GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Up & Coming National GLOs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Up & Coming National GLOs This area is for discussion of issues affecting GLOs which are larger than a local, yet are still growing into a national GLO.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,469
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, davidjuioro5780
» Online Users: 2,288
1 members and 2,287 guests
indygphib

Old 03-26-2004, 01:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Question LGLO Members, Does THIS Happen to You?

This is a question for my LGLO sisters and brothers (or anyone else who experiences this):

Do the LGLOs in your area/region get "bashed" by other Latinas/os? Do people write articles in campus newspapers that are full of inaccuracies about Latina/o greeks? Do they call you "sellouts"? Do Latina/o student organizations with a "political twist" tell you to leave their events if you are wearing your letters, or tell you that they don't need "your kind" to volunteer for service projects? Do you get flack from Chicano/Latino professors or administrators?

This happens to LGLO members pretty frequently in California, albeit more on some campuses than others! Just when it seems to get better, someone always stirs up trouble again. I've always wondered if these things occur in other parts of the US, especially the east coast.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-26-2004, 05:07 AM
GreekChat Member

a friend of mine whos is a brother of lambda theta phi said this stuff happens a whole lot.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AOII*Azra-elle
We don't see much of Sigma Lambda Beta on our campus except during Greek Week. Our newspaper is starting to become more Greek friendly to all GLO's including latina/o ones. I know a few women that are Lambda Theta Nu's and they are exceptional women, great personalities and always there to lend a hand. I know that the Sigma Lambda Gamma ladies are as well, but I do see alot more of them since thye come to Panhellenic meetings now.

Haven't seen any bashing on the UNC campus in Colorado.
I know that she'll be there if ever I need her.
I know that our friendship is true.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

I know the feeling

Although I haven't experienced all of what you mentioned first-hand, I have noticed that cultural Greeks face many of the same issues with administration, professors, fellow students (and student groups) as those Greeks that are not culturally focused. It is very sad but I think it comes down to stereotypes that exist about the Greek community in general. I think we just have to strive to educate the campus community about our organizations and just continue to work hard in the community as we have been doing, and eventually, people will come around and see that Greeks are doing many positive things for everyone, members and the community alike. Through our strength and persistence, they will one day see all the good we are doing :-).
Old 03-26-2004, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: LGLO Members, Does THIS Happen to You?

Quote:
Originally posted by LatinaAlumna
This is a question for my LGLO sisters and brothers (or anyone else who experiences this):

Do the LGLOs in your area/region get "bashed" by other Latinas/os? Do people write articles in campus newspapers that are full of inaccuracies about Latina/o greeks? Do they call you "sellouts"? Do Latina/o student organizations with a "political twist" tell you to leave their events if you are wearing your letters, or tell you that they don't need "your kind" to volunteer for service projects? Do you get flack from Chicano/Latino professors or administrators?

This happens to LGLO members pretty frequently in California, albeit more on some campuses than others! Just when it seems to get better, someone always stirs up trouble again. I've always wondered if these things occur in other parts of the US, especially the east coast.
Last year an article was written in our Latino newspaper about our Latino/a based fraternities and sororities (we have 5 on campus) and it compared them to gangs....
The woman who wrote it later became a member of one of the groups...go figure.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AOII*Azra-elle
We don't see much of Sigma Lambda Beta on our campus except during Greek Week. Our newspaper is starting to become more Greek friendly to all GLO's including latina/o ones. I know a few women that are Lambda Theta Nu's and they are exceptional women, great personalities and always there to lend a hand. I know that the Sigma Lambda Gamma ladies are as well, but I do see alot more of them since thye come to Panhellenic meetings now.

Haven't seen any bashing on the UNC campus in Colorado.
One of our TOP chapters is our UNC chapter! They just won the National Community Service Award this month at our convention. We are so proud of them!!
Old 03-26-2004, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for posting, everyone!

It's amazing that this type of thing happens all over!

Do the NPHC members/organizations ever experience this? I remember as an undergraduate, the African Student Union wasn't exactly keen on the NPHC groups for a while. I really don't know what the fuss was about because their (NPHC) committment to service was very visable on the campus and in the community, and I really didn't see anything that the ASU could criticize.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ambición6 Send a message via Yahoo to ambición6
Luckily, we have not had any backlash from the university or other student orgs. Our campus is very greek friendly. and Epitome1920, I do remember that article about latino/a greeks being compared to gangs and it made us very very unhappy to say the least , but thankfully people change their ways and open their minds to new experiences because the person who wrote the article is now one of our most involved and active members.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
Quote:
Originally posted by LatinaAlumna
Thanks for posting, everyone!

It's amazing that this type of thing happens all over!

Do the NPHC members/organizations ever experience this? I remember as an undergraduate, the African Student Union wasn't exactly keen on the NPHC groups for a while. I really don't know what the fuss was about because their (NPHC) committment to service was very visable on the campus and in the community, and I really didn't see anything that the ASU could criticize.
I suspect that there were feelings like this back during the Black Power days of the 1960s and early 1970s. Some saw NPHC groups as bourgeois, etc., despite our long history of serving the community.
When I was an undergrad in the 1980s (and not yet interested in AKA), there were some NPHC members involved in the Black Student Union at USC. And I didn't sense a lot of tension or sellout charges.