GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,040
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, ausinpetrov7195
» Online Users: 1,385
2 members and 1,383 guests
Cookiez17, Phrozen Sands

Old 02-28-2008, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

What went wrong with your wedding?

I thought this could be a fun thread because we all know that no matter how much you plan and spend, something won't go exactly how you planned it!

Here's mine, from my second wedding:

Everything was planned, dress was ordered, photographer, DJ, caterer, location, church! It was all done. I decided to use a florist who was very close to my home. It was about a month before the wedding and I drive past the strip mall where the florist is and I noticed that the windows are blank and the place looks empty! I pull into the parking lot and read a note on the door that says they went out of business!!!! They had my deposit! They didn't call me or anything! I was in a panic. I dashed home and called the number on the receipt I had. They reassured me that they would still do my flowers and would bring them to that shop when I needed to pick them up ,etc. I was quite nervous about it the whole time though. It worked out find, but they sure gave me a big scare!
Old 02-28-2008, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
What went wrong with your wedding?
hmmm...would it be too bitchy to say "choice of groom"?
Old 02-28-2008, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

My big sister's wedding almost went on without flowers - we had to keep her from coming in to see the church while we tried to hunt down the florist. He showed at the LAST possible minute!
Old 02-28-2008, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

We had some minor things (didn't order enough corsages/boutonnieres for everyone, forgot to get memorial flowers, our photographer got lost so we didn't get pro pictures on central campus like I'd hoped) but those were no big deal.

The major thing:
The husband popped the ligament for his right ring finger during a flag football game 10 days before the wedding. He had to have major hand surgery 6 days before the wedding to fix it and then was in a molded brace for 6 weeks post surgery. Luckily, the tux fit over the brace, However, he decided to wear a surgical sleeve over it for most of the day, so it looks like he's wearing a sock puppet in many photos. We laugh about it now, and we were even laughing about it the day of our wedding, but it was certainly unexpected.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

The weather was gorgeous the day before our outdoor April wedding. It rained that night, but it was supposed to be nice the Saturday of our wedding. The sun came out that morning, and it was warm. The wedding was at 2. At 1:30, clouds started rolling in and the wind picked up, and everyone was freezing. We all stood out there freezing, and in the middle of a prayer, my veil blew off. Just ripped right off the back of my head. Luckily my brother-in-law grabbed it, and to my mom's horror, balled it up and held onto it. The chaplain said, "Well, I guess this is the part in the ceremony where we remove the veil." It's my favorite part of the wedding video, though. Everyone looks horrified.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

not so much the wedding as the honeymoon. And perhaps that should have been the sign of things to come...

1st night - I didn't stress until after the wedding was over. The whole day hit me hard as we checked into the hotel room, so my ex suggested I take a bath to relax me. Room service knocked on the door while I was getting dressed in the bathroom afterwards; startled me so much I dropped my nightgown in the toilet.

2nd morning - Coke machine dumped its contents - we had free soft drinks the rest of the trip. [this was actually a good thing]

2nd afternoon - stopped in a hospital because my ear was hurting. Being a good girl scout all I could think of was Juliet Gordon Low going deaf after her wedding because rice was lodged in her ear. First thing with my married name was a hospital bracelet [although the staff at the hospital was amused when we walked up and said, "We just got married yesterday, and we think we might have a problem"].

Sometime mid week my ex left the lights on after we had been driving in the rain. Battery died.

We went swimming in the Atlantic Ocean one morning. My ex forgot to take the condo key out of his pocket and lost it. We had to ride bikes 4 miles and back to get a replacement key.

End of the week we went to Savannah. Checked into a hotel, opened the door, and they had given us a room that was already occupied. Family was inside watching tv.

Next morning, the streets of Savannah flooded. We decided it was time to go home.

Yep, should have read the signs....
Old 02-28-2008, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I had minor things go wrong that we laugh about now!

First one-one of my bridesmaids was getting married a month after we did. Our bridesmaid dresses were like, 2 numbers apart, so I mixed up the dress number that I told her to order, and she had on the wrong dress. Same color as everyone else's, and luckily the difference was only the straps-she has long hair, she wore it down, and it was covered!!

2nd-the grooms cake was in the shape of his college mascot. Apperantly right before the recption, the head fell off!! The cake people propped it back on with a chocolate bar under the chin, and no one ever told me-I didn't even notice-you can't see it in pictures, and when I found out I laughed about it.

3rd-our dj sucked!!! I gave him a list of songs to play, and country music and Michael Bolton were NOT on that list. But they got played alot anyways.

Ok, last one-this is sort of funny. At our rehersal, my dad and I were at the entrance to the church with the wedding coordinator-she told us, "Ok, you'll walk in to the first pew and stop, and I'll fix your dress and then you'll go on". Ok, no big deal. So the wedding comes, we do this, and head on down the aisle. Mr.RN and I are in the limo on the way to the reception, and he's like-why did you come in and stop??? I had no clue what he was talking about. He said-"I saw you walk in, and stop, and I saw your dad talking to you-was he trying to convince you to not run or something??"

Poor Mr.RN! I didn't think to tell him I was doing this, and he thought I was having second thoughts about getting married!!
Old 02-28-2008, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Where to start? First I was planning a Missouri wedding from Florida, and that's difficult to say the least. I had my dress, and my mother's dress shipped by the store. Well they didn't have signature required, and UPS left the dresses out (in boxes of course) but on a rainy day. Luckily my aunt lived next door and saw the delivery and picked them up for us.

Then less than two weeks before the wedding, the limo company goes out of business. I can't find ANY way to contact them. So, I book another one. Well both showed up.... and I had to go throw a fit in the middle of the reception, and tell the first guy that I was NOT paying him, because I tried EVERYTHING to contact him. *lol*

We lit the unity candle and the flame jumped WAY up (no one thought to trim the wick.) No kidding it was a 6 inch flame. hahahaa

I must say that the wedding cake (5 tier cheesecake from My Daddy's Cheesecake) was divine and the highlight of the whole damn thing.

But the Honeymoon was truly a comedy of errors. First we arrive in Memphis about 2 am to stay the night at the Adam's Mark before flying out to Houston to go on our cruise.

When we get there, I had reserved a really nice suite, but apparantly the cleaning lady didn't come in that day, and we arrived at the room to see it completely destroyed.

So they give us a room that is AWFUL. The wallpaper is peeling off the walls, and it was just-- funky. Granted I had paid over $300 for the night. But we were exhausted, so we just collapsed anyway. Well the Adam's Mark failed to give us our wake-up call, and we woke up less than 1 hour before our flight. So we RUSH to get ready, and lets just say we didn't even have time to shower. My hair was freaking bride of frankenstein. Up in this huge ponytail a total mess. My new hubby was in a fowl mood, because he's hypoglycemic and didn't have time to eat.

We are wearing those cutesy "bride and groom" shirts, and we look like we are ready to kill someone and each other. *LOL* We get to the airport, and had to run down the concourse-- only to be put on a prop plane for almost 3 freaking hours. It was AWFUL.

We then got to the ship and they take our picture. Keep in mind we are looking oh so happy, me with my bride of frankenstien hair, and us in our matchy tshirts... oh LORD I wish I had bought that picture. We looked miserable.

We collapsed in the bed in our ship and didn't even manage to get up for the boat drill. We slept right through it....

Luckily the cruise was wonderful. We went to Cozumel, Cancun, and Roatan, Honduras. GREAT diving...

Although if I had to do it all over again I'd go back to the Occidental Grand Flamenco in Xcaret. :-)

Hubby and I have been happily married for 8 years, and I wish we would have eloped! We spent a total (parents and then what we bought) of about 30k on the wedding... and I would have to have that in cash now.

Warning: The above post may be dripping in sarcasm and full of smartassedness.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
oh boy! Let's see:
we had pictures done before our wedding. My bouquet fell apart during the photos. So we had to put all the bridesmaids flowers together so I could have a bouquet during the ceremony. The next day, I went OFF on the flower shop. They refunded us

We were going to jump the broom and have a guestbook out for folks to sign. I left them in the car (which was parked at the valet)

And the biggie
I left the wedding rings in the hotel room safe of the previous hotel we stayed in
So we had a single ring ceremony. I have yet to live that down

and who says that Vegas weddings were not stressful?
Old 02-28-2008, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

These sound so eventful!

The only people at my wedding were me, my now-husband, my grandmother and the priest. No, we didn't elope.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, this brings back memories...

My headpiece was never ordered. I called the day it was supposed to arrive and they couldn't find it. Then they said they did. I told them I hope it wasn't the one on display, because there was something wrong with it. It was. I took it anyway. It fell apart during my rehearsal hairstyle. They sent it in to be refurbished. When I went to pick it up, let's just say it was horrid looking. They had to redo it because the flowers were different and different colors. They painted them and got paint on the pearls. It looked fine in the end, but it is not the same headpiece as I originally picked out and there is no way it can be used as a first communion headpiece anymore-which is why I picked it out in the first place.

My hairdresser of 8 years tried a new hair coloring technique 5 days before the wedding. Let's just say I had a bright red strip of roots with auburn hair. She redyed it. It was still two different colors. I had to leave to go pick up my rings, so she had me meet her first thing in the morning to redye it again. When dry it looked the same color pretty much--not when wet-and wouldn't you know we were going to the Bahamas?

I couldn't figure out why the pieces of wedding cheese cake were so small at the reception. We had bought an extra large tier that wasn't on display. Well, neither the cake or reception people know what happened to it or the container of fruit that was left to add to the top of the cake. Oh yeah, the top of my cake was mixed fruit and I was missing like half of it. It was good though and the one complaint was that everyone's piece was too small.

The reception hall decided to modify my seating plan-which had my inlaws sitting across the hall from each other because they were in the middle of a nasty divorce-not next to each other! Luckily I had a great DJ who swapped tables around. I wondered why my second uncle and third cousins were sitting at the table next to my parents! It could have been MUCH worse.

And finally the photographer-though if they miss you coming into the church, the husband standing at the front of the church, the first kiss and your MIL coming into the reception with you ring bearer and flower girl, would you honestly call them one? Or having to ask to move because you are looking straight into the sun and everyone's face is squinted up? Let's see, we are going on 5 years and have yet to get our wedding album done. We can't even find good pictures out the lot. I'll spare you the details on how the ones he did take came out.

Our guests had a great time though. Everyone is still talking about how great it was. Our DJ was first rate and got 4 contracts that I know of out of it.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I did the traditional church wedding. As the organist started to play my processional music, dad and I moved toward the door to go in... not realizing the danged wedding coordinator had her foot on the train of my vail.

So... vail comes tumbling down, taking down half my up-do with it.

This whole time the door into the church remained closed. It took one-and-a-half stanzas of the anthem for the wedding coordinator to get the vail back on, and my hair partly put back together.

Meanwhile, my poor husband is standing up at the front sweating that I wasn't coming. He still gives me a hard time about it 4 years later.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sageofages
I was a wedding coordinator at our church for a long time...and a darned good one I would like to say!

I learned how NOT to be from the witch who was the coordinator at my baby sister's wedding. My sister was married at a church where we were not members because our church was just a little small for her financee's LARGE local family.

I made my sister's wedding dress. It had a very detailed and specially beaded and embroidered train. The wedding coordinator kept saying that right before my sister would go down the aisle she would adjust her train, and my sister would tell her EMPHATICALLY "NO, my sister made the dress and I want her to do all of that". It got to the point where my sister talked to the minister about this and he had to intercede with the wedding coordinator about this issue.

SO...I am 5 months pregnant when my sister is married and already quite big and a bit off balance. My sister is standing in the doorway of the sancutary about to head down the aisle. I bend over to adjust her train and that
(&%^%$ wedding coordinator puts two hands on my rear and SHOVES me forward onto my hands and knees! Fortunately, my sister had started walking down the aisle so I didn't land on her dress.

I politely closed the door and ripped that person a new one (poor Mr. Sageofages he was mortified!). After the wedding, my parents sent a letter of complaint to the church about her attitude.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

We had the full blown huge wedding planned down to a T (my mom did the planning while I was still in college, I got married 3 weeks after I graduated). We had 8 bridesmaids and 8 groomsmen, 6 ushers, plus a ring bearer and two flower girls - so a large wedding party.

Part of the plan was that the attendents would park their cars at the club where the reception was being held. A limo service was taking us all from the church to the reception, we had ordered 4, and then one limo would stay and take me and my husband to our hotel for the night (we were leaving the next morning for our honeymoon).

The wedding went of without a hitch, it was beautiful. So, after the ceremony, we all stay behind to have the pictures taken. This takes quite a while, so the church is deserted. We walk out to go to the reception and NO LIMOS. The only cars that were at the church were family members who had been in the pictures. Somehow, we piled in, everybody sitting on top of each other crammed into these cars. I was sitting on my husbands lap in the front seat of his dad's car (2 door sports car) - mind you, I had a stiff satin gown with a cathedral length train and veil - try cramming that into a front seat!

It was absolutely hilarious when we got to the reception, watching everybody come piling out of cars, like some comedy skit.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

OH, and one more thing. I was wearing this strapless bra/slip thing. Well, that thing was squeezing me to death. I couldn't catch my breath, I thought I was having a panic attack or extreme anxiety. As the night went on, it got worse and worse. Finally, I went into the ladies lounge where I laid on a chaize. One of my mom's friends found me and thinking that I needed to calm down, gave me some valium pills.

I did feel better, but immediately crashed the minute we hit our room that night - how romantic