GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Gamma
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,449
0 members and 1,449 guests
No Members online

Old 06-02-2004, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Help me incorporate KKG into my wedding?!

Hi Ladies!

I just joined today (was pointed here by the lovely rialucia at LiveJournal -- we're members of the kappakappagamma community over there).

I just got engaged a week ago but already we're excited about planning our big day (September '05 probably). I remember as an active (I'm alumnae - graduated '99 from GWU, Gamma Chi) that our TC once mentioned that there are "things" you can do in your wedding that are "Kappa". I always assumed they were secret because she didn't elaborate, and that whatever "they" were, they wouldn't be noticeable to the non-Kappa guests. Well, now that it's relevant to me, I'm kicking myself for not asking more questions at the time! I'm hoping you ladies might have some ideas! I know that it may be sketchy to post them here as it's a public forum, so feel free to PM me.

Also, our Song Chairs were always lacking in the new song department -- we were a primarily Lovely Girl, On The Heart Of Each Sister, Dream Awhile, Pat chapter. I don't remember us really doing any other songs (except the formal meeting ritual songs, you know...). I'd LOVE any/all mp3s etc. you guys might have of our snogs -- I'm hoping to have all my pledge sisters (oh I feel old -- I know now we're all New Members) up to visit before my wedding for a fake lock-in and we're all just cheesy enough to sing the songs. I read through the forum and saw that some of you have slideshows too, I'd love anything you've got!

I also just learned that you can send files for free using You Send It - http://s11.yousendit.com/ Files up to 1GB and I don't think you have to join or anything - I just got a song sent to me that way (our first dance song!) and it worked great! Anything you can send me, I'll love you forever!!

L&L,
Jen
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-02-2004, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey I am in a different GLO but I've been at weddings where some of our songs are played and just the "sisters" come out and sing and dance to them.

As pledges we often were required to make a dance/change some lyrics to go along with our pledge class. I know that one of the classes before me made up a whole routine to the song "Respect" and I've seen them go out and re-enact the whole thing at other events.

A sister from that class got married a couple years ago and played it at her wedding.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Great idea! Our pledge class changed the words to Summer Lovin' ("Fall pledgin' had me a blast.....Fall pledgin' happened so fast...met a girl crazy like me...we owe it all to KKG...") I think I even have the words in a scrapbook! I should make all my pledge sisters bring their Pink Ladies shirts (we all made them for Halloween) and sing it! Too funny.

I miss my Kappa Days!!
Old 06-02-2004, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

that's so cute! just picture everyone with their shirts over their dresses singing at your wedding! it would definately be a positive about greek life to show how it goes way beyond college. and if you have a dj i am sure he will give you all sunglasses to wear too LOL
Old 06-02-2004, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's a picture from my wedding, all the Kappas serenading my husband with "Legs":

Legs like Ava Gardner, a figure like Bardot
And when it comes to lovin she will never let go
'cause she's a Kappa! (chi chi boom, chi chi boom, chi chi boom)
'cause she's a Kappa Kappa Gamma, until the day she dies

And when she came to college, she caused quite a stir
The other girls were jealous, they were jealous of her
'cause she's a Kappa Kappa Gamma, until the day she dies
ba da da dum DUM!!!
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

That's awesome!! I've never heard that song! Boo to our Song Chairs!! "Rah Rah" was as "fun" as our songs got! (Well, that and "Take Your Man Around The Corner" - but that's another story
Old 06-02-2004, 07:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Well, obviously I don't know of any uniquely Kappa "things" but some generic things that can be adapted to any sorority are as follows:

If you have a cake pull, have Kappa-related charms (I have seen both keys and fleurs-de-lis)
If your bridesmaids are Kappas, have them carry your flower in their bouquets
Wear the MOH's badge as your "something borrowed"
Wear a garter that is Kappa colors
Sing your husband the sweetheart song w/your sisters
Old 06-02-2004, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sherbertlemons
Just thought I'd post the lyrics to our sweetheart song:

Sweetheart, Sweetheart of mine
Sweetheart of KKG
Sweetheart, Say you'll be mine
Mine for all time to be
Say that you'll love me when we're gray and old
Say that you'll cherish this dear badge of gold
Sweetheart, Sweetheart of mine
Sweetheart of KKG

I know the tune is a pretty well known song but I can't figure out for the life of me what it is.

If you have the budget, it might be neat to give all your sisters iris corsages.

Oh, and congratulations on your engagement! Here's hoping you have many happy years together.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Here's a link to a previous thread in the Kappa forum, where I list the Kappa touches I used at my wedding!!

http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showth...hlight=wedding
Old 06-03-2004, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks! Those are awesome! I hadn't seen that thread!
Old 06-13-2004, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I worked a wedding last night and the DJ did the cutest thing! It's not Kappa-related, but I would like to share anyway because it made me & another girl I work with (who is also a Kappa) cry and we swear that we will do it at our weddings!

Have the DJ play Alan Jackson's song, "Remember When," and have him ask all the married couples to please join the newly married couple on the dance floor. After 20 or so seconds, have the DJ ask that all couples that have been married less than a year leave the dance floor and take their seats at that time, then after 10 seconds, have him ask the couples who have been married less than 5 years to be seated, and every 10 seconds or so after that, another increment of 5 years to sit down, until he gets to around 30 years. After that, he started calling out the years by 1 year increments until the oldest couple was left on the dance floor and by that time, everyone was cheering and it was very cute. Then, the bride and groom (the newest married couple) posed with the oldest married couple for a picture and the bride gave the wife a small boquet that matched her flowers for the pictures and to keep as well.

It was so adorable and by the time there were 5 couples left on the dance floor, the whole crowd was cheering as they left.

Thought it was so cute that I would share it with all you so that if you haven't been married, you could possibly include it. I plan to!
Old 06-13-2004, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

We did that at our wedding! We had the band play the song, "You're Still The One" by Shania Twain for our version. We had 20 couples who were still out there for the 25 years of marriage group (including my mom and dad, and my husband's mom and dad)! We had 6 couples who were out there for 50 years of marriage or more...and my husbands maternal grandparents were the last ones on the dance floor at 62 years of marriage (and still going strong)!

Later, the lead singer of the band told me that she's done that same dance at a number of weddings, and she's never seen so many people still out there for the longer durations...she said she was having a hard time choking back the tears.

It was very sweet, everyone at the reception loved it, and it was a nice way to start out our marriage--by celebrating the marriages of our close friends and family members.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:06 PM
GreekChat Member

We did an anniversary dance also. Unfortunately, only DH's grandmothers are left and my maternal grandparents (who have difficulty getting around well) so the oldest couple left dancing were my Godparents at 37 years.

It was the first time many people had seen it done and a lot of people liked it. I found the idea on the message boards on the wedding channel (http://boards.weddingchannel.com)
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I've been to a sister's wedding where the Kappas serenaded the bride with "On the Heart". This is really beautiful.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:29 AM
GreekChat Member

oh Pat! of course

All the Kappa ideas are great - but I have to think the TC's comment was referring to Oh Pat!-ing the bride at the wedding. Every Kappa wedding I have ever been to involves the Kappa sisters at the wedding Oh Pat-ing the bride. Usually we do it after the cake cutting (towards the end of the reception).

Oh course, as the bride there is nothing you can "do" about this one.. other than invite a lot of Kappa's I guess!

Of course, my grandmother-in-law is a Pi Phi, so she thought this was great - but she did have to inform my sisters she thought the PiPhis did it better

Best Wishes!
Paula