GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,471
0 members and 1,471 guests
No Members online

Old 09-16-2002, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Question Would you rather...

This question is directed more towards girls that have recently gone through recruitment, but is open to everyone...

When attending parties at smaller sororities, would you rather:
a) be rushed by a member of a neighboring chapter and hope to get to know the chapter sisters in later rounds?
b) be in a "double pick up" situation where you're "sharing" the chapter sister with another PNM?

Why?
Old 09-16-2002, 09:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to suzymoonspider
I am going through recruitment later this week- I would prefer to have a neighboring chapter if it meant more one on one interaction- because they would be my "sisters" too- and I would more than likely see them again. It is better than having 2-1, at least I think so!
Old 09-16-2002, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to alphaiota Send a message via Yahoo to alphaiota
i wish we would have had about 25 girls just like you at my school when my chapter rushed just like that with neighboring chapters.

shelley j
sigma k
Old 09-16-2002, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
We had a neighboring chapter come help us with rush. We did our best to make sure that all the PNMs met at least one ZE Kappa (we rush 2 on 2, so we paired ZEs with Xs 'cuz they were better rushers). However, we had several women cut us because they didn't feel they'd met enough ZEs. On the other hand, many of the girls who went Kappa commented that they really liked the fact that an older, larger chapter drove 6 hours to come to the aid of a smaller, newer chapter that needed it. And we returned the visit that spring and made some friends. So all in all I think it was good. Just try to make sure that you pair locals with guests so that PNMs feel that they get to meet at least one woman from the home chapter.
Old 09-16-2002, 11:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shark_in_Skirt Send a message via Yahoo to Shark_in_Skirt
I'm sure I'm going to be in the miniority here, but I would much rather be doubled up with another PNM.

I don't see why it isn't taken as an excellent occassion to get to know a potential sister!

XOXO,
Annie.
Old 09-17-2002, 12:01 AM
GreekChat Member

i would rather "share" a sister from that chapter with another pnm because sisters vary so much from house to house, even if they are neighboring... i think its important to get the perspective of a person who is an active member in that house...
Old 09-17-2002, 08:00 AM

from a rushee's viewpoint...

Well, it all depends. If this other chapter is one that you have an ongoing relationship with and that I would see again if I pledged, I'd say bring them on. But if the other chapter is one that has just been trucked in for the day, who you have nothing in common with but your sorority, and they are using a rush style that is inappropriate for the campus, I would rather be double rushed. If you love all the gals from neighboring u. and don't like the girls at the actual chapter you are rushing, that could be hairy!

This doesn't apply to colony situations, of course.
Old 09-17-2002, 01:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
I'd definitely rather share with a PNM, for most of the reasons that 33girl stated.
Old 09-17-2002, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
You should consider having your chapter's alumnae return and help with rush. It demonstrates that sisterhood extends beyond college.

I think that if you have another chapter come in and help, they should have limited contact with rushees. The PNMs need to meet chapter sisters. The other chapter can be an aid but not a crutch. They can share information about the (inter)national, but it would be difficult for them to talk about the campus greeklife. That's why alumnae may be your best option.
Old 09-17-2002, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I never experienced this as a rushee, but here are my two cents...

I would think perhaps you could double rush, and bring the non-chapter sister into that. Have 2 or more PNMs with a chapter sister AND a non-chapter sister. This way PNMs get to meet women in the actual chapter, but the aide is still provided from the non-chapter sisters. Just a thought...
Old 09-17-2002, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Quote:
Originally posted by Cream
You should consider having your chapter's alumnae return and help with rush.
I'm not asking for my particular chapter, I was just asking in general.
Old 09-17-2002, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I disagree

I just went through rush and it's much harder to get your full personality across when the sorority member has to try to entertain TWO PNMs!
Old 09-17-2002, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Quote:
Originally posted by LeslieAGD

I'm not asking for my particular chapter, I was just asking in general.
Oh in general, a chapter might consider asking chapter alumnae to return and help with recruitment. lol!
Old 09-17-2002, 06:53 PM

This was never an issue for me as a PNM, but as a sister I often had to rush two PNMs and it isn't easy to keep the conversation flowing and keep both PNMs involved!

For earlier rounds, I wouldn't mind a 2-on-2 situation with one sister, one sister from another chapter (or an alum), and two PNMs (like xo_kathy said, but I'd limit it to 2-on-2). If I had to choose between a double pick-up or being rushed 1-on-1 by someone from another chapter, I'd want the 1-on-1 provided I got rotated to someone from the "home" chapter at some point.

For later rounds, especially pref, I would feel unwelcome if I weren't 1-on-1 with a sister from that chapter. Schedule additional pref parties if necessary (I know, easier said than done ).
Old 09-17-2002, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I think the 2 on 2 is an excellent idea. Also in respose to Cream's statement... Having Alums from that chapter is not always feasable. We have a chapter that is most likely going to be in this situation come formal recruitment in the Spring. There are no Alums from that chapter because they were only chartered in April.