GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,307
3 members and 1,304 guests
indygphib, Sarak24034, UofISigKap

Old 09-09-2011, 10:50 AM

Initiation Clothing

Disclaimer: I am not asking anyone to tell their organization's secrets. The answer to my question is one that could be answered by a non-initiated member.

When your organization told you to show up for initiation, what were you told to wear? What made me think of this question is a post AUAZD2001 made in the Polyvore Meets Panhellenic thread where she showed a (really snazzy) sample initiation outfit complete with accessories and makeup. My first thought was, "Other people are allowed to wear makeup for initiation???"

We were told to wear all white. This included the soles of our shoes and any stitching or buttons! No level of formality was stipulated; dress, skirt, pants, whatever...just so it was all white. Our faces were to be free of makeup and no jewelry was allowed except for engagement rings and wedding rings.

Anyone else?
Old 09-09-2011, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

We were told white, dress or skirt- no pants. Jewelry should be limited to simple earrings if you must, and no makeup or nailpolish. Embellishments, embroidery, buttons and... everything had to be stark white as well. We were not as strict with shoes, though. We were told white, and if they were flat sandals, a wood/leather sole was acceptable as long as it was a neutral color.

I think we tried to be relaxed because we also initiate people in seasons where procuring stark whites is near impossible, and sometimes we don't give them a whole lot of warning for when they need to have them by :-/
Old 09-09-2011, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
We generally didn't bother with shoes, until a CC happened to be there for initiation, found out, and freaked out about it. Then everyone went to payless and bought crappy pairs of shoes, and it was, in my opinion, much worse than just going barefoot.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmagnolia View Post
I think we tried to be relaxed because we also initiate people in seasons where procuring stark whites is near impossible, and sometimes we don't give them a whole lot of warning for when they need to have them by :-/
I think we're a tad bit lenient for this reason as well.

We were told to wear white and nice white shoes; no flip flops allowed, they had to be dressy. I think almost everyone wore a dress or skirt, although you could wear pants or capris. There was a girl who always showed up in a cream colored dress and it annoyed the crap out of me (I can be a tad bit anal, lol) I guess they let it slide though?

We were allowed to wear make up and jewelery, but if I remember correctly, we were told to keep it toned down and natural.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

no makeup or jewelry(except for our badge), pure white dress(not off white, cream, ecru, etc.), white shoes, white underwear. any embellishment on the dress had to be white. had to be a dress or a skirt and blouse.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 09-10-2011 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Again, us locals do things a bit different.

As a pledge, we were just told to dress "as befits the occasion", which we all kind of interpreted as dress clothes. I wore a pair of (ugly and probably ill fitting) trousers and a button down shirt. Looking back on it I wish I would have dressed up.

As an active, it was dressing in our colors. I always had a dress/shirt combo but found a perfect dress in the last few months of my senior year that I wore to my alumni initiation.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:11 PM

When I was initiated into my local, our initiation was a surprise. We were called to a meeting where we were told that our initiation would be taking place that night. We were to wear "all white (or as close as possible)", and told to go to our dorms and change and meet at X location at Y time. Nothing was said about makeup and jewelry, but it went without saying that we had to wear our pledge rings.

When I was initiated into AEPhi, we were told to wear white. A dress, a skirt and blouse, or pants and a blouse were all acceptable. Shoes had to be white. Makeup and jewelry were acceptable as long as it wasn't over the top.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:34 PM

We were told all white but pants were OK, until my senior year I think. I don't think any of us would have even thought of wearing open toed shoes, or going w/out pantyhose if we were in a skirt, since most of the time the weather we were wearing the whites in was rainy or snowy and we had to walk to where initiation was being held (i.e. in a classroom). Makeup and jewelry were fine, I can't remember anyone ever saying anything about someone wearing too much makeup. Then again we would't have been the chapter on campus w/ that problem. LOL
Old 09-09-2011, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

Learn something new every day! We are provided with our ritual apparel by our chapter. Everything is taken care of "in house".
Old 09-09-2011, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

We were told "all white" and attire that would be "badge appropriate" (which we had already covered in our pledge training) and that the "all white included shoes and underwear" and to bring a pair of white socks. No jewelry or makeup.

These days I have a "ritual" section in my closet that has a white dress, white skirt, two white tops (one short sleeved, one long sleeved), and a white cardigan. That stuff is only for ritual stuff. I actually do not own white shoes other than a pair of sandals so I'm usually quick to slip my shoes off and wear socks. ;-)
Old 09-09-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
Learn something new every day! We are provided with our ritual apparel by our chapter. Everything is taken care of "in house".
I wish all groups would do this. It would be a heck of a lot easier.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I wish all groups would do this. It would be a heck of a lot easier.
Probably - but you have to arrive more than 2 hours before!
Old 09-09-2011, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I participated in an installation and we were told to wear white. This was very different than what we wore back in my collegiate days, probably similar to what honeychile is describing. I must say I don't know if policy changed, the fact that my chapter is very old (100 years old next year!) and we wore original initiation garb, or if installations are different than regular initiations. Besides, our initiations were done in the middle of the night with about 82 things that are now considered hazing, so I know at least part of it has changed.

Too bad we can't share stories - I've got one or two funny ones!
Old 09-09-2011, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
We are also provided with everything we need, though color of undergarments is suggested.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

In coaching the new members now, we tell them no jewelry that makes too much noise or could be otherwise distracting. The notion of noisy jewelry always makes me giggle.

Be a Volunteer!