GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,297
1 members and 2,296 guests
No Members online

Old 08-29-2005, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

New Rushee at East Carolina

Hi all! I've been reading the threads on the Rush board pretty diligently lately, trying to glean any bit of information that could help me throughout my recruitment process.

I have some concerns because I don't know anyone intimately who was/is a part of a sorority. I came into the game kind of late also and didn't even know about recs and such. Nothing was in our recruitment booklet about letters of recommendation, so I hadn't heard of them until I came to GC.

I'm a transfer student (transferred in as a sophomore though I attended 3 other schools). I've read a lot about chapters cutting sophomores and upperclassmen. ECU will be my home for the next 3 years, and one of the most significant reasons why I'm thinking Greek is for the unity, sisterhood, spirit of community, and opportunities with many different philanthropy projects it provides. I have good reasons for attending and leaving all the schools I did, but I'm so worried with how it looks to sororities.

Does anyone know how competitive recruitment is at ECU? Have I shot myself in the foot with all my mistakes before even starting recruitment?

Also, I have an awesome GPA (4.0). Is it okay to mention this if during a chat with a member they mention classes or extra-curricular activities (I’ve been tutoring now for a few years), or does it seem arrogant and stuck-up?

I'm going into recruitment with an open mind though. I really want to learn as much as I can about the distinct sororities on campus and Greek life. If at the end, I don't get a bid, I'll try to remember that there is a reason for it.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-29-2005, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

You sound wonderful and positive to me.

I don't know how competition is there but at my school, I wouldn't consider being a sophomore a negative thing at all!

Any chapter should love to have a transfer with a 4.0!

Promote yourself!!! That's how the members will know about you to distinquish you from others. "That was the pnm who tutored..maybe she can help us! "

Have fun!
Old 08-30-2005, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

most sororities are very interested to learn that you do volunteer work thru tutoring. if there is a gracefull way to transition from tutoring to your gpa, go for it good luck to you, and please keep us posted.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ecugamma
PirateGal-

This may be a little late, but I am a newly graduated sorority member from ECU. First of all, relax. You sound like an excellent member candidate, and any sorority would be lucky to have you. I do understand your question about being a sophomore, as I heard many incoming freshmen saying the same thing at Summer Orientation. I am not sure where this information comes from, but all female college students are welcome to the recruiting process, regardless of their yearly status.

Honestly, being Greek at ECU is just about finding your "best fit." If you want a larger, more traditional house, I would suggest looking at NPC sororities (their recruitment is very early into or before the semester starts).

If you would like a highly selective, African-American based sorority, look at NPHC sororities (they like it if you are in your last two years of college).

If you want a sorority that was based on community service, try Gamma Sigma Sigma. They are a large chapter, but very sweet girls.

And last, if you want a smaller, more personalized sorority experience that focuses equally on social and service aspects, you should look at my sorority, Gamma Chi Epsilon. Obviously, I think this one is the best!

Above all, don't worry to much. Look around, be yourself and you will know when the right one comes around.

Hope this helped!
Old 08-30-2005, 08:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
WOO HOO! This one is from my old school!
(I stayed in Clement Hall while I was there)
Old 08-30-2005, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Good Luck! Hope you find your home.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks everyone for their advice so far. I have very little support from my friends and family, so it helps to know that there are a few people out there hoping I find the sisterhood that's right for me.
Old 09-18-2005, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to KDAngel Send a message via AIM to KDAngel
I'm just seeing this thread for the first time, but Bid Day was last night-- how'd things turn out??
Alpha Rho Chapter at the University of Maryland, PR Adviser: www.umdkappadelta.org
*COUNTRY FIRST* Conservative. Republican. Proud.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm a little embarrassed to come back and say that I dropped out. I had a blast on Philanthropy Day. I had so much fun learning about all of the different sororities that I didn't know much about. I met a lot of nice women, and I really connected with a couple of houses and felt at ease there. The conversations I had were informative and interesting, and I just had so much fun taking it all in. I went straight to my dorm and made a list of those sororities I was most interested in and felt most comfortable around.

Then at terminals that night I found out I had been cut from all but one sorority (Kappa Delta). Even though it was a sorority I was interested in, I was just so devastated. I felt like my recruitment experience would be stunted because I wouldn't get to go to the other houses again and learn more about them and see which house was truly the right fit for me. I was really worried that I would rush Kappa Delta just because I really wanted the sorority experience, but I didn't think that was fair to KD if I was wondering what it would have been like had I not gotten cut from the other houses. I also didn't want to go through an emotional wringer trying to please KD only to be cut later the following weekend.

At this point, I'm not sure what to do. I think I'm going to call the Greek Office next week. I'm not sure if I can go through spring recruitment (some people have said yes, others have said I'd have to wait a year). I'm still really sad about it. I wanted this to work out (especially after having met all of those sweet women). I'm trying hard not to play the "why?" game too much. I can't understand why I got cut from nearly every house unless it had something to do with me being a sophomore. I wish I did know though so I could do my best to try to fix the situation and try again. But...I'm just bummed in general. It was tough to see the rest of my Pi Chi group around campus and the girls waiting at terminals.

Thanks for asking though!
Old 09-18-2005, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PirateGal
At this point, I'm not sure what to do. I think I'm going to call the Greek Office next week. I'm not sure if I can go through spring recruitment (some people have said yes, others have said I'd have to wait a year).
If you did not sign a bid card you can go through spring recruitment.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey Pirategal, I went through almost the same thing. Hang in there though, and do try for spring recruitment. The only reason you would have to wait a year is if you signed a bid card. But since you didn't, you should be able to go through spring.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nauadpi Send a message via Yahoo to nauadpi
I agree with the others that as long as you have not signed a preference card, you will be eligible for Spring Recruitment... I would also suggest checking and seeing if any of the sororities hold open recruitment events during the fall outside of Formal Recruitment... If they do, I would suggest checking those out as well...
Old 09-19-2005, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

you can participate in spring recruitment or any cor events that may happen in the next few weeks-that is if any of the sororities did not make quota or are not at total. please do go by the greek life office and make sure you are on the list

and please don't be embarrassed. you did what you felt was the right thing for you to do at the time. gooood luck!!
Old 09-19-2005, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks so much you all. You have been a tremendous support.