GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,128
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, baadamashtolzea
» Online Users: 1,220
3 members and 1,217 guests
baadamashtolzea, indygphib, Sarak24034

Old 09-17-2011, 04:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMrushee11 View Post
So here's how my story ended (with a twist).....

Everyone was gathered in the gym, anxious to open their bids. I was excited because I was pretty confident that I was gonna be a KIWI!!!! That is, until I opened the envelope....

Turns out, the Kiwis had cut me after pref night and decided not to offer me a bid. Instead, I got a bid offer from the BANANAS. I was devestated. I really thought I was going to get a bid from Kiwis, and I felt like a total fool telling them how much I wanted to be there.
Because of my previous post, I'm debating whether or not to reveal the sorority's name, partially because I've actually grown to love my sisters and feel sort of bad for "bashing" them.
As we preach here again and again, there are tons of great chapters that just don't shine during formal recruitment.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

hooray for you! so glad that you are giving your sorority your all.

i understand your hesitance to reveal which sorority you are a member of. we are just glad that you came back and let us know what happened.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Good for you giving Bananas a chance! I'm so glad you have found a home and are happy with your sisters.

The longer I read GC, the more convinced I am that the process of women finding the right home works. Not perfectly, but it works. If only all PNMs would understand that you end up where you end up for a reason. Every chapter knows which PNMs would be a good fit for their chapter and which ones would be better suited elsewhere. It's always encouraging to read stories like this one.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:53 AM

I totally understand you not wanting to out your chapter.

On the other hand, the best resource a chapter has is its newest members. NOT NOW, but maybe next semester when your chapter is talking about rush - tell them (a little more gently) some of the things you told us. Like about the skit being sorta blah, etc. If a lot of the members joined through COB, they may not have gotten to see other chapters to compare and contrast.

I hope you have a wonderful time with your new sisters!!
Old 09-18-2011, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I totally understand you not wanting to out your chapter.

On the other hand, the best resource a chapter has is its newest members. NOT NOW, but maybe next semester when your chapter is talking about rush - tell them (a little more gently) some of the things you told us. Like about the skit being sorta blah, etc. If a lot of the members joined through COB, they may not have gotten to see other chapters to compare and contrast.

I hope you have a wonderful time with your new sisters!!
This is excellent advice! The first year I was an advisor I was thrown in at the last minute, we had a pretty unsuccessful recruitment. The chapter didn't even come close to making quota, the other chapters made quota easily. I was from a campus that was totally different, so I didn't really know what to tell them. I ran into one of the women who went through recruitment that year but pledged a different chapter. I happened to know her outside of that context. I asked her if I could pick her brain about a few things and she was a wealth of information. I used the information she had told me about why she liked her chapter so much and why she chose them to help the chapter change their strategies for the better.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMrushee11 View Post
So here's how my story ended (with a twist).....

Everyone was gathered in the gym, anxious to open their bids. I was excited because I was pretty confident that I was gonna be a KIWI!!!! That is, until I opened the envelope....

Turns out, the Kiwis had cut me after pref night and decided not to offer me a bid. Instead, I got a bid offer from the BANANAS. I was devestated. I really thought I was going to get a bid from Kiwis, and I felt like a total fool telling them how much I wanted to be there.
Because of my previous post, I'm debating whether or not to reveal the sorority's name, partially because I've actually grown to love my sisters and feel sort of bad for "bashing" them.
This sounds exactly how my recruitment ended last year. I'm really glad you could get past your devastation and eventually fall in love with your sorority. I honestly believe everyone would fall in love with the house that picked them if they at least gave it a chance.
Congrats to you, and whatever house you ended up in! I'm proud of you for sticking it out even though it wasn't your first choice. Not a lot of people do that, and they end up missing out.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Rushee, thank you for sharing your story with us. It sounds like you got over your initial disappointment and are having a great time. Good for you for giving the chapter a chance. I agree with 33girl- your experience can be valuable info for next year's recruitment. And,finally, congratulations!