GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,038
2 members and 1,036 guests
LaneSig, PGD-GRAD

Old 03-17-2013, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

We Are...#1 for Online Schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPoodle View Post
Online grad rates
I found this from a google search on degreejungle.com
http://www.degreejungle.com/rankings...aduation-rates
Must say, I'm pretty pleased to see my alma mater make the #1 spot for graduation rates. I'm a big fan of the Penn State World Campus (though I never attended the online school but, instead University Park) because it is also known to be very "military friendly" in terms of working with our men and women in uniform.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:06 AM
Super Moderator

My illustrious school is on pg 5, 8th down. Yeah son! we're not last! lol
Old 05-15-2013, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPoodle View Post
Online grad rates
I found this from a google search on degreejungle.com
http://www.degreejungle.com/rankings...aduation-rates
I just looked at the list again and no change. I can verify this because when I filled out my FAFSA 34% is what they gave me.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
I'm considering getting an MBA. Glad I came here because this thread has been useful! I haven't read through the whole thing, but I will. So far I'm glad to see that online degrees from a reputable school are not frowned upon.

I am thinking about doing it online, mainly because I'm not crazy about any of the schools in my area...

Which I guess brings me too much question...

Would it be advantageous to pursue an MBA in person at an unknown program? Or to pursue an online degree from a top ranked program such as one of these? http://www.usnews.com/education/onli...n/mba/rankings

(Also, reason 193847298374293784 why I miss Chicago...so many more school options).
Old 09-06-2013, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post
I'm considering getting an MBA. Glad I came here because this thread has been useful! I haven't read through the whole thing, but I will. So far I'm glad to see that online degrees from a reputable school are not frowned upon.

I am thinking about doing it online, mainly because I'm not crazy about any of the schools in my area...

Which I guess brings me too much question...

Would it be advantageous to pursue an MBA in person at an unknown program? Or to pursue an online degree from a top ranked program such as one of these? http://www.usnews.com/education/onli...n/mba/rankings

(Also, reason 193847298374293784 why I miss Chicago...so many more school options).
This is just me but, I would much rather an online degree from a reputable school than an in-person degree from a no-name school. At the end of the day, it's what you put on the top of your resume/ CV that can make or break you in an interview. I'd sooner hire someone with an online degree from well-known university over someone who attended classes at a rinky-dink no-name school.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Ha, I was just about to ask if you were still in Chicago, as I'd be able to give more specific advice in that case.

I think the decision depends on so many things, but I tend to lean towards the in-person MBA.

Are you planning to stay in the same area for a while? Some schools are "no-name" nationally, but well-known locally. You will also network with people in your area in a way that you wouldn't at an online school, both classmates and instructors.

Are you planning to be IN business, or are you planning to be in another field, but move into management? I think school name matters far less in the latter.

Personally, when I review resumes, I don't think that much of the online degree, because a ton of the stuff I did in my MBA could not have been done online, and I think the online courses I've taken have been far less valuable.

Also, the schools on the list you linked aren't even that big name. I think "big name," I want to see Wharton, Harvard, Booth, etc.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Ha, I was just about to ask if you were still in Chicago, as I'd be able to give more specific advice in that case.
I complain about the moving away so much on here I thought everyone knew about the move! Ha!

Quote:
Are you planning to stay in the same area for a while? Some schools are "no-name" nationally, but well-known locally. You will also network with people in your area in a way that you wouldn't at an online school, both classmates and instructors.
Nope, I plan on returning to Chicago within 5 years.

Quote:
Are you planning to be IN business, or are you planning to be in another field, but move into management? I think school name matters far less in the latter.
I like my field, I suppose it would just be for advancement purposes (which I'm actually researching if that's even necessary--I've also sent out a couple emails to trusted mentors in the industry to get their opinions).

Quote:
Personally, when I review resumes, I don't think that much of the online degree, because a ton of the stuff I did in my MBA could not have been done online, and I think the online courses I've taken have been far less valuable.
My best friend has an MBA and I was getting her input. She encouraged in person as well for that reason.

Quote:
Also, the schools on the list you linked aren't even that big name. I think "big name," I want to see Wharton, Harvard, Booth, etc.
Oh for sure! I guess what I meant by showing that list is that, in my opinion, I tend to think more highly of a school of it's their main campus. The only in person option near me is University of Colorado-Colorado Springs. I was curious to know if an online degree from, say, Indiana (#3 on that list) would be more valuable than UCCS (which, ironically was all the way up at #37 on that list--I would not have expected that to be that high!). Not to knock smaller schools/satellite campuses...just my two cents.

If I was in Chicago and I decided to apply, I would be applying to Northwestern and UChicago.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Typically, when you get a degree online from a regular brick & mortar institution, there is no delineation between that degree and one that was obtained on the ground. A lot of students who are on the ground take at least some of their classes online. I'm seeing that even with kids who are living in the dorms on a campus.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
Typically, when you get a degree online from a regular brick & mortar institution, there is no delineation between that degree and one that was obtained on the ground. A lot of students who are on the ground take at least some of their classes online. I'm seeing that even with kids who are living in the dorms on a campus.
I'm not sure that's true at the MBA level. At least, when I've seen it on resumes, people specify. Also, if you are in once city and the school is in another, it's obvious.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I think what AGDee is saying is that when you get the diploma in the mail it doesn't say

Suzy Sunshine
MBA online program

It will say Suzy Sunshine Masters in Business Administration

The diploma and your transcripts don't delineate that you did them online.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 09-11-2013, 06:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Almost all of the major universities that are within commuting distance of me also have online courses and many majors can be completed online with no delineation. They also have satellite campuses now too. The University of Michigan Ross business school has an Executive MBA program where students go one weekend a month, staying in Ann Arbor for that weekend, but doing some of their work online during the other weeks. Out of state people could easily do that if they chose. Most of the classes at my college are offered both online and on the ground and the transcript does not say which way you took the course.

I am curious what types of things you found valuable in your MBA course that could not be done online? (Note: I am not doing an MBA, I'm doing a Masters of Science in Information Assurance at a school that is primarily a business school).
Old 09-11-2013, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Class discussions, networking, presentations, and so on.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

B-school is all about networking, which is why I don't understand how one could get much out of an MBA program that was entirely online. That said, I'm a real school snob and I focus on national/international, and not regional, reputation--because you never know where you'll end up. Also, you'll want the strong alumni network of a top school.

My ex-boss got his MBA from the University of Phoenix but talks like he was at Wharton or HBS. LAME. I think it's unfair that my uncle (full-time MBA from a Top 20), one of my old boyfriends (executive MBA from an Ivy) and that clown can all say they have the same degree.

On the other hand, one of my friends is now getting his Executive MBA from Michigan's LA program--they meet once a month and his cohort is really close. It sounds amazing.

I guess an employer will know its an Executive MBA from the fact that there's no break in your employment for education.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Class discussions, networking, presentations, and so on.
I am going to have to respectfully disagree with DeltaBetaBaby on her assessment of online courses not giving you the same "experience" / "value" as the classroom experience. I am finishing up my masters online which I started in the classroom, so I have experience with both aspects of the learning environment. In both we have had group projects and presentations. The difference is that my online experience has been more true to life than my classroom one. The group projects that I have been required to do have required time management, online collaboration, conference calls and true group effort as opposed to "meeting in the library 2 or 3 times right before the assignment is due and "knocking it out". The presentations that I have had to do for my online classes have required me to utilize powerpoint and online presentation software that I never would have mastered in the classroom, where typically I would just get up and "wing it" for 15 mins. Online I am required to think on my feet and answer questions from people across the country that i have never met, not my classmates that I have seen twice a week for 5 weeks and feel comfortable around. Overall I have gotten more out of my online classes than I ever did out of my classroom classes. I find that I have to be 120% prepared online. I have to be able to answer questions intelligently and comment on other students work intelligently. It has really honed my critical thinking skills in a way that the classroom ever did.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:56 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree with you OldOleMiss. My Master's program (again, not an MBA, but at a business school) has included group projects and presentations every step of the way. I've also networked like crazy making connections all over the country, not just in the Detroit area.

It's been pretty true to the real world experience too. Since starting my most recent job in January, I've yet to be in a meeting where all participants are in the same room. I spend 5-7 hours on WebEx, collaborating with people from all over the world, every single day. My direct supervisor lives in the Toronto area so anything we do together is done over WebEx. She comes to the office one week a month. I work directly with team members in Australia and France.