GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,875
0 members and 1,875 guests
No Members online

Old 01-28-2013, 01:25 AM
GreekChat Member

University of Southern California: Non-Traditional Sophomore Admit

Post edited to preserve anonymity at 9:30AM January 28th, 2013.

I was worried about my low high school GPA ruining my chances at getting into a sorority (a 2.7), but am starting USC next year by meeting the outlines of my sophomore admissions guarantee! This guarantee asked me to maintain at least a 3.3 to keep my admissions offer, but I now have a 3.9, and will be at USC (Southern California) next year!

Thank you to everybody for your answers and support!

Last edited by NextYearSC; 01-28-2013 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Edited to Preserve Anonymity
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-28-2013, 01:30 AM
GreekChat Member

If you have a college gpa your high school information won't apply.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:37 AM
GreekChat Member

California or Carolina?

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 01-28-2013, 01:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Southern California.

Really, DubaiSis? That would be awesome.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:00 AM
GreekChat Member

OP: please edit your post including removing your name, way too much info that easily identifies you.

good luck with recruitment!!!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 01-28-2013, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Now that you have a college GPA, sororities will not look at high school. Your college 3.9 is what will be reported to them and all you will need to divulge in registration info, so don't worry about that.

So sorry for what you experienced in high school -- I hope you find a wonderful sisterhood at USC!
Old 01-28-2013, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Posts on Greek Chat are anonymous. Sometimes a post may need a second look.

The Dean of Admissions at USC is a male as is the Director of Admissions. There are many women on the admissions committee, but the two senior administrators are men.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Your college GPA is what will be considered, so don't worry about your high school GPA being a factor. You have worked really hard and you have a great college GPA! You don't need to include your admissions essays in your recruitment application. However, you will need letters of recommendation for the sororities at USC. Please read the link in my signature for some great info on recruitment preparation, recommendations, and what to expect at the events.

I'd recommend that you edit your post to delete your name and test scores/GPA/etc. to preserve anonymity.

Be proud of yourself for coming as far as you have and continue to work on yourself. I wish I could tell you that your story is not unique, but there are a lot of women in college, and in sororities, with similar experiences. I hope you continue to heal and wish you the best at USC and in sorority recruitment!
Old 01-28-2013, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football Fan View Post
Posts on Greek Chat are anonymous. Sometimes a post may need a second look.

The Dean of Admissions at USC is a male as is the Director of Admissions. There are many women on the admissions committee, but the two senior administrators are men.
I posted under a different name. My name isn't actually Christina, because I figured as such, but wanted to come off as friendlier because it was a personal story.

The admissions officer who contacted me and was originally my counselor was Anne Aubert-Santelli, but she recently left the school for another opportunity. I'm now working with another USC counselor who is advising me on my coursework and is male, Mark Rasic, but understand your possible reservations and claiming that this post "might need a second look.". I figured it would be okay to post a few details about myself despite my situation's uniqueness, because the sophomore admissions letter I received mentioned that I was one of 2 dozen students who received this special agreement for the 2012 year. In addition, I wanted to fully explain the nature of this situation and make it clear that I wasn't one of the many USC students accepted for spring admission due to my unusual circumstances. I'm genuinely sorry if I came across as suspicious to you.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
Your college GPA is what will be considered, so don't worry about your high school GPA being a factor. You have worked really hard and you have a great college GPA! You don't need to include your admissions essays in your recruitment application. However, you will need letters of recommendation for the sororities at USC. Please read the link in my signature for some great info on recruitment preparation, recommendations, and what to expect at the events.

I'd recommend that you edit your post to delete your name and test scores/GPA/etc. to preserve anonymity.

Be proud of yourself for coming as far as you have and continue to work on yourself. I wish I could tell you that your story is not unique, but there are a lot of women in college, and in sororities, with similar experiences. I hope you continue to heal and wish you the best at USC and in sorority recruitment!
Thank you so much AdPiUCF! I just edited my post, and will definitely check the link in your signature. I also responded to your PM
Old 01-28-2013, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you so much for your help, everybody! I've edited my post with a short summary of my problem, and I'm feeling much better now that I know that my college GPA is what will be looked at. I'm very excited to begin the process of rush this coming year

Edit:
I was also wondering if it would hurt me specifically at USoCal if I did not have letters of recommendations. I know that at many SEC schools letters are necessary, but I am not sure what the situation is at USC. Neither of my parents or any of my relatives have ever been in Greek life, so I'll be the first in my family. I've asked my mom to ask her friends, but there are only a handful and I am not sure if any of them were even in the sororities that are at USC. I've also asked some high school teachers I've had and a female lacrosse coach, but to no avail. Between being a sophomore and possibly not being able to secure any recommendation letters, will my ability to rush be extremely compromised? Other than those two things, I feel that I am a strong candidate with very good grades, social skills, (style and looks, if it matters), and community participation.

Last edited by NextYearSC; 01-28-2013 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Edited to Add Question
Old 01-28-2013, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Get recommendation letters. USC recruitment is Very Competitive. You will need to keep an open mind and go into recruitment every day with fresh eyes.

ETA: there are some terrific posts/threads on GC about how to obtain recomendations.

Paging ellebud!!!!! melindawarren!!! and the other USC regulars.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 01-28-2013, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

First...you are not a non traditional pnm. SC has spring admits and sophomore admits who go through recruitment and find a house. SC does not have formal spring recruitment so spring admits (who are generally sophomores) and fall admit sophomores go through recruitment.

Note: I am now talking about what MY daughter experienced. Going in she had 3 recs. She did not pledge a house where she had a rec. Would it have been "easier" if she more recs? Perhaps...but she almost had a "perfect" rush. She did know a few girls in a couple of houses and that probably did help.

The blanket advice for SC is have a good gpa, dress appropriately for southern California (I have seen the term Church appropriate here...SC is not that conservative), have questions to start conversations if the sister is out of gas and breath mints. Not kidding./
Old 01-28-2013, 07:47 PM
GreekChat Member

From what I understand USC is one of those "must have recs" schools. Having a rec or two for each chapter can't hurt, especially since you're a sophomore. Why risk not having them? You've got plenty of time to find them before fall rush.

P.S. Congrats on your stellar GPA!
Old 01-28-2013, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellebud View Post
First...you are not a non traditional pnm. SC has spring admits and sophomore admits who go through recruitment and find a house. SC does not have formal spring recruitment so spring admits (who are generally sophomores) and fall admit sophomores go through recruitment.

Note: I am now talking about what MY daughter experienced. Going in she had 3 recs. She did not pledge a house where she had a rec. Would it have been "easier" if she more recs? Perhaps...but she almost had a "perfect" rush. She did know a few girls in a couple of houses and that probably did help.

The blanket advice for SC is have a good gpa, dress appropriately for southern California (I have seen the term Church appropriate here...SC is not that conservative), have questions to start conversations if the sister is out of gas and breath mints. Not kidding./
Okay, that definitely allays my fears. I was just really worried because my high school GPA was super low, although I guess that won't factor into any decisions. That sounds good. It turns out my mom found a lot of people who can write me recommendations. Does getting more than one or two help? And is it okay if not all of the sororities are represented? I've only secured recs for 5 of them so far. How much do recommendations help at USC?