GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,527
1 members and 1,526 guests
annetaedarky158

Old 06-11-2009, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

How do fraternities decide who gets a bid?

Do they decide as a group with an open discussion, or like an anonymous vote or something. Does it depend on the fraternity/chapter?

I'm curious because what happens if you get to know like 10 guys in the fraternity your rushing pretty well, and like the other 20 you don't bond with or whatever, no negativity or anything just didn't get to know as well. If it's like a vote are they more inclined to vote no or is this discussed in the open?

Just curious, I'm from Canada by the way if that makes any difference.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-11-2009, 08:39 PM

I'd assume that every fraternity does things differently.

Also, depending on the fraternity, selection procedures may be private, meaning that they can't say how decisions are made.

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm pretty sure each fraternity and even their chapters do it differently. Depends on the school. We're actually completely revamping our selection process and how we do Rush for this Fall.

But how's it has generally worked in the past is that a good number of brothers will get to know the rushee. Then someone will tell the VP of Recruitment about that guy if he hasn't met him and the VPR will make it a point that he and the recruitment committee get to know the guy better. If that goes well, the VPR will report back to the chapter and we'll all discuss how we feel about him.

Also, we have summer events and a scholarship so we usually are pretty set on the guys who come out to those events and/or received the scholarship.

Our selection process isn't really private. It just isn't our mission to broadcast to the whole school why Bill Jones did or did not receive a bid.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

We throw a deck of cards in the air and if the majority land face up you get a bid. Are Canadian playing cards different?

KIDDING! It's kind of private, but don't stress about it - be yourself, get to know as many people as you can and be polite at all times so you don't make a bad impression on those you don't know personally. Almost no one is universally liked, and that's ok!
Old 06-11-2009, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
Almost no one is universally liked, and that's ok!
Not always the case. At some schools and with some chapters, one single member can keep you from getting a bid.

It just depends.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 06-12-2009, 03:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
one single member can keep you from getting a bid.
Oh how true that can be.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

My chapter has sorority women vote on who should get a bid and who shouldn't.

And then they circle the fat on the new guys.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCash View Post
My chapter has sorority women vote on who should get a bid and who shouldn't.

And then they circle the fat on the new guys.
That made me literally LOL!
Old 06-12-2009, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Not always the case. At some schools and with some chapters, one single member can keep you from getting a bid.

It just depends.
Oh no, that's definitly true! I really meant it in a more "try your best" kind of way.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Ruckette
I'll just speak for my house, which is small (15 brothers deep at the moment, though we've had up to 36) in saying that, in short, we talk about rushies and have a predetermined percentage of people who have to say yes (and/or can't say no) in order for a bid vote to pass. Each canadate is talked about and voted on seprately. Yes that can mean that one vote (or even one abstention) can dictate someone not getting a bid, but if the numbers are small enough, universal agreement is important. When numbers are big, less people are likely to agree and in this method, don't have to. Note: This is NOT simple majority, though it can be. Most votes are at least two/thirds yes and no more than 10% can say no. Meaning with 15 brothers, only one person can say no or abstain for a rushie to get a bid. These numbers can be different for your house.

If your question is leaning more towards a thought process is when deciding if an individual should get a bid, its fairly simple. Will they be good for the house or, at least, will they harm the house? Does anyone have any serious issues with giving them a bid? If the rushie fits in with a majority of brothers and there are no serious objections, there is no reason they shouldn't get a bid. Remember, a bid does not mean a brother. The pledging process is what that is for.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:31 AM
GreekChat Member

You forgot to add that maybe the brothers didn't get to know the rushee well enough. I'm not going to extend a bid to a guy that only 5 people out of my 70 man chapter got to know fairly well. If I don't have at least 40 men going 100% on a guy, he's gunna have to wait a semester.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Pick names out of a hat. Proven method.

Every chapters different, I wouldnt focus on how they choose who gets a bid. Just do your thing and if its meant to be things will go in your favor.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:07 AM
GreekChat Member

We really don't fool around with the bid vote, it ABSOLUTELY has to be a unanimous vote between the Magic 8-Ball and the Ouija Board or else they don't get in.

It usually is different between chapters.

If they're a chapter that follows some of the suggestions from "Phired Up" (a very popular recruitment method) Then they have what is called a "Values Based Selection Program"

Basically they take the values of their organization and they try to turn some of the subjective qualities of their Fraternal values into objective measurements.

Ex:
Value: Leadership
- Participates in two or more other Student Orgs OR
- Holds Officer Position in at least one other Student Org

Value: Service
- Registered with National Armed Forces AND
- Participated in one other service based organization OR
- Attended chapter sponsored service event

Other than that there are some chapters that do kind of the same thing except more subjective with a scoring card systems where every brother that met a PNM fills out a score-card and turns it in and everyone votes on people based on their scores.

Some chapters are very old school, where they get a picture of a PNM they put him up on a projector and they make a motion to initiate him and it is discussed like any other motion in Robert's Rules of Order

I've seen some chapters that do a percentage vote and I've seen others that require a unanimous vote it really is all over the place

It would be rude to ask the chapter how they make their official decision, but it's never rude to ask what the values of the organization are. If it is something you can find yourself personally believing in, and you like the guys in the chapter then pick that one, and it should work out.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:36 AM
GreekChat Member

LOL! wrong threat
Old 07-19-2009, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletBlueGold View Post
We really don't fool around with the bid vote, it ABSOLUTELY has to be a unanimous vote between the Magic 8-Ball and the Ouija Board or else they don't get in.

It usually is different between chapters.

If they're a chapter that follows some of the suggestions from "Phired Up" (a very popular recruitment method) Then they have what is called a "Values Based Selection Program"

Basically they take the values of their organization and they try to turn some of the subjective qualities of their Fraternal values into objective measurements.

Ex:
Value: Leadership
- Participates in two or more other Student Orgs OR
- Holds Officer Position in at least one other Student Org

Value: Service
- Registered with National Armed Forces AND
- Participated in one other service based organization OR
- Attended chapter sponsored service event

Other than that there are some chapters that do kind of the same thing except more subjective with a scoring card systems where every brother that met a PNM fills out a score-card and turns it in and everyone votes on people based on their scores.

Some chapters are very old school, where they get a picture of a PNM they put him up on a projector and they make a motion to initiate him and it is discussed like any other motion in Robert's Rules of Order

I've seen some chapters that do a percentage vote and I've seen others that require a unanimous vote it really is all over the place

It would be rude to ask the chapter how they make their official decision, but it's never rude to ask what the values of the organization are. If it is something you can find yourself personally believing in, and you like the guys in the chapter then pick that one, and it should work out.
Thank you much for talking about values! This is one of the biggest things we are looking for in potential new members. Values are what makes you, you! Even more is are you a man of honor, integrity along with your willingness to succeed in college, for that is the real reason why we are here anyways. If you know what you are looking for, ask lots questions and you will find the right Fraternity for you.

~KYLE~