GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Beta > Beta Theta Pi
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,400
3 members and 2,397 guests
janessswfta7807, LaneSig, naraht

Old 11-06-2006, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Beta back at USC and Miami (FL)

Check out this great news!
=========
USC Breaks Record with 83 Men
Beta Theta Pi’s record-breaking return to the University of Southern California is drawing significant attention. Beta Theta Pi’s record-breaking return to the University of Southern California is drawing significant attention. An October issue of the campus newspaper The Daily Trojan ran a story of the re-colonization on the front page. (Directly below the fold was an announcement of the largest gift in university history of $175 million by George Lucas.) With 83 founding fathers, the Gamma Tau Colony is certainly headline worthy as an overwhelming success and a record-breaking expansion for USC and the Fraternity.

The founding father class consists of 22 freshmen, 27 sophomores, 25 juniors and nine seniors. They have an average cumulative GPA (excluding freshmen) in excess of 3.25 and are very involved on campus. Leadership Consultant Josh Fairchild, Oklahoma State ’05 remarked, "They are brand new to the fraternity but not brand new to being leaders."

The re-colonization was led by a four-man recruitment team consisting of Fairchild; Directors of Operations and Education Dustin Anderson, Minnesota ’05 and Michael Wolford, Miami ’04, and Leadership Consultant David Schmidt, Connecticut ’06. The team was on campus recruiting for more than three weeks from October 1st to October 26th.

The planning for the recolonization, however, began long before the team set foot on campus. An eight person advisory team, led by Chapter Counselor Vincent Mikolay, Bethany ’00, was recruited and trained to support the new colony and other alumni offered support to the project with time and resources. “Great alumni support, collaboration with the staff and a well executed plan helped Beta’s message reverberate on campus,” said Fairchild. “Recruits benefited from knowing they had a strong heritage of alumni before them.”

Gamma Tau, installed in 1947, boasts a prestigious roll of more than 1,600 alumni including co-owner of the LA Kings, Lakers and Staples Center Ed Roski ’62, Wimbledon Champion Stan Smith ’69 and many Olympic medal winners and business leaders. USC President Steven Sample, Illinois ’62, is also a Beta.

Following three years of inactivity, the Colony will initiate a new class of Betas on November 30th. Learn more about the re-colonization and Gamma Tau at http://www.gammataualumni.com/ and http://www.dailytrojan.com/.

=========
Beta Takes University of Miami by Storm
In April, the University of Miami Interfraternity Council invited Beta Theta Pi to expand to campus this fall. The results of that invitation have proved overwhelmingly successful with a poignant energy permeating campus and the third largest expansion in Fraternity history. Even University President Donna E. Shalala caught the fever of excitement wearing a “Go Beta” button.

The new colony boasts 63 founding fathers assembled from the top gentlemen, scholars and leaders on campus. The class makeup is four seniors, 11 juniors, 24 sophomores and 26 freshmen. The collective GPA of the members is an astounding 3.61 (4.107 with freshmen) with seven valedictorians, seven eagle scouts, two NCAA athletes, six resident assistants and more. Further, the men represent six nationalities and many campus interests. “Beyond the numbers, what matters the most is these men are true Betas,” said Leadership Consultant Joe Kokojan, Oklahoma ’06. “Their character, values, and determination, while difficult to express in words, is incredible.”

Kokojan, along with Director of Expansion and Recruitment J.B. Scherpelz, Miami ’05; Leadership Consultant Phil Fernandez, Miami ’05, and Leadership Consultant Russell Katigan, Oklahoma State ’06 led the 24-day recruitment period ending October 18th with the founding father class induction. The team was also supported by a nine-person advisory team and superb University and campus support. “Without the support of the institution and the Office of Student Life, this success would not have been possible,” reported Kokojan.

Scherpelz explained the selection of the University of Miami as a site for expansion, “We look at alumni strength in the area, the caliber of student, strength of the Greek community and support from the University. . . Miami had all those characteristics and more. The University of Miami was a perfect campus for Beta Theta Pi.” The excitement and interest was evident with more than 200 attendees as the campus wide informational meeting and 185 men expressing interest. The project was even featured in the student NewsVision show on October 12th.

The University of Miami expansion was planned by the university as well. After reviewing 17 national organization expansion packets, four groups were invited to present to the Interfraternity Council. Beta Theta Pi was invited this fall, with Pi Kappa Phi in the fall of 2008. Associate Dean of Students Greg Singleton said, “Beta Theta Pi communicated well its mission and how it would enhance the community.”

Founding father Marlow B. Hernández explained his emotions in joining the Fraternity, “I will bring an idea, a dream which I believe resonates in those who live with an open mind and have a sincere desire to be better. We all have a purpose — an internal and external mandate to change ourselves and serve those around us. The men at Beta Theta Pi understand what it means to have principle. To be in the company of such individuals gives me hope and gives me strength.”

Kokojan will guide the founding father class through an education period concluding with initiation in February.

Last edited by ZZ-kai-; 04-19-2007 at 02:03 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-06-2006, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I am always amazed or curious as to how someone in a pledge class of 30+ could possibly know their brothers well enough to call them "brothers". I had a hard enough time getting to know my 6 pledge brothers... and I can't imagine how they even have chapter meetings for a group that size. Sometimes I'm thankful that my school is only 7% Greek.

"There is a destiny that makes us brothers, No one goes his way alone;
All that we send into the lives of others, Comes back into our own."
~ Edwin Markham
Old 11-06-2006, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECUJacob View Post
I am always amazed or curious as to how someone in a pledge class of 30+ could possibly know their brothers well enough to call them "brothers". I had a hard enough time getting to know my 6 pledge brothers... and I can't imagine how they even have chapter meetings for a group that size. Sometimes I'm thankful that my school is only 7% Greek.
Different stuff man, different stuff. I look at it like this, the individual classes (by year) are all fewer than 30, and if the dynamic is set up so that the bonds are started by year, they'll develop the closeness.

And it's really not that big of deal about chapter. We regularly, at least early on the year, had 50-60 guys at chapter when I was in school. Parli-Pro becomes a chapter's best friend, and there must be constant reminding not to repeat things that have already been said. Sometimes, for big discussions, we had chapter last 3, 4 or 5 hours, but for the most part, there will be a select number of guys who distinguish themselves as voices in the chapter and a few guys will never speak in chapter. The rest will speak if they have reason to and everything works.

- Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-07-2006, 07:50 AM
GreekChat Member

83 men! Wow, what a number. This is already larger than most chapters out there. Eventhough the number is large, they will still face the same challenges all new expansions encounter. But, I remember talking about USC two years ago back when San Diego was being colonized. When we heard LMU had 64, we were already astonished. So does this count as the fourth successful expansion in Southern California over the past four years?
Old 11-07-2006, 08:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to furmanbeta
Sure sounds like it. I saw both those blurbs on General's website and was extremely impressed. The expansions last year weren't even within shouting distance of these numbers, so I have to give all the credit in the world to this year's LC's. They have clearly done a phenominal job. It's giving me a ton of hope as well, because both my chapter (Furman, Zeta Lambda) and the chapter where I'm doing grad school (Virginia, Omicron) will be recolonized within the next couple of years, or so we've been told. These sorts of numbers give new chapters their best opportunity to become successful, and I look forward to more high quality expansions.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to a.e.B.O.T.
Well, they definitely are not going to have it easy. All 83 and 63 men joined with a purpose, and some of those purposes are going to clash. They have to build a foundation and with that many people, there are going to be many perspectives of how to do it. I was part of a 39 men founding father class, and it was really hard. 10 dropped out mainly because of personal conflict. The general perspective of members who come in as founding father is that they get to be a leader and help build it, which is so true, but they all try to jump in the kitchen, and then you just have too many chefs. So, with a group that size, its going to be really hard, and really frustrating for most of them.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:31 PM
ZetaDelta143

GF knows how to recruit

Seems like everytime GF starts a new colony they get a ton of guys, I think its because they have the money and the resources to do a sucessfull recruitment. 83 guys is amazing, but I would question it also. I mean there is only one opionon of what kind of guy your letting in. Without a chapter to help select the men it seems like it defeats the purpose. I trust any betas opinion, but Its not about quantity its about quality. USC is a great school with alot of talented your men..No doubt that there are some true leaders in that pledge class.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetaDelta143 View Post
Seems like everytime GF starts a new colony they get a ton of guys, I think its because they have the money and the resources to do a sucessfull recruitment. 83 guys is amazing, but I would question it also. I mean there is only one opionon of what kind of guy your letting in. Without a chapter to help select the men it seems like it defeats the purpose. I trust any betas opinion, but Its not about quantity its about quality. USC is a great school with alot of talented your men..No doubt that there are some true leaders in that pledge class.

Well, the bad ones will weed out, the workers will stay... i gaurentee that they will not have 83 by the end of the school year. The key move is to put the right people in the right offices, which the GF does, not the founding fathers. So hopefully, the bad ones will get frustrated and leave, which is how I think it ussually works!!!
Old 04-19-2007, 07:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Coramoor
Things will work themselves out over time.

My advice is to concentrate on brotherhood and figuring out what direction you want your chapter to go. Once you figure out what you want...those that can't agree leave and the those that stay work to a common goal.

My question is how is nationals dealing with you now that you are an establish colony. Have they sort of ditched you or are they still giving you a lot of attention?
Old 04-19-2007, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

So let me get this straight. The house is dry, it's a large and diverse chapter and you have a full and active advisor staff? What's wrong with that?

You won't get along with everyone, ever. If your chapter was 10 men, you'd likely not get along with at least 1 person, with 80+ guys, you can expect to dislike many men. Do you have to hang out with them? No. Do you have to get along with them? No. Do you have to deal with them, sure. But, in life, that is expected. Take that as advice for your future career, family reunions and meeting your in-laws.

Being an MOP chapter, dry house, and large and diverse - these are things you knew going in. If you didn't like it then, you shouldn't have joined. If you thought the rules were 'gray', well, thats your own fault. If you don't like the rules now, its not too late to quit.

Point being, you're never going to like everyone, the chapter is there to provide you a tool to succeed in life, not to 'drink in the house'. If that were the case, TKE is right down the street.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Coramoor
Whoa there ZZ...settle down some.

There obviously is some problems. Dry house...well, again like I've said I don't understand this crusade against alcohol. Large chapter yes...but there has been no continuity. Many chapters have the option to pick and choose who they want in their brotherhood. That alone cuts back on 90% of the problems. Active advisers are great...unless they are intimidating the undergrads. It's an undergrad chapter, alumni had their chance! Let the undergrads run it how they want, but alumni are there to give advice.

Once again MOP is causing far more problems than it's solving.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

as far meeting goals go, we're doing well at USC, however, like Rastaone said, there's too much diversity in our house, and it's not a good thing. Diversity is good, but when you have 70+ members, with the house split into 5 or 6 different directions, it's really hard to get much agreement or collaboration as to what direction the house is going in.

and yes, I believe MOP is causing more problems than its rectified.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi,

As a founding father myself, I know what you are talking about. We had a 39 FF class, which made us the largest chapter on campus at that time, and even though we were less then half of what you got, we had the exact same problems. First of all, You are right, Beta goes for quantity over quality when starting a chapter. They get the quality by trying to find people from all over campus. Our colony was prided on our races diversity and how we had theatre majors, econ majors, pre-med and english majors all mixed together. We had ALOT of fighting. ALOT of discussion. Five hour chapters about one topic. Alcohol was a huge issue. We wanted to have a party, but others thought it wasnt the image we wanted... while others joined for the social aspect. It was a battle sometimes between Values VS Brotherhood as if they cant go together some how.

But you know what, that comes with the territory. You need these discussions! You need to duke it out (civilized of course). The AO set you up, and the best way to make the best chapter is just get it out all on the table. Eventually we worked it all out, and yeah it was tough. The people that were less committed quit, which was for the best, and the guys who really wanted to work on making AH the best chapter in Beta are still around. Now we are EXTREMELY succesful and we this was only 2 years ago.

So yeah, the AO dicked you over, I agree. They do that. They think they know whats best but the AO is made up of people from the "special" chapters, and they keep it that way. As far as your advisors go, they are volunteers, so really they want what is best. Keep that in mind, but remember, your chapter can tell the advisors 'no' sometimes, and the advisor/chapter relationship is better for it!

But mainly, just suck it up, and stick it out. Remember, part of the undergraduate experience is growing and making yourself a better man, but being a founding father is building and establishing a strong chapter. Both tasks are hard to do at once. My advice: think what is truly valuable for yourself, stick with that, listen to what people have to say and take time to think about it, and THEN choose to reject it or not. Voice your opinion, but allow others to voice theres as well. Try to make positive change, but remember you cant do it all over night, and you know what, you arnt going to win every battle, which is for the best, because its a collective experience.

OK, I SO LECTURED, which i bitched at someone else for doing... but you pushed the right button here
Old 04-19-2007, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Lecture away man- you are saying some good things.

The advantage I see in these massive new pledge classes is that it jump starts a chapter with cash flow and makes it easier to get into a house right away or very quickly if a chapter house is an option.

But it takes time for a chapter to really find its place and character on campus- and that does create a lot of inner conflict at first.

The trade-off there is hard to to side with either way, but the good news is that the large size is good for the long term, while finding a certain direction is short term.

I am sorry to hear you have advisors at every meeting and checking up on you like crazy. I am an advisor myself, and I only come to chapter meetings when I have business to present (usually housing stuff since I am involved with that as well) or I just want to check things out and get feedback from the chapter on the support they need, if any.

There is nothing worse an advisor can do than take away the spirit of trust and self-governance that makes being a Beta so worthwhile.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Are people really telling you that you can't drink at a party? The law tells you that you can't drink til you're 21, but even I didn't follow that rule. I doubt that the MOP Initiative is telling you that you can't drink. Your peers may be telling you that, but the AO and the MOP Initiative isn't. There are dry houses all over the place, some are dry at their own will, some are forced dry (FIJI and Phi Delt) and some are dry as a requirement of the new chapter (IE, Nebraska and SoCal). That's not MOP doing that, that's the delegates at Conventions. Placing all chapters faults on the MOP Initiative is an easy way out. And who cares what other Beta's think about MOP and your chapter? It's your chapter, make it what you want. Change it and mold it to the way you want. If you don't like how it is today, and there is a group of people that agree, change it. And the comment above about having disagreements with advisors - that is awesome. Advisers are there to advise, NOT run the chapter. If you're letting them run the chapter, then stop it. If they give you advice and you choose to take it, great, if not, great. They can only offer advice. But don't forget, they're there to help you, not run you down.

ETA: As for the discussion being 'too diverse', I can understand that completely. Now you have to act on that, recruitment going forward should focus on the guys that YOU want, not what the AO wants. After a few classes, your chapter will be more what you want than the standard canned colony the AO recruits. All things take time, don't let frustration get the best of you.

-kai-

Last edited by ZZ-kai-; 04-20-2007 at 11:11 AM.