GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Gamma
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,460
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, anthonshtolze75
» Online Users: 2,418
5 members and 2,413 guests
annetaedarky158, Kevin, LaneSig

Old 04-22-2004, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Senior Ceremony

When I graduated from college, the Kappa alumnae association had a very elaborate, beautiful senior ceremony for us. Then, as an alumnae association president, I called HQ to get a copy, only to find out that there wasn't any! I was told that anything like that was chapter-specific. What ideas do you all have for a senior ceremony?

Similarly, there is a song in the 1889 songbook called "Senior's Farewell" that is so sweet from Mu chapter. Does anyone out there still sing it? The refrain is "Farewell, Farewell, our sisters true." Are there any other songs that are senior-related that you know of?

Thanks in advance!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-22-2004, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb poems

My chapter had an elaborate senior ceremony too, I don't think it was anything official but it borrowed a little from formal meetings, a little from initiation, and a little from pledge ceremony. Hard to explain without revealing too much!

Anyway, I have the lyrics for a song we sang (When this key grows old), but I have lost the tune. If you have a book of initiation/formal ceremony songs, it might be in there?

Here are two poems I like you could use:

Wishes for You

We wish you only the very best. We wish you humor and a twinkle in your eye. We with you both glory and the strength to bear the burdens that life brings. We wish you peace in the world in which you live and in the smallest corner of your heart where truth is kept. We wish you empathy – so many relationships are shattered because we fail to see the other person’s viewpoint. We wish you friendship, that special bond that we have found here in Kappa. And most of all, we wish you love – because love is what makes the rest worthwhile.
-- Anonymous

With Kappa Love, From a Kappa Sister
Anonymous

Just before you go to sleep
And of a bond that never dies.
Think of blues both light and deep;
Think about the fleur-de-lis
Think about the key that you wear
And then, again, about the key.
And Kappa Sisters, true and fair;
But most of all, before you sleep
Think about the owl so wise
Think of friends you’ll always keep.

Loyally,
Paula
Old 04-22-2004, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

There is a small ceremony in the Alumnae book, but most Alumnae Associations choose to do their own thing for the seniors. At my undergrad, my senior year was the first year the alumnae got together and did something for us--a potato bar supper, a quick presentation on Alumnae Assocaitions and they presented us all with very nice Kappa pens.

At the chapter I advise, the Alumnae put on a Senior Salad supper. The Seniors get engraved Kappa spoons and the most outstanding senior is presented with an award.

I think it's wonderful you want to continue on that tradition.

You can never go wrong with Dream Awhile--may be fitting as many chapters use it for preference; you're starting and ending your undergrad with Dream Awhile.

Another one we sang was Our Best to You
Our best to you
May your dreams come true
May old father time
Never be unkind
And through the years
Save your smiles and tears
They are souvenirs
They make music in your heart
Remember this
Each new day's a kiss
Sent from up above
With a Kappa's love
So here's to you
May your dreams come true
Kappa's love's best
That's our best to you

It's actually an old song, only a few words are changed to make it Kappa-ish.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.