GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,281
2 members and 2,279 guests
Cookiez17, MSKKG

Old 09-22-2007, 02:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
It's still stupid.
Now that I can agree upon... I would not want a "renewable marriage license"...

I tried to get a "covenant license", but Washington does not have one...

Besides, if I decided to leave and divorce my husband, it would be a clean break... I'm outta there.

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-22-2007, 02:31 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know what this world is coming to. Doesn't look like anyone is taking relationships and marriage seriously anymore. That's sad.

If you mention FWB (friends with benefits) or in other words "Let's just screw" jokers are down with that program 100%. That's trifling as hell.
Romans 1:16
Old 09-23-2007, 04:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I disagree with the idea that marriages should be renewable.

If you don't want to make a commitment that is ostensibly for life, then don't. Or choose to get divorced when it is no longer working. That's why no fault divorces exist these days.
Exactly. For heaven's sake, it's a MARRIAGE, not a gym membership. I can't even remember to renew my driver's license, let alone my marriage license. I'm glad I don't live in Bavaria...though I hear their creme is off the chain.

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl
Old 09-25-2007, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I agree. Plus, what if you don't WANT to have to renew it. Imagine the legal issues if you miss the deadline by accident.
I think this is a lame attempt from their government hoping people WILL forget to renew it and charge some outrageous reinstatement fee.

I still believe marriage is an issue that should be maintained according to one's religion. This just seems like another opportunity for secular society to make divorce even more convenient than what it is. What ever happened to working through your problems. No one ever said it would be easy!

ΚΔΠ Education Honor Society
Old 09-25-2007, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Educatingblue View Post
I think this is a lame attempt from their government hoping people WILL forget to renew it and charge some outrageous reinstatement fee.

I still believe marriage is an issue that should be maintained according to one's religion. This just seems like another opportunity for secular society to make divorce even more convenient than what it is. What ever happened to working through your problems. No one ever said it would be easy!
I'm all for having all civil unions be called that and making marriage a religious-only term. But not this renewal thing....
Old 09-27-2007, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to coco_swing
been lurking for a while now...hey GC!

^what about those that follow no religion. No marraige for them, then?
Supporting Women In Need of Growth
http://cocosblackcoffee.blogspot.com/
Old 09-27-2007, 10:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coco_swing View Post
^what about those that follow no religion. No marraige for them, then?
I think people will still call it marriage either way. However if what the state gives is legally given a completely secular name it will keep people from claiming that a civil union of two gay people infringes on their religion.

Thus everyone could have the same rights. Just my opinion.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

forgot to comment on the OP:

While I find the idea interesting, I believe marraige is (or at least should attempt to be) a life-long committment. If for whatever reason, the marraige is not working, the option for divorce is still on the table...which kind of makes an expiration date useless.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I think people will still call it marriage either way. However if what the state gives is legally given a completely secular name it will keep people from claiming that a civil union of two gay people infringes on their religion.

Thus everyone could have the same rights. Just my opinion.
I can see where you are coming from with that, but it seems like giving gay marraige/civil union/un-religious marraige a different name would create a "seperate but equal" type of thing. It more than likely will create a stigma where marraige (as in the religious union) would be put on a pedistal, while [enter the new secular union name] would be shunned.

Besides, where would that leave a homosexual who practices Christianity?
Old 09-28-2007, 12:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I can see where you are coming from with that, but it seems like giving gay marraige/civil union/un-religious marraige a different name would create a "seperate but equal" type of thing. It more than likely will create a stigma where marraige (as in the religious union) would be put on a pedistal, while [enter the new secular union name] would be shunned.

Besides, where would that leave a homosexual who practices Christianity?
Every married couple would receive a civil union. When you get married you have to have a license from the state.. that would be a civil union license. IF you wanted a marriage ceremony from any religion then that's your choice.

You cannot force a religion to practice its sacraments on anyone. A gay Christian would have legal recognition of his or her union, just not necessarily a religious one. Or he or she could convert to a sect that allows gay marriages.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
What they really should do is make it harder to get married and easier to get divorced.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Every married couple would receive a civil union. When you get married you have to have a license from the state.. that would be a civil union license. IF you wanted a marriage ceremony from any religion then that's your choice.

You cannot force a religion to practice its sacraments on anyone. A gay Christian would have legal recognition of his or her union, just not necessarily a religious one. Or he or she could convert to a sect that allows gay marriages.
I was referring to the term "marraige", not the religious ceremony....they are not mutually exclusive. I agree, no religious leader should be forced to perform a marraige ceremony he doesn't agree with, no less one that deviates from his religion. It is his/her right to refuse to do so.

However, I tend to disagree with the suggestion that the term "marraige" be replaced with the term "civil union" for people who don't fit the mold. Marraige is a legal union and can be a religious union, if one do so chooses. But, marraiges and marraige liscenses are both governed by the state, not the church/mosque/temple/etc. I believe any changes in the law to redefine the concept of "marraige" and who is elligible under the new term is not only unnecessary, but unconstitutional.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Pi Phi View Post
What they really should do is make it harder to get married and easier to get divorced.
lol! I'm for it!
Old 10-01-2007, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I was referring to the term "marraige", not the religious ceremony....they are not mutually exclusive. I agree, no religious leader should be forced to perform a marraige ceremony he doesn't agree with, no less one that deviates from his religion. It is his/her right to refuse to do so.

However, I tend to disagree with the suggestion that the term "marraige" be replaced with the term "civil union" for people who don't fit the mold. Marraige is a legal union and can be a religious union, if one do so chooses. But, marraiges and marraige liscenses are both governed by the state, not the church/mosque/temple/etc. I believe any changes in the law to redefine the concept of "marraige" and who is elligible under the new term is not only unnecessary, but unconstitutional.
Sorry but can you spell it properly please?

There's no constitutional issue if the name is changed for everyone. As I said, I don't anticipate the majority of people changing the terminology that they use just because the government does. Civil Unions would not just be the term used for people who don't "fit the mold" by which I assume you mean same-sex couples. Currently marriage licenses are governed by the state, all I'm suggesting is changing the name to union licenses or civil union licenses.

This isn't redefining the concept of marriage, it is an attempt to keep people who feel that marriage is a religious rite from preventing same-sex marriages on those grounds. In an ideal world, this wouldn't be necessary, but just because this isn't the best solution doesn't mean it isn't a viable one. And many of the "best" solutions are just not going to happen any time soon.

Same sex couples would be able to get married in any sect that allowed it just as they are today. However, with or without that they would be afforded the civil recognition and the rights of any married couple today.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Can't anyone commit to anything nowadays?

Marriage is a life-long commitment. If you don't think you can handle it, then don't get married. Understandbly things can happen over time (no one can predict the future), and the relationship can change making divorce necessary. But so many people nowadays seem to enter into marriage with such a blase attitude.

I made a life-long vow to my husband in front of my closest family and friends. And I intend to uphold those vows. I don't need some government telling me my marriage has expired. I doubt that would ever happen here [Canada] though since everyone is allowed to marry.