GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,952
1 members and 1,951 guests
Titchou
Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb021 View Post
Let's see. There is only one service fraternity- APO and two service sororities- GSS and OPA.

APO places no restriction on members joining other organizations or being a member of other orgs (we have long been proud of our members being members of other groups).

I am not aware of either GSS or OPA placing restrictions on their members joining (or being a member) of other organizations. While I wouldn't see a problem with something being in APO & GSS or APO & OPA, some might have an issue with being in GSS & OPA, but am unaware of any such rule. Those who are part of GSS & OPA should be able to add to this.

I am a member of OPA and we place no restrictions on members being a part of any other organization. I agree with APO, we are proud of members who are part of other groups. It helps diversify our group and gives us connections with other groups on campus.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-13-2008, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via MSN to OWTLAW63 Send a message via Yahoo to OWTLAW63
Depleging yourself does not constitute imediate memory loss of the most sacred tenents of your ORG. Now if you dont mind that information becoming public knowledge and exploited by all means go right ahead.

"fidelity" More Than Just A Word!!
http://www.youtube.com/iota63
"this is not a post its a signature"
Old 02-17-2008, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Rude awAKAning
I'm feelin' the sass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sass n klass View Post
It sounds to me like you only joined because your first choice wasn't available....which means you want to wear the T-shirt.
SASS like that can only be made in MICHIGAN! I remember when the AKAs were suspended at my school for ten years...then some of the "interests" just "grew impatient" and "changed their minds."

Quote:
Originally Posted by sass n klass View Post
letters with or without the coat of arms is the biggest no no.....if you aren't a member it can get really ugly pretty fast.
But telling them what they can't wear? *sarcasm* now that would be hazing right soror?
Old 07-16-2008, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Strive
Quote:
Originally Posted by OWTLAW63 View Post
Depleging yourself does not constitute imediate memory loss of the most sacred tenents of your ORG. Now if you dont mind that information becoming public knowledge and exploited by all means go right ahead.

"fidelity" More Than Just A Word!!
I never understood the purpose of depledging. As if there is a reversal ceremony to forget what you gain from your organization. The strange thing about depledgers, they are still attached to their org. Janice, a depledger of
XYZ sorority.

Disclaimer: NPHC does not pledge. They have membership intake process. If there are any similarity between the two, it's all in your mind.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:12 AM
GreekChat Member

I know that this thread is pretty old, but I know that several founding members of GSS were also members of an NPC organization (I forget which one(s).

I experienced GSS an AXiD at different campuses, so I didn't encounter any conflicts of any sort. As an active alum of both, I just have to make sure I wear the right pin to my meeting!

Old 07-20-2008, 02:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DreamfulSpirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by emb021 View Post
Let's see. There is only one service fraternity- APO and two service sororities- GSS and OPA.

APO places no restriction on members joining other organizations or being a member of other orgs (we have long been proud of our members being members of other groups).

I am not aware of either GSS or OPA placing restrictions on their members joining (or being a member) of other organizations. While I wouldn't see a problem with something being in APO & GSS or APO & OPA, some might have an issue with being in GSS & OPA, but am unaware of any such rule. Those who are part of GSS & OPA should be able to add to this.
There's actually a third service sorority....Epsilon Sigma Alpha, which have both collegiate chapters and non-collegiate chapters.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Quala67
Virginia Tech has a local service sorority, Chi Delta Alpha.

Alumnus, Zeta Beta/Va Tech and ADI/VCU
Advisor, Alpha Beta Omega/ODU, Phi Mu/NSU, & AZPhi/Regent U
Old 07-22-2008, 05:15 PM
Unregistered-

Bumping just for greekgirl88.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamfulSpirit View Post
There's actually a third service sorority....Epsilon Sigma Alpha, which have both collegiate chapters and non-collegiate chapters.
There is also Beta Sigma Phi which also has college and non-collegiate chapters. I am both Beta Sigma Phi and Kappa Alpha Theta.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Noob question, because I don't understand what you guys mean by NPC and NHPC or whatever.

I joined a fraternity (Theta Chi) at my current school, long story short I'm not sure if I'll be going back to the school for a number of reasons. If I transfer, is there anyway to just have my name taken out of the database/nationals so I can join a new fraternity at a new school?
Old 07-31-2008, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpm4 View Post
Noob question, because I don't understand what you guys mean by NPC and NHPC or whatever.

I joined a fraternity (Theta Chi) at my current school, long story short I'm not sure if I'll be going back to the school for a number of reasons. If I transfer, is there anyway to just have my name taken out of the database/nationals so I can join a new fraternity at a new school?
As for your first question:

NPC = National Panhellenic Conference (26 member sororities/fraternities for women)

NPHC = National Pan-Hellenic Council (The Divine Nine - didn't find a seperate website for them)

As for your second question:

If once a pledge @ one fraternity, am I still able to join another after transfer?

Beyond that, I think that only Theta Chi HQ could tell you whether you can just quit. In my fraternity (non-NIC), you can be expelled, but you can't quit on your own.

ETA: The thread to which I linked seems to focus more on someone who pledged and then transferred without being initiated. So far as I know, no NIC fraterinity (or former NIC fraternity, like Kappa Sig) will knowingly pledge a man who has already been initiated into another fraternity unless the former fraternity has released him from membership. Even if he has been released, there are some fraternities that will not knowingly pledge him.

Echoing DSTChaos -- Is Theta Chi not a the school to which you may transfer?

Last edited by MysticCat; 07-31-2008 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
NHPC
NPHC = National Pan-Hellenic Council

Google it. Theta Chi isn't in it.

Quote:
I guess you don't love Theta Chi. Is there not a chapter of Theta Chi at the new school?
Old 07-31-2008, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
NPHC = National Pan-Hellenic Council

Google it. Theta Chi isn't in it.

I guess you don't love Theta Chi. Is there not a chapter of Theta Chi at the new school?
There's nothing really wrong with the particular one I joined, me leaving more has to do with financial/personal reasons. There is a chapter of Theta Chi at the new school, unfortunately I haven't heard very good things about it, although I'd probably check it out. So what exactly does that mean that Theta Chi isn't in the NPHC in terms of switching/canceling membership?
Old 07-31-2008, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
So what exactly does that mean that Theta Chi isn't in the NPHC in terms of switching/canceling membership?
Nothing. You'd need to look at Theta Chi policy on releasing you from membership, NIC policy prohibiting dual memberships in member fraternities, and the policy of any other fraternity you might be interested in.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
So what exactly does that mean that Theta Chi isn't in the NPHC in terms of switching/canceling membership?
Nothing. You didn't know what NPC and NPHC are and we're telling you.
Closed Thread