GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,621
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, Ascentcct
» Online Users: 1,285
1 members and 1,284 guests
oncegreek

Old 01-19-2006, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
Is Pittsburgh as bright and pretty as San Diego? It didn't look like it on Flash Dance.

-Rudey

Atleast Pittsburgh doesn't have TJ breathing down its neck
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-19-2006, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sugar and spice
Exactly.

And I hate to be the voice of dissent, but from what I recall of Pittsburgh, "dark and forbidding" would not be that big of a stretch. Obviously not the whole city -- there were some lovely parts -- and granted this was 8-10 years ago, but I was not that impressed. I travelled a lot as a kid, and I had a more negative gut reaction to Pittsburgh than I've ever had to any other city . . . including Detroit. So I tend to defend the Pittsburgh-haters because I know where they're coming from.

What area(s) were you in?

That's why I made the Lincoln Park comment - obviously all of Chicagoland is not like one suburb. All of Pittsburgh (I'm talking the whole area, not just downtown) is like the South Side or Downtown or Greentree or Rankin.

I just think this kind of writing is ridiculous and like honeychile said, makes him look like the idiot. I don't get that he's appreciative of how much we love the Steelers - it's like he's saying the town sucks, our team has a sucky name and we're losers to be this into a football team.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

...and you're certainly welcome to that interpretation. You all have a right to defend your city. I was just giving my opinion that every city gets criticized in some way, fair or not.

I saw the article the other way, that he was saying that Pittsburgh loves its football team and is very passionate about it, especially now during the playoffs.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
Umm how is Lincoln Park not Chicago?

Here is a map of Chicago for you: http://www.newviewrealty.com/neighborhoodinfo.aspx
Nobody I know lives in the trash neighborhoods in the borders, but clearly Lincoln Park is a couple miles away from Downtown and one of the better neighborhoods.

-Rudey
Is Cabrini Green in Lincoln Park? Because ever since I saw the movie Candyman when I was a kid, I've been scared to death to go to Chicago.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
What area(s) were you in?

That's why I made the Lincoln Park comment - obviously all of Chicagoland is not like one suburb. All of Pittsburgh (I'm talking the whole area, not just downtown) is like the South Side or Downtown or Greentree or Rankin.

I just think this kind of writing is ridiculous and like honeychile said, makes him look like the idiot. I don't get that he's appreciative of how much we love the Steelers - it's like he's saying the town sucks, our team has a sucky name and we're losers to be this into a football team.
Suburb? Again, look at the map. It's right outside of the Downtown region. I have never heard anyone refer to it as a suburb. I've lived in the South Side, downtown and in Lincoln Park.

As for the image of Pitt being a steel town, it is. It was built on steel. The mills have only been gone a short while. Here are 3 steel corporations located inside Pittburgh:
U S Steel Corporation: Headquarters & General Offices - 0.1 miles NE - 600 Grant St, Pittsburgh, 15219 - (412) 433-1121
Allegheny Ludlum - 1.3 miles SE - 1000 Six PPG pl, Pittsburgh, 15203 - (412) 394-2800
Quality Rolls - 0.8 miles SE - 1101 Muriel St, Pittsburgh, 15203 - (412) 431-8250

I don't know if all the old mills are gone or if some were converted to other uses. If there isn't a single one to be seen in any form, then it's a fallacy but it's not the end of the world. The city may get revitalized and it may not be steel fumes in the air every day, but it's not like you are waking up to the sun, the warmth and the ocean. This is his opinion. Just like I can find the Bronx to be ugly, this guy can find Pittsburgh to be ugly. Anything else, is anti-American.

-Rudey
Old 01-19-2006, 03:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ShaedyKD
Is Cabrini Green in Lincoln Park? Because ever since I saw the movie Candyman when I was a kid, I've been scared to death to go to Chicago.
It's considered the Near North so it's flanked by all of Chicago's wealthy neighborhoods.

And the CHA has provided some of the nicest low and mixed-income housing I have ever seen to former Cabrini tenants. A lot of the land was bought and revitalized.

-Rudey

Last edited by Rudey; 01-19-2006 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BobbyTheDon
Wait, what city sucks more? Detroit or Pittsburgh? I would guess Detroit right? Isn't Detroit filled with mutants?
The thing about Detroit is that it's ugly but it has some killer house music. Off topic, but my least favorite city ever visited is St. Louis (assuming Gary, Indiana doesn't count as a city).

I just don't understand why people are so defensive if there isn't a grain of truth in what the guy was saying.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie
The thing about Detroit is that it's ugly but it has some killer house music. Off topic, but my least favorite city ever visited is St. Louis (assuming Gary, Indiana doesn't count as a city).

I just don't understand why people are so defensive if there isn't a grain of truth in what the guy was saying.

I've been to St. Louis. I didn't think it was that crappy. I stayed downtown, and it was pretty safe walking around. My only complaint was that there was absolutely nothing to do there. And the women were nothing to brag about. Oh, and I don't know why but every person there got mad when we asked them if they knew Nelly. Screw them.

I think the city that I hate the most if Philadelphia. Everyone there is ugly, acts ugly, is fat, acts fat, the sun never shines there, cold and miserable.

No wonder Wills mom sent him to bel air.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie

"Detroit house" really had its heyday years ago - other than that, I couldn't agree any more with this post, also assuming Gary doesn't count separately from Chicago.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Being from Detroit and having visited Pittsburgh quite a few times, I see a lot of similarities between the two. Both used their pretty river fronts for industry instead of for entertainment/shopping districts/parks and are trying to turn that around now. The first time I was ever in Pittsburgh, I thought to myself "A lot of their bricks are colored black from the years of industry here, just like in Detroit". We have some awesome architecture in Detroit but the bricks are dirty. I don't know if it's even possible to clean them. Just like Pittsburgh, Detroit is trying to rebuild their image and build newer, cleaner looking buildings. It takes time. I liked Pittsburgh and I like Detroit now. Hopefully the newer face of Detroit will be shown for all during the Super Bowl, while the Steelers play at Ford Field!

BTW, we still have numerous steel mills in the suburbs of Detroit.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:18 PM

This kind of columnist seem to have a formula. Be as off the wall (sometimes in a nasty way) but still tell a story.

Many above have pointed out, and I think correctly, that the real message of the story is about a die-hard football town and it's die-hard fans.

You folks in Pittsburgh are just lucky Woody Paige -- another sports columnist -- didn't write the story. If that had happened you would all probably be heading West on I-70 with blood in your eyes.

This guy is a slacker and not even in the same league when it comes to insults when compared to Paige. But a lot of you have probably seen Woody on TV and know what I mean.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Dude. I love Woody Paige. At first I thought he was a big douche, but now I love him. He reminds me of a more drugged up T.J. Simers though. T.J. Simers is my favorite.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BobbyTheDon
Dude. I love Woody Paige. At first I thought he was a big douche, but now I love him. He reminds me of a more drugged up T.J. Simers though. T.J. Simers is my favorite.
Yeah, Simers used to be here, too, as the Broncos (NFL) beat reporter for the Rocky Mountain News.

I've been on the road covering stories in the past when Woody was there.

My only thoughts were "Take a bath and comb your hair."

He is a strange man.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.

Last edited by DeltAlum; 01-19-2006 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltAlum
This kind of columnist seem to have a formula. Be as off the wall (sometimes in a nasty way) but still tell a story.

Many above have pointed out, and I think correctly, that the real message of the story is about a die-hard football town and it's die-hard fans.

You folks in Pittsburgh are just lucky Woody Paige -- another sports columnist -- didn't write the story. If that had happened you would all probably be heading West on I-70 with blood in your eyes.

This guy is a slacker and not even in the same league when it comes to insults when compared to Paige. But a lot of you have probably seen Woody on TV and know what I mean.
Woody Paige is awesome - the best part about him, in my opinion, is when he needs to be serious and honest about a story, he is. He can drop the craziness quickly, which to me is a sign of how good a sports columnist he really is.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KSigkid
Woody Paige is awesome - the best part about him, in my opinion, is when he needs to be serious and honest about a story, he is. He can drop the craziness quickly, which to me is a sign of how good a sports columnist he really is.
EXACTLY.

I'm kind of the same way

I hate Steven A Smith though. And john Salley. two of the stupidest idiots ever.

WHat is the name of the Boston guy though? I think his name is Michael Smith? I like him alot. He isn't biased at all, and you can tell he will atleast listen to your opinion even if he doesn't agree with it. Unlike Paige