GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,031
2 members and 1,029 guests
No Members online

Old 07-02-2011, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to HeavenslilAngel Send a message via AIM to HeavenslilAngel Send a message via Yahoo to HeavenslilAngel
Kaplan University

Has anyone ever gone to Kaplan? I want to change my career to High Education so that I can work in Greek life or other university related areas. I applied to a local state school (I live about an hour-2 hours from it; so it’s still somewhat local) but didn't get accepted for the semester I applied for. My application is deferred to the following semester and they offer the option of taking up to 12 hours as a non-degree student that could potentially transfer into the program.

I found Kaplan's website today and they seem to let everybody in, don't require the GRE, and the program is completely online which will save me from having to make the hour-2 hour drive weekly/multiple times weekly depending on when classes are. It just seems too easy and I've already taken one masters degree online and found it to be easy to get into but didn't really learn much. However, the current master is in IT and this one will be in Higher Education so maybe I would retain more/as much online versus at the state school.

What are your thoughts?
Old 07-02-2011, 05:09 PM

I personally wouldn't. Kaplan and Phoenix are more like "give us your money and we'll give you a degree" kind of places (if I am wrong please correct me, maybe it varies by program, but that's my general impression.)

Aside from that, Higher Ed is the kind of program where you actually want to GO to classes and interact within a higher ed environment.

Of course, this is your money and your degree, so you have to do what's best for you.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 07-02-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to HeavenslilAngel Send a message via AIM to HeavenslilAngel Send a message via Yahoo to HeavenslilAngel
Thanks so much for your advice. Thats kind of what I'm leaning toward (staying with the state school). The programs cost about the same, its just the whole distance factor with the state school and the fact that admission to Kaplan seems easier (obviously) than the state school. I guess I was/am disappointed that I didn't get in and was hoping for an easier way (Kaplan) which part of me thinks is the wrong way of thinking.

My worst fear is that I end up with a Kaplan degree and then go for an interview at a university and they say something to the effect of "you got your degree from where? We'll call you. Have a good day." That would defeat the purpose of what will be a second masters degree.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Kaplan University is regionally accredited (meaning, its accreditation is by the same or a comparable accrediting body as any state school). For Master's Degree programs (that I've noticed, so YMMV), the importance of where you got it is much less than the importance of the fact that you got it, but of course there are the elites in many fields that get a little more notice.

For an ed program, though, yes, online only might not be as valuable an experience as actually going to class and interacting with professors/fellow students/students. Online programs are particularly difficult for students who need that interaction (aren't as big on the self-starting).

Also, typically Kaplan and Phoenix degrees are worth more (to your employer) when you already work there, if that makes sense.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
Kaplan University is regionally accredited (meaning, its accreditation is by the same or a comparable accrediting body as any state school). For Master's Degree programs (that I've noticed, so YMMV), the importance of where you got it is much less than the importance of the fact that you got it, but of course there are the elites in many fields that get a little more notice.

For an ed program, though, yes, online only might not be as valuable an experience as actually going to class and interacting with professors/fellow students/students. Online programs are particularly difficult for students who need that interaction (aren't as big on the self-starting).

Also, typically Kaplan and Phoenix degrees are worth more (to your employer) when you already work there, if that makes sense.
So basically your opinion is that in my case a degree from a degree from the state school would benefit me more since I will be new to the field?

I did my current masters completely online so I'm familiar and comfortable with that format and the extreme self discipline "requirement" thats involved.

Thanks and keep the advice coming. I love hearing different perspectives.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm pursuing a career in Higher Ed as well. The field is becoming increasingly popular, and consequently, competitive. I wouldn't recommend it, especially if you're interested in Greek Life which in my experience has some of the most competitive assistantships, not to mention job postings. For example, I was told that almost 90% of the participants in GARP at South Carolina last year applied for one graduate assistantship in Greek Life.

The American College Personnel Association has some great resources for programs that you should look into as a starting point for your research.
http://www2.myacpa.org/

Last edited by Gusteau; 07-02-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes. If you're currently employed (and are doing a second master's primarily for career advancement), Kaplan and Phoenix are really good options. For starting a career, a state school is going to look "better" on your resume.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Online programs are particularly difficult for students who need that interaction (aren't as big on the self-starting).
This is me right here.

As much of an introvert as I am, I am SO not an online class person.

I'm a very conventional learner and I learn best through someone discussing the subject with me/taking notes about it/listen to other people discuss it. I'm also that person who likes clear expectations on assignments.

I don't learn from people saying "read x and take a 10 question quiz on x."

I also have the memory capacity of a goldfish. Going to class everyday and the routine of it helps me remember when things are due. In my online classes (a couple of my courses were online only) I was that person who had homework due at midnight and didn't realize it until 10.

I've had people ask me "why don't you get your ed degree online? It's so easy and you won't even have to student teach!" Um, because I have never taught in my LIFE and I wouldn't have a clue what I was doing if all I did was read about it online?

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Being that you want to WORK in a university environment, it would seem important to actually GO to a university for that degree. I know you went to a university for undergrad, but I would think it would look better to get your masters from one as well. Otherwise, it seems to me like a lawyer who had never actually set foot in a courtroom, or a doctor that had only ever performed "virtual surgeries".
Old 07-02-2011, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post

Online classes (that aren't done by universities or taught by professors who don't care about online learning) are typically nothing like this.

Some of the larger "prestigious" state universities have the worst online classes I have ever seen in my life.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
This is me right here.

As much of an introvert as I am, I am SO not an online class person.

I'm a very conventional learner and I learn best through someone discussing the subject with me/taking notes about it/listen to other people discuss it. I'm also that person who likes clear expectations on assignments.

I also have the memory capacity of a goldfish. Going to class everyday and the routine of it helps me remember when things are due. In my online classes (a couple of my courses were online only) I was that person who had homework due at midnight and didn't realize it until 10.
Quote:
Online classes (that aren't done by universities or taught by professors who don't care about online learning) are typically nothing like this.
This. I took online courses through Northeastern University in Boston. They were fantastic! There was a great deal of interaction and one-on-one time with the professor and other students via video/IM/phone, etc.

We used BlackBoard, so the set-up was easy to follow. The classes themselves weren't easy by any means and I still had the same professor issues I've always had (e.g. profs that refuse to give people 100% on anything, even when the submission deserves it.)

Online learning worked well for me as a graduate program, so I could continue to work full-time and go to school full-time, while keeping up with my family and other obligations. However, I would not have survived an online program as an undergrad.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

I am a major skeptic when it comes to online programs. A class here or there as part of a larger degree program, if a long-time employer's paying for it, or for a specific certificate program (say, IT) seems fine. I just doubt that, outside those three scenarios that an online degree is really worth the time and money. I'm getting to the point in my career where I'm starting to review resumes with HR, and I can't ever imagine preferring someone with an online-only degree (be it BS or MS) over someone who actually, you know, went to class. Pray tell, how does one get a BS in Nursing online?

My friends in student life/Greek affairs rely so much on the connections they made in graduate school for jobs and fellowships--are you really going to make connections like that at "online graduate school?"

I'm not sure that not requiring the GRE is a "good thing," either. Taking it--and preparing for it--is a good sign that you're serious about going back to school, and that you're prepared for graduate-level work. A school that doesn't take it (unless it's a school that requires auditions or portfolios) might be teaching to the "lowest common denominator," which is never good for anyone.

Last edited by Munchkin03; 07-03-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
Pray tell, how does one get a BS in Nursing online?
Those are "hybrid" or "blended" courses - you do your gen eds all online, then you have your lectures online but your lab work in a campus setting (with wet labs that have cadavers and everything). There's research out there supporting the efficacy of those models. I'd link to some of the better ones but I can only find them behind a paywall right now.

Quote:
I'm not sure that not requiring the GRE is a "good thing," either. Taking it--and preparing for it--is a good sign that you're serious about going back to school, and that you're prepared for graduate-level work. A school that doesn't take it (unless it's a school that requires auditions or portfolios) might be teaching to the "lowest common denominator," which is never good for anyone.
There are a lot of grad schools that don't require the GRE or portfolios or auditions. Mine didn't, but we're top 10 in the field.

Last edited by agzg; 07-03-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:03 PM

Please go to the Frontline website and watch their latest report about how Kaplan and other for-profit universities are scamming veterans out of their GI Bill money.

If you're going to school for a career in Higher Ed - which will require nearly constant human interaction - you need to do it all in the classroom, not online.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

My friends in student life/Greek affairs rely so much on the connections they made in graduate school for jobs and fellowships--are you really going to make connections like that at "online graduate school?"
This is a point that can't be overlooked, OP. Student affairs is a very small world, and connections are key. I am convinced that would not have been admitted into one very popular program if one of my mentors had not been an alumna of that program.

Do you have any contacts from your undergraduate program (Greek advisor, people in the campus life office, etc.) that you're still in touch with? They are a great resource for finding a good program, and you wll want to reach out to them!