GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,225
1 members and 2,224 guests
Cookiez17

Old 10-13-2009, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Health Reform passed in Senate

WASHINGTON – A pivotal Senate committee has approved a sweeping remake of the country's health care system, delivering a long-sought boost to President Barack Obama's goal of expanding coverage.

The 14-9 vote in the Senate Finance Committee sets up a historic debate on the Senate floor and moves health care overhaul closer to reality than it has been for decades.

Sen. Olympia Snowe of Maine was the only Republican to join 13 committee Democrats in voting "yes."

The 10-year, $829-billion plan approved Tuesday is aimed at extending coverage to millions more Americans, holding down costs and improving health care for all.

The Finance Committee was the last of five congressional committees to act. It produced a centrist-leaning compromise bill.

Senate passes Baucus health reform 14- 9
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-13-2009, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Interesting. I'm looking forward to reading the shitstorm that follows this vote.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Here or in general?
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 10-13-2009, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSeid View Post
Here or in general?
Both.

I've already been caught up in several debates IRL about this. I'm sure GC will follow suit.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
I'm looking forward to reading the shitstorm that follows this vote.
Masochist.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

The current legislation as I understand it does away with mandates, but doesn't do much to require that well people buy insurance. This is smart on the part of the Dems as they will be able to use the subsequent rise in insurance prices to ride public opinion to having a public option.

I'm generally in favor of some kind of reform. The trouble with just about everything is that in order to appease special interests, they're ignoring some of the larger issues. It's almost a given that this'll be a bonanza for some special interests.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 10-13-2009, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I read a great article in Rolling Stone Magazine about this. Let me see if I can find it...

AHA - here it is (I love the internet). It's long, but a very detailed explanation of the forces that the special interest groups are having on legislation, and why what we'll actually get out of it won't be very tenable.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...sick_and_wrong

Starts out with: (then really good read when you have the time)

Quote:
Let's start with the obvious: America has not only the worst but the dumbest health care system in the developed world. It's become a black leprosy eating away at the American experiment — a bureaucracy so insipid and mean and illogical that even our darkest criminal minds wouldn't be equal to dreaming it up on purpose.

The system doesn't work for anyone. It cheats patients and leaves them to die, denies insurance to 47 million Americans, forces hospitals to spend billions haggling over claims, and systematically bleeds and harasses doctors with the specter of catastrophic litigation. Even as a mechanism for delivering bonuses to insurance-company fat cats, it's a miserable failure: Greedy insurance bosses who spent a generation denying preventive care to patients now see their profits sapped by millions of customers who enter the system only when they're sick with incurably expensive illnesses.

The cost of all of this to society, in illness and death and lost productivity and a soaring federal deficit and plain old anxiety and anger, is incalculable — and that's the good news. The bad news is our failed health care system won't get fixed, because it exists entirely within the confines of yet another failed system: the political entity known as the United States of America.

Just as we have a medical system that is not really designed to care for the sick, we have a government that is not equipped to fix actual crises. What our government is good at is something else entirely: effecting the appearance of action, while leaving the actual reform behind in a diabolical labyrinth of ingenious legislative maneuvers.

Over the course of this summer, those two failed systems have collided in a spectacular crossroads moment in American history. We have an urgent national emergency on the one hand, and on the other, a comfortable majority of ostensibly simpatico Democrats who were elected by an angry population, in large part, specifically to reform health care. When they all sat down in Washington to tackle the problem, it amounted to a referendum on whether or not we actually have a functioning government.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

srmom! This article hit the nail on the head. The lawmakers in this country are scurrying around trying to fix the system by lumping more insane broken ideas on top of already failed policies. The system is not really fixable. As a physician, I can't really see how consulting insurance companies and not physicians can improve patient care.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 10-13-2009, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
The current legislation as I understand it does away with mandates, but I'm generally in favor of some kind of reform. The trouble with just about everything is that in order to appease special interests, they're ignoring some of the larger issues. It's almost a given that this'll be a bonanza for some special interests.
Wait, you mean like TARP?

Government is not the solution to the problem, it's the problem.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 10-13-2009, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
Wait, you mean like TARP?
TARP was also completely ridiculous. Targeted bailouts of Wall Street Banks were needed. Everything else was just an orgy of political favor and corruption.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 10-13-2009, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Everything else was just an orgy of political favor and corruption.
Our political system in a nutshell. As long as it costs bajoodles of dollars to get elected, lobbyists will have politicians in their back pockets.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yeah, none of the problems with have in health care now can be laid at the feet of insurance companies.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yeah, none of the problems with have in health care now can be laid at the feet of insurance companies.

Simplistic statements like "the government is the problem" (or "the insurance companies are the problem") are just that: simplistic.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

There's nothing simplistic about this issue.

I'd like to see voters start talking about what they really want: health insurance reform. No one seems to be saying they have a problem with the health care they receive from their health care provider. I don't see any health care providers jumping up and down saying "I want to be paid less for the work I do so everyone can have health care!" but I think that's exactly what we're gonna get.

Say goodbye to your favorite health care provider. She's going to start a new career as a house flipper.

True Lives to Live From Day to Day

Old 10-14-2009, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent&pearls View Post
There's nothing simplistic about this issue.

I'd like to see voters start talking about what they really want: health insurance reform. No one seems to be saying they have a problem with the health care they receive from their health care provider. I don't see any health care providers jumping up and down saying "I want to be paid less for the work I do so everyone can have health care!" but I think that's exactly what we're gonna get.

Say goodbye to your favorite health care provider. She's going to start a new career as a house flipper.
Providers are complicit, though, in the rising cost of health care, right?

Part of health insurance reform is breaking the symbiotic (and grossly pernicious, for the consumer) bond between providers and insurers, which results in both sides benefiting from higher costs, which results in increased haggling between both sides for payment, which in results in higher costs, and so on.

For being groups that supposedly don't get along on a day-to-day basis, providers and insurers seem to be on the same side of the lobbying on this issue.