GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,514
4 members and 2,510 guests
Cookiez17, John

Old 07-13-2012, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

An opinion piece by Mark Schlabach on ESPN.com on why Penn State should be hit with NCAA sanctions.

Penn State deserves NCAA wrath

Some excerpts…

Quote:
If Ohio State can't play in a bowl game this season because former Buckeyes coach Jim Tressel lied to NCAA investigators about his players' receiving free tattoos, how can Penn State play in the postseason after former coach Joe Paterno helped cover up the horrific actions of a serial child rapist?

If North Carolina can't play in the postseason this season because some of its players received improper benefits from agents and committed academic fraud, how can Penn State be eligible for the postseason after its former president and vice president, athletic director and legendary coach fostered a culture in which a pedophile used the school's facilities, sideline passes to games and bowl trips like candy to lure the young boys he molested?

And if USC was banned from the postseason for two years and lost more than 20 scholarships because the school failed to oversee the compliance of its most high-profile players, how can Penn State go unpunished by the NCAA when the university's most-high ranking officials failed to even do what was morally right when they learned young boys were violated and the victims and others were probably still at risk?
The article ends with this.

Quote:
In 2001, after former Penn State assistant Mike McQueary witnessed Sandusky raping a boy in a shower, Schultz helped The Second Mile acquire a university-owned parcel for the same price the school paid a couple of years earlier. Even though Schultz investigated McQueary's claims only a few months earlier, he helped Sandusky continue his efforts with The Second Mile, which was established to help troubled kids.

Freeh said, "There's more red flags here than you could count over a long period of time." But to protect Paterno and themselves, Penn State's administrators chose to ignore those warning signs.

During the next several months, the NCAA will weigh whether the Nittany Lions will face on-field sanctions for the Penn State administration's lack of action in stopping a child predator.

Fortunately, Freeh and his group already have done the NCAA's work. If a massive cover-up of a child rapist's disgusting actions isn't a major violation, I'm not sure anything else is.
(Bolding mine)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-13-2012, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I guess the question is, does sanctioning the entire team of student athletes who had nothing to do with this solve this problem or make it less likely that it would happen again? It certainly doesn't hurt Paterno, Spanier or the other bozo who I won't bother looking to Google to find his wortless name. It hurts the athletes. I'm no fan of Penn State Football, but I think a little creativity is needed to make the punishment fit the crime.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 07-13-2012, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
I guess the question is, does sanctioning the entire team of student athletes who had nothing to do with this solve this problem or make it less likely that it would happen again? It certainly doesn't hurt Paterno, Spanier or the other bozo who I won't bother looking to Google to find his wortless name. It hurts the athletes. I'm no fan of Penn State Football, but I think a little creativity is needed to make the punishment fit the crime.
I agree. In the other situations, the players also broke the rules. In this situation, they did not.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
I agree. In the other situations, the players also broke the rules. In this situation, they did not.
But 99.999% of the time, the players who broke the rules are NOT the ones punished by the NCAA actions ... so I'm not sure it's really all that different.

That is to say, when USC/Oregon/OSU/Miami/etc. are punished, it's often years later, and the offenders are already gone. How is this different for those kids?
Old 07-14-2012, 12:16 AM
GreekChat Member

This situation didn't involve the players period, though.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
This situation didn't involve the players period, though.
Exactly. This won't teach them anything either.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 07-14-2012, 03:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSig RC View Post
But 99.999% of the time, the players who broke the rules are NOT the ones punished by the NCAA actions ... so I'm not sure it's really all that different.

That is to say, when USC/Oregon/OSU/Miami/etc. are punished, it's often years later, and the offenders are already gone. How is this different for those kids?
I don't necessarily agree with it then either. But if it doesn't involve any players at all, then I see a difference.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:03 AM
GreekChat Member

I admit - kinda agree with what the article is saying. It's the school that reaps most of the benefits of postseason play, and if the school breaks the rules, then it shouldn't be eligible for those benefits. If the NCAA wants to punish the school, I think that's consistent with past sanctions they've doled out.

Personally, I'd like to see the sanctions be limited to either (1) prohibiting Penn State from receiving financial benefits of postseason play, or (2) allowing Penn State athletes to transfer to another school without penalty, or both (1) and (2).

So, if Penn State performs well enough to be eligible for a bowl, then let the players have the fun of playing in the bowl. But, all the money the school would ordinarily take in from that appearance should be divided among all the other bowl participants. Or, have the school identify a cause to have the money donated to (but not in their name).

I guess I see it like this: If the purpose behind having NCAA sanctions is to punish schools that allow or condone improper behavior (cheating, accepting illegal gifts or funds, etc...), then Penn State is deserving of sanctions. I guess that's why I'd like to see the Penn State players have the option to transfer without penalty.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

To me, sanctioning the team sounds like shutting down a Greek system because the Student Affairs Director was involved in a drug ring in his spare time.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
To me, sanctioning the team sounds like shutting down a Greek system because the Student Affairs Director was involved in a drug ring in his spare time.
That would be roughly comparable only if the school received millions of dollars as a result of covering up said drug ring.

This is much worse than what got SMU the death penalty. Allow the students to transfer and shut down Penn State football for at least a couple years'd be my solution to this. A strong message needs to be sent that bad publicity is a lot better than covering up child molestation.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 07-14-2012, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

How did the school receive millions because of what Sandusky did?

The message needs to be sent to the administration, not the students and athletes who had no part in this.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
How did the school receive millions because of what Sandusky did?
The school didn't receive millions because of what Sandusky did - they received millions as a result of covering up what he did.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyK View Post
The school didn't receive millions because of what Sandusky did - they received millions as a result of covering up what he did.
I doubt that replacing him would have caused the players to immediately forget what he taught and start losing games.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I doubt that replacing him would have caused the players to immediately forget what he taught and start losing games.
I doubt that, too. The issue, though, is that the administration knew what he had done and instead of doing the right thing in response, they chose to sweep it under the rug for the sake of their football program. Again, just based on the comparisons presented in the article (schools acting in a way that promoted/condoned improper behavior), sanctions against Penn State seem warranted.

I completely agree that it's unfair for the student athletes to be punished for the actions of their administrators. But that's also consistent with NCAA sanctions. Not all of the Buckeye players got free tattoos, but all of them were punished. Not all the USC players were illegally compensated, but all of them were punished. If the NCAA sanctions were appropriately applied because of those relatively minor infractions, I truly do see how sanctions would be appropriate for such a heinous offense.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyK View Post
I completely agree that it's unfair for the student athletes to be punished for the actions of their administrators. But that's also consistent with NCAA sanctions. Not all of the Buckeye players got free tattoos, but all of them were punished. Not all the USC players were illegally compensated, but all of them were punished. If the NCAA sanctions were appropriately applied because of those relatively minor infractions, I truly do see how sanctions would be appropriate for such a heinous offense.
But again, in this case, none of the players were involved.

@~/~~~~