GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,562
1 members and 2,561 guests
ajehnztsa1361

Old 07-23-2008, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanyalum View Post
I don't even know what twins are. Is that 2 littles at the same time? Or just 2 littles in general?
Yes, it is two littles at one time. I have seen this happen quite often as some members aren't able to afford to take on a little sis, or the new member class seems to bond more with certain older members.

In response to a different question from an AXiD above - in some chapters not just the sophomore class takes on littles (which it sounds like is what happens at your chapter - correct me if I'm wrong). Sometimes the new member class is very large and juniors (and even seniors) take on littles, thus enabling a upperclasswoman to have two or more littles.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanyalum View Post
I don't even know what twins are. Is that 2 littles at the same time? Or just 2 littles in general?
In our terminology it was just 2 littles in general, who had the same big. This probably varies from chapter to chapter.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I had 4 little sisters! One my sophomore year, one my junior year and two my senior year!

I think big/little programs are very important. My big sis was an amazing mentor and so were her friends from her pledge class.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
In our terminology it was just 2 littles in general, who had the same big. This probably varies from chapter to chapter.
Yeah, it varies. I had 3 littles, two that were twins, and one that was a transfer in the spring semester and I adopted her. Twins had to be in the same pledge class. (No one ever took triplets except for one year when the soph. pledge class was tiny.)

My chapter did big-little in a cool way. For the "new member period" they had "sis-mom" (sister-mother) and the older members took "sis-dots" (sister-daughters.) Then, you got your permanent big usually shortly after initiation.

Anyone of any grade could be a sis-mom, but only the sophomores took littles.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Most of us took littles as sophmores, and most only took one little. Occassionally if we had a large fall COB class or qouta was very high, some people took a second little. Even if they weren't in the same class, they would be considered twins.

I don't remember money ever coming into play when getting a little. It was more about how active you were in the chapter and that you were in good standing. Most of the gifts littles got were from the whole family (even alums!) that would pitch in together to welcome the newest member.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

My chapter was pretty big, so we never had twins. Some of the Sister-mothers (bigs) did take on 2 daughters, but it was the rule, not the exception.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
I agree, big and little is something that even if "banned" would pop up in some other form informally. If the big is a good big, it can really help integrate the new member into the chapter and can be a very positive influence.

I was blessed to have 5 little sisters, two sets of twins, senior and super senior semesters (must be from same pledge class on my campus) and one last minute blessing right before I graduated. I love them so much and couldn't imagine not having them or my big either! I also feel that it really helped me to stay involved with my chapter as well.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:00 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstar View Post
Yeah, it varies. I had 3 littles, two that were twins, and one that was a transfer in the spring semester and I adopted her. Twins had to be in the same pledge class. (No one ever took triplets except for one year when the soph. pledge class was tiny.)

My chapter did big-little in a cool way. For the "new member period" they had "sis-mom" (sister-mother) and the older members took "sis-dots" (sister-daughters.) Then, you got your permanent big usually shortly after initiation.

Anyone of any grade could be a sis-mom, but only the sophomores took littles.
The sister-mom I got at the beginning of my Pledge period is the sister-mom I still have today. In my chapter, the sister-mom you get at NM ceremony is permanent.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I had three lil sisters during my collegiate years. My first Lil dropped out after initiation because she had a hard time keeping up with AOII while maintaining her softball scholarship. My second Lil sis was going to them be my only Lil sis, and we are still very close today. I took a third Lil sis only because we went from a pledge class of 25 one year to 36 the next when recruitment numbers shot through the roof, so obviously we needed some extra people to take a new Lil sis. No one took two at one time....we also avoided that!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 07-23-2008, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

Same. I've never heard of anyone having two littles at once..

Except in our chapter, it's always twins, no matter how many of you there are. If you have five littles, each of them has four twins
Old 07-23-2008, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
The sister-mom I got at the beginning of my Pledge period is the sister-mom I still have today. In my chapter, the sister-mom you get at NM ceremony is permanent.
It still is permanent, but it was more of an active relationship during the new member period. It just isn't as important in my chapter as big-little. Also, in my chapter people generally weren't as close to their sis-mom, who chose them, as they were to their big, since that relationship was mutually chosen.

Also, since we didn't allow people to take more than one sis-dot a year, there were always juniors and seniors that had to take them, so there were cases of sis-moms graduating half a semester after initiation. Having a soph. as a big ensured that they would still have an older sister who was active.

My sis-mom was a good sister, but wasn't as close as my big, however, one of my littles was one my sis-dots.

Last edited by kstar; 07-23-2008 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WinniBug
In our chapter, we have a "Momma Bug" - what the "Pearl Class" calls their VP of Membership Ed.
Then, each girl has a "Ruby Sis", who sponsors her through the Phoenix ritual, and is her temporary Big until the Big Sis revealing ceremony.

Sometimes, we have true twins...when one girl takes 2 littles at a time, but I try to discourage this. Quite often, a Big will take multiple Littles during different semesters.

What's y'all's opinion on the max. number of littles a member should take?
wherever there is fun, there's ALWAYS ALPHA SIGMA!

Old 07-23-2008, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Twins and Triplets

"Twins," at least with the chapters I've dealt with, is when a big sister gets more than one little sister throughout her tenure in the chapter. The little sisters call themselves twins (triplets) even if they did not get their Big at the same time. This is common with small or growing chapters as the sisters of a small chapter may have to take numerous lil's. Bigger chapters where there aren't enough NM's for the actives probably have only one lil sister.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:02 PM

In my chapter, twins were 2 people who had the same Big Sister (whether they were in the same class or not). Triplets were 3 people with the same Big and so on.

Most people in my chapter had one or 2 Littles, but there were certain sisters that NMs tended to look up to who ended up taking more. I was one of 4 Littles.

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
That's how it is done here as well, though there is another woman who is referred to as a Delta.