GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,626
2 members and 1,624 guests
LaneSig, TLLK

Old 09-26-2011, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

My Colonization Story

So my story starts out at spring formal recruitment last year. I was (sadly) not given a bid and I took the news very poorly. I was really devastated and didn't understand why no house wanted me. I was also very obsessed with stereotypes so that didn't help either!

Anyway, things really turned around and I believe I grew as a person. I stopped caring about silly stereotypes (that were usually not true anyway!) and really involved myself with my non-greek friends and other activities on campus.

A new sorority is colonizing on campus this fall and I was ready to give it a try. I knew this was NOT going to be an easy way into greek life. There were over 200 girls rushing and the sorority was planning to take around 100. I was especially nervous about my chances because I was going to be missing a few of the events because of a field trip off campus. So, that just meant I had to make a good impression at the events I did attend! So, here's the outline of my rush experience!

Info session: I wasn't 100% on board until I went to the info session. Representatives talked to us about the plan for the sorority and how they were going to help the sorority get things started. I had two really close friends rushing with me so I was super excited!

Interview: This was a group interview with three rushees and a national representative. I thought it went really well and I actually really liked the other girls in my group! We mainly talked about what we would contribute to the sorority and what activities we were already involved in on campus.

Party: This was one of the events that I had to miss. Girls from nearby chapters came and visited, so I'm sorry I missed it! It would've been fun to meet other girls already in the sorority.

The next events were invitation only. I was still on my trip away from campus but I was SO excited to open up my e-mail and find that I had received an invitation!!! But, I found out one of my friends didn't and one had. So, there were some mixed feelings about one of my friends not getting an invite. But she was a really good sport about it and was happy for me and my other friend.

Pref Night: I missed this event too because of my trip and I heard there were cupcakes so that made me sad. lol

Then....it was time to wait for bid day. I was coming back late on the night that we were supposed to receive e-mails about bids. I came back almost immediately to find that I had received a bid! And so did my friend! I was really surprised! I was SO afraid that missing out on two events would hurt my involvement through rush, but I'm glad it didn't!

We are now sisters of.....

PHI SIGMA SIGMA

I already posted on the forums somewhere that I was in Phi Sigma Sigma, but the big reveal thing everyone does at the end of their story looked fun, so I had to do it. :P

Anyway, bid day was so much fun! We got to meet some of our sisters, and they had an a cappella group come in and perform for us! At the very end, they revealed a table that they had covered to have shirts and bags for us! It was all so exciting! I am very proud to say that I am a founding member of a Phi Sigma Sigma chapter!

Last edited by RedLipstick; 09-26-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-26-2011, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations!
Old 09-26-2011, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

how wonderful!!! congratulations to you and your new sisters!
Old 09-26-2011, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Awesome! COngratulations!