GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,044
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, NikiMussen
» Online Users: 1,712
1 members and 1,711 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 08-20-2004, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lsutigah

MARDI GRAS- So we walk into this house that was so disgusting that I wanted to go bathe right then and there. There were only two guys in the house, so I was a little freaked out. They gave us a small speech and proceeded to pour a beer on the floor, showing us what partiers they are or something. I dunno. They took us to the backyard where they had BBQ and a slip and slide. I didn't eat anything b/c I didn't trust the food. The actives were doing the slip and slide in shorts and sportcoats, it was very strange. The sad thing is that they are a good fraternity nationally, but they suuuuuck at LSU. No thanks.

Seriously?? Oh my.......

Anyway, we're eager to hear how it's going! We hope you post soon...or else some of the people here might hunt you down!

Happy Birthday!!!

.....Kelly

True and Constant
Old 08-20-2004, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

well first off...happy birthday.
secondly, what's up???
so far your tales are wonderful. keep them up.
keep your eyes open and have fun.
and let's see where it ends.
good luck
Old 08-20-2004, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

umm, so you really can't have cake and ice cream....what's the good news???? be nice to us old folks...our hearts can't take all of this suspense.
Old 08-21-2004, 01:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lsutigah
I'm back from rush...it's been a really long night. I'm sorry about that previous post, I dont know what happened to all the other stuff I had written. Anyway, I promise I write a nice long post tomorrow. Goodnight.

LSUTIGAH
Old 08-21-2004, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I am so drained. Emotionally, physically, mentally...you name it, and I'm drained from it.

I'll start off with the good and bad news from yesterday's selection.

THE BAD NEWS:

Of the 15 fraternities on campus, I was asked back to 10 of them. The ones that I was cut from are: CRAWFISH, JAMBALAYA, BURBON STREET, PLANTATION, and most unfortunately ATCHAFALAYA.

I was really kinda surprised when PLANTATION cut me due to the fact that I had done things with them all summer and that I am a legacy there...but things happen I guess. I definately was interested in keeping them around, but they have their reasons.
As far as getting cut from ATCHAFALAYA...well, I was pretty bummed. I had kinda had my heart set on going them since the summer, but for whatever reason they didn't feel the same way. I'm not too sure what I did wrong? Oh well... you win some you lose some.

After we got our bids yesterday at 2...I just got really queasy and miserable. Not the way you want to feel on your birthday. I went to lunch with my mom and little sister who came in, but I didn't eat hardly any of it. I came home and took a long nap before I had to go back lastnight at 7.

THE GOOD NEWS:

Well, I was asked back to 10 of them! From there, we could make a decision to go back to a maximum of 6 houses. Unfortunately, I didn't feel strongly enough about six of them, so I only chose 4. I didn't think it was right or fair to waste my time or theirs when I knew that there would be no way I would ever choose them.
The ones I chose were: MIKE THE TIGER, DEATH VALLEY, MAGNOLIA, and LIVE OAK.

...fast forward a few hours to last night....

We went to the union at 7 to pick up our schedules only to find out that we had to wait until 8 to go visit the houses.

LIVE OAK was the first house I visited. You know, I'm still not too sure why I went to their house, but I did. Don't get my wrong, they're really nice guys...but I knew right off that they aren't for me. Their biggest selling point is their famous alumni...and in all reality, who really gives a shit? They are a small chapter nationally...and well, no thanks.

I had a break in between, so I went to my car and just vegged for a while to clear my head a bit.

Secondly, I went to DEATH VALLEY. I really like this house, all of the guys are really cool. One great thing about this fraternity is that they are very good nationally, and their local alumni support is really awesome. I know that they will have a big pledge class, and I personally like to be in large groups. The sororities on campus are all fond of them, which is a great plus as well. I met alot of the actives, and their house is awesome. I can see myself there in one way, but I can't at the same time. I don't know...it's weird. Also, they don't have any guys from my hometown in there...which is good and bad. I'd like to see them again and see how things go.

I went to MAGNOLIA after that. MAGNOLIA had a ton of cool guys, and I'm pretty comfortable there. This fraternity is pretty diverse but not too diverse, which is something I like. All of the guys are athletic which is cool and I think I would fit in alright. They gave me a verbal bid last night, so I was pretty pumped about that. If they in fact do ask me back, I'll be there tonight.

Finally I went to MIKE THE TIGER. I really, really like this fraternity...but to be totally honest with you, I don't think that I will be invited back. I know that a few of the guys in that house aren't too incredibly fond of me (disagreements from highschool and whatnot), but they are a great great house. I hope to see them tonight.

Ok well, I've got to go back to the union to see who kept and cut me from last night. Wish me luck.

LSUTIGAH
Old 08-21-2004, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

we do wish you the best of luck

lsutigah!! i hope that you are feeling well now, and that you are going back to your top choices!! lisa
Old 08-21-2004, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

things didn't go as well as planned. I went back to get my list, and the fraternities that I had my heart set on weren't on there. I decided that it wasn't worth my time or theirs for me to be in their chapter, so I withdrew from rush. It sucks pretty bad right now, but all things happen for a reason.

Sorry it had to end on a bad note, but I guess that's just life.
Old 08-21-2004, 03:40 PM

Oh wow hon, I'm really sorry.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-21-2004, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

lsutigah,
I'm so sorry to hear how things turned out. Hopefully, you will have a possibility to rush your favorites in spring (I don't know how it works at LSU, but we have fall and spring fraternity rush) but either way, I hope that you find your home at LSU, greek or not. I can only imagine how you feel right now!

Good Luck and sending you lots of positive thoughts!
Old 08-21-2004, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Sorry to hear that things didn't turn out good

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 08-21-2004, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

Sorry guy.

Building on what TriDeltaGal said, are you allowed to continue to rush this semester? (I'm only slightly familiar with formal fraternity rush and it seems to be different for every campus.)

In other words, do LSU fraternities *only* extend bids during formal rush or are they allowed to continue to do so right after formal? And do y'all have quota?

The only two IFC systems that I am familiar with that do have some sort of quota system for fraternities are Arkansas and Oklahoma. Other systems that have sort of more formal and or structured rush allow chapters to continue to bid after formal rush is completed. If the chapters want to, that is.

In any case, hang in there.
Old 08-21-2004, 07:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Aww...that's such a shame. You must be feeling so disappointed right now.

<hug>

Maybe there is still a chance to rush some houses on an informal basis later on this semester or the next?

.....Kelly

True and Constant
Old 08-21-2004, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

sorry things didn't go so well. see how things go the rest of the semester and check out the possibilty of getting a bid after formal rush. thanks for sharing your story tho!
Old 08-21-2004, 10:53 PM
peanutttu

sorry to hear that! as everyone else has said, see how the rest of the semester plays out....
Old 08-21-2004, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

bless your heart...{{hugs}}
you are a valuable individual....
just relax and see how things play out.
it's sad when it isn't perfect. but who knows the endgame.
keep smiling