GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,128
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, baadamashtolzea
» Online Users: 1,406
1 members and 1,405 guests
Sarak24034
Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation ADVICE TO DIVINE 9 INTERESTED PERSONS

I am NOT greek. I am NOT a greek posing as a non greek to help you. I am an interestee who is attempting to help other interestees be intelligent in their pursuit of Greek life specific to the "Divine Nine". This is my first and only post that I will put on here to help stop the ignorance on here by mis or uninformed interestees... I have a list of things that if you follow will aid you in not sounding stupid on here or at your campus. I have had the great fortune of talking to others who are at the point I now am trying to get to (They are already Greek), and have compiled this list of insightful help aids. Please reccommend this thread to anyone who my be as you Greeks call a "troll", outsider, interestee, wannabe...

1). Before saying anything to anyone at all, visit everyones website first (National Sites). (Even the Sororities). Read everything that they have open for an outsider to visit. It is there for a reason and will definately come up at some point. The web site also will give you a chance to feel each group out. Everything from the color scheme to the links give insight into the group.

2). Look on youtube also. Look at the strolls, step routines, parties, probate shows etc.. Even listen to the backgroud conversations. This is an excellent tool to feel them out on a personal secondary level. You can see them in action.

3). Check facebook accounts on your schools network. Some pages you can view without having to add as friends. You can join groups and some even have pictures to view. This helps you to know see their faces.

4). After all this is done then either in a discreet facebook message or in person at an event, approach one in a respectful manner (try not to do so when they are in a group). Most will have a NPHC week of events you can go to and see them all. There is usually a panel discussion during that time.

5.) Be discreet in all that you do. Don't let your enthusiam be your demise. Don't say you want to join. Say you are interested. Once that is established....Keep everything else to yourself. PERIOD!

6). Everything you say and do is looked at. You may think they are not paying us any attention but they are.

7). Be ready for anything and everything. You don't want to be caught sleeping. That is to say first off have the grades in place already. I learned this the hard way. A 2.49 IS NOT A 2.5 . ITS ONLY A "C" AVERAGE SO MAKE IT HAPPEN. 12 CREDITS IS FULL TIME NOT 9, 10, OR 11. STOP WORRYING ABOUT MONEY, IF ITS IS MEANT IT WILL COME TOGETHER AND YOU WILL HAVE THE MEANS SERIOUSLY. DON'T NAME DROP IF YOU ARE NOT REALLY COOL WITH THAT PERSON. DON'T ADMIT TO A RELATIVE BEING A MEMBER WHO IS INACTIVE. DON'T SAY IT IF YOU DON'T KNOW IT.

8). MOST IMPORTANTLY...DON'T LIE. THEY WILL FIND OUT. IF YOU WERE INTERESTED IN SOMETHING ELSE AT FIRST BE TRUTHFUL BE HONEST AND BE YOURSELF. THEY WERE WHERE WE ARE TRYING TO GET TO SO YOU ARE NOT UNIQUE TO WHATEVER YOUR REASON FOR WANTING TO JOIN.

SiNcErElyRETRO May we meet on teh other side
Old 10-10-2008, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I wouldn't send an NPHC member a facebook message to express interest.

My advice is to be a FRIEND first and the rest will fall into place.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I say message first because requesting as friend is very assuming. Plus unless your friends list is set to private others can see your intentions. I asked within the message if it was ok to exchange numbers first then if it was ok to request as a friend. Sorry for not clarifying but it was long enough already. I see the logic in friends too but I didn't get luck with that until my face was known or they at least knew my intent. (Usually a guy requesting another guy he doesn't know as a friend seems suspect) No offense at all. Thank you by the way.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't think he meany fb friend.... he meant like ACTUAL friend.

Like, where you talk, and hang out, and do stuff together.

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Old 10-10-2008, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

My bad. Thanks for the clarification...
Old 10-10-2008, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

no prob! Good luck.

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Old 10-11-2008, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
STOP WORRYING ABOUT MONEY, IF ITS IS MEANT IT WILL COME TOGETHER AND YOU WILL HAVE THE MEANS SERIOUSLY.
I agree with 99% of what you said, except for that part. You should not commit yourself to an organization (NIC, NPC, or NPHC) if you cannot fulfill the financial obligations.

"There is a destiny that makes us brothers, No one goes his way alone;
All that we send into the lives of others, Comes back into our own."
~ Edwin Markham
Old 10-12-2008, 12:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECUJacob View Post
I agree with 99% of what you said, except for that part. You should not commit yourself to an organization (NIC, NPC, or NPHC) if you cannot fulfill the financial obligations.
I think this person's advice is for aspirants. It sounds like he's saying "if it's meant to be, the money will come up eventually" and not "become a member but stop paying afterwards."

Old 10-12-2008, 01:27 AM
GreekChat Member

But you shouldn't try to be a member if you don't understand that it is a lifetime commitment and initiation dues are not enough.

I Stay Woke!!
Old 10-12-2008, 02:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Maybe I missed it, but where do you get the authority to give advice?
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 10-12-2008, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I think this person's advice is for aspirants. It sounds like he's saying "if it's meant to be, the money will come up eventually" and not "become a member but stop paying afterwards."
I wasn't insinuating that all. On the contrary, anyone wishing to join a GLO should be upfront about their financial situation. Every group requires dues and incindentals in order to be a member. It's foolish and irresponsible for anyone to advise a rushee/potential new member/etc. that the necessary money will just show up out of thin air if it's meant to be.

"There is a destiny that makes us brothers, No one goes his way alone;
All that we send into the lives of others, Comes back into our own."
~ Edwin Markham
Old 10-12-2008, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

The money won't necessarily show up "out of thin air," but if this is something an aspirant really wants, s/he will make it happen. When it's time, the money should be there.

I see what you're saying though.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOEforme View Post
I don't think he meany fb friend.... he meant like ACTUAL friend.

Like, where you talk, and hang out, and do stuff together.
Yeah, that's exactly what I meant, thanks!
Old 10-13-2008, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

What I am saying is that if the first few steps are seriously followed an aspirant will find out that there is a financial obligation before during and after like any other worth while not for profit organization. I have looked at 'ALL' of the Divine 9 sites and the information is there. .SERIOUSLY IT IS. Whatever is open to the public was put there for that reason so US INTERESTED PERSONS can know it. There is even price amounts, interested persons forms, bylaws, etc. I stress again THOROUGHLY SEARCH THE SITE BECAUSE IT IS THERE AND WAS PLACED THERE FOR US. The point is for one to seriously look as if they are serious. As far as the money I was just saying that worrying about it won't materialize it. 'If' you are serious about your decision you will get the money. We get it for all types of frivolous things so when it is important we can do the same. Thats all I am saying. Sometimes fear makes us over analyse things, as interestees and it's ok I think. I dont feel anyone on here means disrespect and I certainly do not mean to imply that even doing these things will guarantee because nothing is guaranteed, but we can at least do our part to make us as desirable as possible without becomming something that we aren't. These are all tips for aspirants. Please keep posting.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

To be honest, while not being an expert, Retro has a point.

Closed Thread