GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,638
4 members and 1,634 guests
*winter*, speedsters

Old 01-02-2008, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

My Fun Recruitment Experience (I loved Formal Recruitment!)

So I've been here for awhile now, but I just lurked, and then I couldn't remember my username so I made a new one!

I go to a school with an extemely NON competetive recruitment...and if anyone is interested...I'll post my story!

We have 6 NPC sororities which I will refer to as follows:

Polka Dots
Stripes
Leopard Print
Swirls
Lace
Stars

*These patterns are not at all affiliated with them in any shape, way or form-it's just what I came up with!*

I went through a structured formal recruitment that had the following schedule:

Day 1: Orientation and meet all 6
Day 2: Philanthropy night-visit 4
Day 3: Day off
Day 4: Pref Night-visit 3
Day 5: Bid Day

So if anyone is interested...later I'll post about day 1!
Old 01-02-2008, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Early guess for Polka Dots
Old 01-02-2008, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
I'm feeling frisky in the new year, I'm going with Leopard Print.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I do love leopard print, but I like zebra even more, so go stripes!
Old 01-02-2008, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Leopard print all the way!!
Old 01-02-2008, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm going with Stars

First Finest Forever
ADP
Old 01-02-2008, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Of COURSE we're interested!

Ahh I'm excited for my chapter's recruitment, too. Good thing GC can hold me over until that starts.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

hmm..for this thread..im feelin the SWiRLS!
Old 01-02-2008, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Fun! I'll go with Leopard Print!
Old 01-02-2008, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok well now I feel ditzy for the code names that I chose haha.

No one in my family is Greek, not even a distant cousin. One of my friends went to a different college in a different state, and she was a part of a local sorority and was hazed like crazy, so I was a little nervous going into this because I simply didn't know what to expect.

A few days before recruitment started, I got an email from my Rho Gamma telling me that she would pick me up outside of my dorm before recruitment started (on a Sunday), and I was relieved because I didn't know our campus very well!

One of my friends from home came to college with me, and she also decided to go through recruitment with me. I was a bit nervous about that because, well, I like her, but she's a bit loud and crass. She has a mouth like a trucker, and is a bit overbearing. I was a little afraid that the sororities would assume that I was like her, but I'm a bit shy to be quite honest. We ended up in the same group during the open house round.

Recruitment started at 3pm on a Sunday afternoon with an orientation session in a large lecture hall. Over the summer, I had gotten a booklet that explain each of the sororities on our campus, and included pictures, and space to make notes about each one. I remember the orientation being really boring because I had read the booklet, but most of the girls there hadn't.

Only two of the sororities have houses, and the rest have chapter rooms, so the first two rounds were done in classrooms and in our student union to level the playing field.

The first sorority I visited was Polka Dots. I realllllllly wanted to be in this sorority! Their philanthropy was really close to my heart, and I was extremely impressed by their party. I was startled by the singing and yelling through, my Rho Gamma never warned us, so that was a bit strange. They had a slideshow that showed all the sisters hanging out, and I really felt like I could fit in there. The sisters all seemed to really like me.

The next one I visited was Stripes. They were incredibly small, they only had 8 active sisters, and our group had 15 or so girls in it, so that was a bit awkward. They all wore poodleskirts, which really put me off, I don't know why though. The girl that showed me around showed off all of the letters girls in her chapter had made, and other small trinkets, and the room was just very quiet. I felt as though I wouldn't be "homemaker" enough for them. It's a hard thing to explain.

The next chapter I visited was Leopard Print. I also loved them. I had an easy time talking to the sisters, and I felt like I would really fit in there. I remember that the sister that showed me around answered all my questions before I even got a chance to ask any myself, and I felt like I really belonged. The only thing that I didn't like was that I asked about their philanthropy, and the girl didn't want to talk about it because the next day was their philanthropy night. I just thought that was strange. I also only talked to one sister, which was strange as there were about 40 sisters in the room, and there were only about 15 or so girls in our group.

The next was Swirls. They were absolutely beautiful, and the room was completely decorated in their colors and their mascot, which was cute. They were all in matching shirts from their last philanthropy project, and they were very easy to talk to. I loved them.

We then had a break and Panhel ordered pizza for us. I developed a headache, and no one seemed to have any Tylenol or anything like that.

I went to Stars right after break, and I was very quiet there because I had such a bad headache, and I really just wanted to go to my dorm and take a nap. This group gave us a card when we walked in with a symbol on it, and we broke up into groups according to this symbol. In this smaller group, the sisters explained about why the symbol was important to Stars, and they answered any questions that we had. I felt really at home with Stars, even though I had a terrible headache.

The last chapter I visited was Lace. Their room was extremely laid back, and they had pillows all over the floor, and we sat on them and chatted, which was a nice break from the standing at I had done all day. They all wore matching purchased letters, and the room was decorated in a luau theme. It was cute, and I spent the entire time talking to this amazing girl that was just so sweet and easy to talk to. I loved her, and I thought that if I joined lace then I wanted her as my big sister.

After a long day, Day 1 was over, and we were told to come to the Greek Life Office the following morning between 8am and 12, and we would get our invitations to visit chapters the following day. We could only visit 4 chapters, and we would select them then.

Last edited by justabostongirl; 01-02-2008 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

good luck! i hope everything works out for you!

Forever and Ever my love goes to Royal Purple and Pure Gold
Old 01-03-2008, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

That's awesome that you liked so many of the chapters! How will you choose in the end? Ah! Well yeah, it's mutual selection...but still!
Old 01-03-2008, 12:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Day 2:

So I go to the Greek Life Office to get my invites for that day's parties, and I am relieved to see that there are 4 invites in my envelope, which is how many parties I could attend that day. So I accepted them all and left.

I was invited back to:
Polka Dots
Stripes
Stars
Lace

I was extremely excited about where I was invited back, but I was a little disappointed about Leopard Print because I really had thought that I had made a good impression with them. I didn't wallow for long though and I headed off for the rest of my classes.

After work, I met my group at the student union, and we set off for that day's parties. My friend had been invited back to the exact same groups if you were interested, and yes, we spent day 2 together as well.

Stripes: As it was philanthropy night, we learned about what their philanthropy was, and we watched a very touching video about it. We then made puppets to sell at a later date to raise money for their philanthropy. I don't feel as though I fit in here, but I give it a good chance. One of the other girls in my group was talking about her allergy to wheat, which I thought was really a bazaar topic choice, and it made me a bit uncomfortable, but that wasn't Stripes's fault as they didn't bring it up. I left unsure as the girls are very nice.

Stars: I next visited stars. They also had a video about their philanthropy, and we did a craft project relating to it (I can't say what or it will be glaringly obvious!). I was seated with girls that I had met the previous day, and I had so much fun here! They were so easy to talk to, and we were laughing and joking around. A ton of the sisters came over to talk to me, and many of them mentioned that they had noticed we were having fun and wanted to join in. I love this group.

Polka Dots: I went in very excited to see this group again, and we made squares to put in a quilt to be sold to raise money. I was forced to make a square even though I really didn't know what to put on it because the sisters were putting letters on their squares, and it wasn't like I could do that! I doodled while I was sitting with these two girls, and we were chatting about what sorority life is really like, and then one of them said the strangest thing. She looked at me and says: "A lot of people tell me that I just bought my friends. But I didn't. That's such a lie, and I hate that saying." It made me really uncomfortable, actually. She said it in an extremely standoffish tone, and I had never heard this saying before, and it was so strange to me that she brought it up. The conversation got a bit strained after that. I left feeling confused. I loved this group, but I was sure I was going to get cut.

Lace: My last group of the day was lace. Again, they had pillows out, and we were laying on the floor coloring pictures about their philanthropy and chatting, and I felt so at home! It was wonderful to be in such a relaxed setting after the awkwardness of the previous party. I didn't want to leave!

And with that, Day 2 was over. We were told again to go to the Greek Life Office the next day to select our invites, but we had that day off before pref.

I knew that I loved lace and stars, but as for the others? Well I was confused!

The next morning, I went to the GLO, and got my invites...

Lace
Stars
Stripes

No Polka Dots! I was down about it, but I knew, deep down, that it was going to happen.

And my friend? She got cut from all 4 chapters after the philanthropy round. That was very awkward as we very rarely have no matches.

Stay tuned for Pref Night!
Old 01-03-2008, 01:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
I think I have a guess who Stripes is, but I'll see at the end. This is fun, interesting and fast! Love it.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:36 AM
GreekChat Member

im on the edge of my seat!! since swirls got out early, im gonna cheer for LACE!