GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,421
3 members and 1,418 guests
aangelasuasd942, naraht

Old 03-23-2010, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Can Panhel set a minimum GPA for individuals?

I know Panhellenic can set a minimum chapter GPA but can they impose individual GPA requirements?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-23-2010, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllyWoods View Post
I know Panhellenic can set a minimum chapter GPA but can they impose individual GPA requirements?
Can you explain this more?

Old 03-23-2010, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

My chapter has a cumulative GPA standard that I far exceed, however my previous semester GPA was unusually low and Panhellenic imposes library study hours on members who have GPAs below a certain level. Even though my chapter considers me to be a member in good standing Panhellenic has placed me on academic probation. Can they do this?
Old 03-23-2010, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllyWoods View Post
My chapter has a cumulative GPA standard that I far exceed, however my previous semester GPA was unusually low and Panhellenic imposes library study hours on members who have GPAs below a certain level. Even though my chapter considers me to be a member in good standing Panhellenic has placed me on academic probation. Can they do this?
If it is applied equally to every member of every group, and the member sororities voted for this (as they make up Panhellenic), yes! If you find it problematic discuss it with your Panhellenic representative to get the details, and move on up from there.

I honestly don't have a problem with scholarship measures, because we're in college to learn, and stuff.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
If it is applied equally to every member of every group, and the member sororities voted for this (as they make up Panhellenic), yes!
Bolded because this is the important part.

If this rule was imposed by the school administration or the Greek advisor with no input or vote from Panhellenic, contact your national office and/or NPC's national office immediately. Such rules are "back door" ways of reducing Greek membership and weakening the organizations so they die out (to the delight of the anti-Greek administration).

If this IS a rule that the school's Panhel put in place, all the school's chapters and Panhel need to get on the same page as to whether it will be semesterly grades or a cume that is the determining factor.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Kind of a hi-jack

What exactly could Panhellenic do to an individual? I can understand if a chapter was not meeting standards (placing the chapter on probation), but what could they do to an individual?

Old 03-23-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Kind of a hi-jack

What exactly could Panhellenic do to an individual? I can understand if a chapter was not meeting standards (placing the chapter on probation), but what could they do to an individual?
She said that they make them go to study hours. I'm assuming if the individuals do not go along with the probation (i.e. blow off study hours) a chapter probation follows.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
She said that they make them go to study hours. I'm assuming if the individuals do not go along with the probation (i.e. blow off study hours) a chapter probation follows.
That's silly.

What if one member decides she doesn't want to go along with everything? Would the entire chapter be reprimanded? Would said member be reported to I/HQ (even though she's meeting the org's standards)?

Just thinking out loud, but this seems odd to me.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Bolded because this is the important part.

If this rule was imposed by the school administration or the Greek advisor with no input or vote from Panhellenic, contact your national office and/or NPC's national office immediately. Such rules are "back door" ways of reducing Greek membership and weakening the organizations so they die out (to the delight of the anti-Greek administration).

If this IS a rule that the school's Panhel put in place, all the school's chapters and Panhel need to get on the same page as to whether it will be semesterly grades or a cume that is the determining factor.
Off topic but that happened to us last recruitment. All of a sudden panhellenic told us we couldn't wear any of our shirts during the week unless we were in the rooms. Such an issue.

As far as the grades go, I agree with 33girl. Although part of the NPC agreements is that we are soverign, if all panhellenic members vote on it its oaky.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Jenny—it's possible your Panhellenic considered wearing the recruitment shirts outside the rooms a violation of silence rules. I know when I was in school we couldn't wear the shirts outside the house until recruitment ended, as PNMs might feel "pressured," if they saw a group of people in the shirts, even though we couldn't talk to them.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
If it is applied equally to every member of every group, and the member sororities voted for this (as they make up Panhellenic), yes! If you find it problematic discuss it with your Panhellenic representative to get the details, and move on up from there.

I honestly don't have a problem with scholarship measures, because we're in college to learn, and stuff.
Hee hee

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 03-24-2010, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabella View Post
Jenny—it's possible your Panhellenic considered wearing the recruitment shirts outside the rooms a violation of silence rules. I know when I was in school we couldn't wear the shirts outside the house until recruitment ended, as PNMs might feel "pressured," if they saw a group of people in the shirts, even though we couldn't talk to them.
I could see how thats what it was thought. It was the fact that it was never VOTED on was my biggest issue. All of a sudden it was "no letters".
Old 03-24-2010, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Hee hee
I'd like to thank Derek Zoolander for the opportunity to learn to do stuff good.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'd like to thank Derek Zoolander for the opportunity to learn to do stuff good.
I am often inspired myself by the statue of the models frolicking beneath the gasoline pumps!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!