. And it arrived my 3rd day of rush.

However, it I had already been cut by 7 out of the 9.

I think I was cut based on looks, but then again, I probably would have cut me too. The nicest thing I had was khakis. I had a t-shirt on, and sandals that were coming apart. My hair was tied back and I looked like a mess.

The other two cut me after the 4th day, right before Preference.

But, it turned out to be a really bad time to rush for me personally. So, it's best that happened. Hopefully, the second time is a charm!!!!!!!
Old 05-03-2003, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

Just tell me that you didn't crawl out of the bathroom window to escape the wallpaper, and I'll be happy!

Why does that one story just really make me laugh so hard!!!

(edited to add: at the bottom of page nine of this thread)

Last edited by honeychile; 05-03-2003 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-03-2003, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Before I left the service sorority, I went to rush and ended up being the one to call back one of the girls to tell her we decided not to extend her a bid. One of the sisters, trying to be funny, listed as her 2 interview questions: Have you done anything illegal, and would you do it again? She told us that she had stolen a bunch of stuff from her work when they closed because they weren't going to do inventory, that she didn't feel bad about it, and that she didn't know if she would do it again. This had just been a few months before. We were very small, and had most of the events in our houses, so besides the integrity issue, we were worried about if she would take our stuff or not. We cut her, and I just found out that one of the NPC groups picked her up during COB. Not really looking forward to seeing her during rush this fall...
Old 07-07-2003, 01:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
Well this isn't about being cut during recruitment, but I think it's why I didn't get picked as a Rho Chi for next semester. I went to the interview and it was going GREAT! I mean, they (Panhellenic Pres, VP: Membership, and Rho Chi Educator) asked all the right questions and I had all the right answers! We got along great, they were easy to talk to and everything...THEN the last question they asked me (and this was more in just casual conversation than in interview style), "Why didn't you RUSH as a freshman?" I jumped right in with the honest answer, which was that my freshman year roommate was rushing and was totally psycho!! It gave me the impression that sorority girls were going to be similar to her. I told them that apparently the sororities saw how psycho she was because she didn't get a bid anywhere...well then, they laughed (relating to bad roommate experiences) and asked who it was...I told them the girls name and then the Pres and Rho Chi educator looked at each other and suddenly stopped laughing...apparently, my freshman year terrible roomie rushed her sophomore year and was picked up by their sorority!!! Talk about foot in mouth disease!!!

Edited to add that after her sophomore year, the same girl transfered to another school and was denyed affiliation with the chapter at the transfer school.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WhiteDaisy128
Well this isn't about being cut during recruitment, but I think it's why I didn't get picked as a Rho Chi for next semester. I went to the interview and it was going GREAT! I mean, they (Panhellenic Pres, VP: Membership, and Rho Chi Educator) asked all the right questions and I had all the right answers! We got along great, they were easy to talk to and everything...THEN the last question they asked me (and this was more in just casual conversation than in interview style), "Why didn't you RUSH as a freshman?" I jumped right in with the honest answer, which was that my freshman year roommate was rushing and was totally psycho!! It gave me the impression that sorority girls were going to be similar to her. I told them that apparently the sororities saw how psycho she was because she didn't get a bid anywhere...well then, they laughed (relating to bad roommate experiences) and asked who it was...I told them the girls name and then the Pres and Rho Chi educator looked at each other and suddenly stopped laughing...apparently, my freshman year terrible roomie rushed her sophomore year and was picked up by their sorority!!! Talk about foot in mouth disease!!!

Edited to add that after her sophomore year, the same girl transfered to another school and was denyed affiliation with the chapter at the transfer school.

OHMYGAWD!!! Did you just die on the spot? Did they tell you your psycho roomie was in their house right then and there or what? Ack! That has got to be one of the most embarassing stories I have ever heard!!
Old 07-07-2003, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
Yeah, they told me right on the spot that she had ended up joining their GLO. I tried to play it off cool and say that people change alot between their freshman and sophomore year, but it was so awkward. I'm positive that it's the reason I wasn't picked as a Rho Chi...and I REALLY wanted it!!! I was so mad at myself.
Old 01-30-2004, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Hmmm... embarrassing rush story?:

Rushing as a soph (esp at a school that only has formal rush, and only during spring semester), I knew a lot about all of the sororities but tried to keep at least somewhat of an open mind, since we had to go to all 6 the first 2 days. The first day I was surprised that I really liked some of the sororities I didn't think i would, but then I went to XYZ who I had anticipated not liking, and it was so much worse than I expected. Maybe its because I was their last party of the day, but the girl I spoke to didn't start conversation AT ALL... we just kinda stared at eachother for about 30 seconds (which seemed like hours) and finally I was like, "sooooo... I'm a soph," to break the ice. It was painful. The second day (we still had to go to all 6) wasn't any better. I told my rho chi that if I had to go to one more XYZ event I would shoot myself. (OOPS!!! It turned out one of my rho chi's was an XYZ... everyone was so sure she was an ABC so I never even considered she was in that other sorority)
Old 02-02-2004, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

GREAT thread idea!
This is something I never knew till AFTER I had graduated...
When I went through recruitment, I had my heart set on an organization, so when I got asked back to them for third round(right before pref) and because I thought I had really connected with some of the girls, I felt so good. When I got to their philanthropy round, the girl that picked me up(we will call her RUSHER) said she was also from FL and and I that she had gone to my high school for her freshman year but had moved after that(and since she was a senior when I was rushing, she was long gone by the time I got to high school) She asked me if when I was at that school, had I known "Jane Doe", and me, being all excited about ANOTHER connection was like " oh yes, she is sooooo sweet--I knew her pretty well--we were in musicals together, blah, blah, blah"
The truth was, I did know the girl and we had been in musicals together , but I would not have considered her a good friend or anything.
Afterward, the girl rushing me was fine and we talked some more and I left thinking "I am soooo in at XYZ--I knew JANE DOE!!"
When I got my invites back the next day, I had been cut. I was DEVASTATED but I dealt with it okay and ended up LOVING AOTT and being a proud sister. I never really talked to anyone about being cut because it did really hurt.
Fast forward to my first year out of college and we are all at my BF from HS friend Sarah's house, talking about high school and random gossip and this girl who talked to me at that parties name comes up and I was like "wow, I never told you all this but she rushed me at XYZ and she seemed really sweet and asked me if I knew Jane Doe and I said I knew her but then XYZ dropped me--it was such a bad time"
They all look at me funny and are like "Les, the reason RUSHER transferred was she broke up Jane Doe and her boyfriend and Jane Doe made her life a LIVING HELL for a whole year". I had not known this but I guess everyone of my friends who had older brothers and sisters had heard the stories of how awful this girl was to her.
Moral of the story---just because you think you feel this connection, doesn't mean its for the right reason!!
I actually live in fear at times that maybe that RUSHER would have taken me and then made my life a living hell for being friends with Jane Doe!!
Old 02-02-2004, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I was cut from one house because of their high grade point average requirement. We had 6 sororities at the time and I was invited back to 5 for preference round and we could choose 2. My embarassing story did not cause me to get cut, but it made me look stupid. It was the first party of my two preference parties. At the end I walked out the door and sat down on the front porch and started crying uncontrollably. Still to this day I think it was because I felt bad because I was not going there. But whatever it was, some Rho Gam's came flying out the doors to make sure I was ok because it was such a scene. haha OOPS! I ended up joining the other sorority and would not change it for the world!

Other sorority=ADPi of course!!
Old 02-29-2004, 04:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Adelphean1851 Send a message via Yahoo to Adelphean1851
I know this thread is a little old but i'll post my story anyway. At UNLV, at least when I went through rush there were 5 Orgs., AGD and DZ were the top houses on campus, they also had a reputation for cutting hevily. This was circa 1999 when those little hair scarfs and bandanas were in style and I am a very low hair maintence kind of girl so since my hair was longish at the time I loved them, and wore them alot. In fact I wore a diffrent one on every day of rush except pref I think. So during rush I kind of got the nickname "bandanna girl". Thinking back on my rush room expirences that is the only reason I can think of that those groups cut me I mean I diddn't say any thing really stupid or anything. Oh well I knew ADPi was where I belonged from day one anyway. my sisters loved me bandannas and all.

Another really funny story that kind of relates is when I went to Alpha ceremony. We had been told to dress up, now, they diddn't exactly specify what kind of dressed up, I guess they assumed we knew sunday best was what they wanted. So me and my dumb a** gets all decked out for the club (I don't know what i was thinking) in a rather provactive red dress and, believe it or not a feather boa. I just know my sisters were shaking their heads in disbelief. I'm suprised they diddn't make me change (they did make me leave the feathers behind though) To this day i'm still embarassed about that.
Old 02-29-2004, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
An oldie but a goodie...

Seriously, I think this thread needs to be bumped every few months, because everyone needs a sense of humor about FR.

Here's one I don't think I posted...

I went to a certain chapter, and this girl was showing me her photo album, and there were pics of her at formal with my brother's roommate. I mean, like 5 or 6 of them. I was like, "Oh, you are dating Benny? He is such a nice guy!" She responded, "no, he was the DJ." I know I got a weird look on my face, because who would do that??? I mean, one pic with a cute DJ is one thing, but 5???
Old 02-29-2004, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Adelphean1851

Another really funny story that kind of relates is when I went to Alpha ceremony. We had been told to dress up, now, they diddn't exactly specify what kind of dressed up, I guess they assumed we knew sunday best was what they wanted. So me and my dumb a** gets all decked out for the club (I don't know what i was thinking) in a rather provactive red dress and, believe it or not a feather boa. I just know my sisters were shaking their heads in disbelief. I'm suprised they diddn't make me change (they did make me leave the feathers behind though) To this day i'm still embarassed about that.
I probably shouldn't be saying this, but...

You know how every GLO has some sort of "pledge" ceremony that starts with someone saying, "Repeat after me: I, your name." (Think Animal House)? Well, I'm one of an entire pledge class who did say, "I, your name..."!!! I remember a sister stage-whispering, "I'm so glad that I'm not in charge of this bunch!"
Old 02-29-2004, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ku_agd
Ok, here's a my story on why I think I got cut from a chapter:

We were doing a house tour and we got to the upstiars where all the bedrooms were. Well my guide took me in to one of the bathrooms and was shwoing me around. Just then one of her sisters walked by and I turned to her and said, "Oh, I really like your shower curtains." Her sister looke at me strangley and then just walked away. I felt so stupid.

Everything was going really well till then so that's the reason I think I got cut.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to polarpi
Quote:
Originally posted by honeychile
I probably shouldn't be saying this, but...

You know how every GLO has some sort of "pledge" ceremony that starts with someone saying, "Repeat after me: I, your name." (Think Animal House)? Well, I'm one of an entire pledge class who did say, "I, your name..."!!! I remember a sister stage-whispering, "I'm so glad that I'm not in charge of this bunch!"
Honey, I'm sure you're not the only one who's done that. I think a number of "pledge" ceremonies with my chapter had that same thing happen there....and it's even worse when there's only a couple new members going through the ceremony rather than a large number!
Old 03-01-2004, 01:18 PM

On the second day of recruitment, one of the projects at XYZ was to make these little stuffed animal things. It required the use of the hot glue gun. I'm the farthest thing from artistic. I kept burning myself with the hot glue gun. I think that the temperature was set too high because the glue was oozing everywhere whereas the other girls around me had to squeeze the glue gun to get a drop of the glue out. The glue made a stringy mess all over me and my clothing. The girl who was rushing me was so snotty about it. She either could have laughed it off as one of those things that happens or she could've been a snob about it. She chose to be a snob while her sisters who were sitting around me were sympathetic to my glue gun problem. I just laughed off the whole incident and said to the girl, "I guess this is the reason I'm not an art major." She said to me, "Well, I'm an art major" and proceeded to get all offended by my comment. I had no idea how my comment could've been offensive but whatever. I pretty much knew I wasn't going to be asked back. I guess that's once of the fallacies of sorority rush is that if you get stuck with someone that you just don't click with than you can get cut; I had gotten along real well with the girl I met the day before.