GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,044
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, NikiMussen
» Online Users: 1,534
0 members and 1,534 guests
No Members online

Old 07-22-2004, 04:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RedFox
Need some advice

Hey everyone...I need some advice. I am helping out with rush this year at one of the smaller fraternities on campus. I am very close with all of the guys and even though its a small chapter and have great guys...they definitely need some guidance and advice when it comes to rush. Their house is decent, but compared to the bigger houses and bigger fraternities, it will make it hard to get the "blue chip" guys. Another thing is this is an all jewish fraternity (Alpha Epsilon Pi) and they still want to keep it that way. There are about 600 guys going through rush and only 17 of them are jewish...its not many but it's a good number, there were 13 jewish rushees last year...last year they got 4 guys that are absolutely awesome but this year I'd like to see more. I'm thinking of some ideas they could have and do for rush that people would be interested in checking out.. I'm definitely going to take BetaRulz and Firehouse's advice on recruitment in general (it was awesome advice!) But I need some help...I'm going to try to get more of my girlfriends to help out with it as well, but I need a boost...anyone? anyone? They know that i'm loyal to their fraternity...its funny that I just spent a good 45 minutes talking to one of the brothers about rush tonight and how much they would appriciate me helping. I was asked to help other fraternities as well, so advice on how to show how great these guys are and how fun this brotherhood is will take some work and I want to start now. Thanks guys...

Love and Roses ~Pam
Old 07-22-2004, 07:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Need some advice

Another thing is this is an all jewish fraternity (Alpha Epsilon Pi) and they still want to keep it that way.

I understand that some GLO's have been founded as "traditionally Jewish" but I didn't think that this was acceptable to keep it this way. I have heard of organizations getting into trouble for this kind of thing. Maybe that's the problem. We had AEPhi on my campus and while there were many Jewish girls who were part of the org, they were not totally exclusive to ONLY Jewish girls. Especially in today's multicultural society I think this is not a good way of thinking.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
Re: Re: Need some advice

Quote:
Originally posted by winneythepooh7
Another thing is this is an all jewish fraternity (Alpha Epsilon Pi) and they still want to keep it that way.

I understand that some GLO's have been founded as "traditionally Jewish" but I didn't think that this was acceptable to keep it this way. I have heard of organizations getting into trouble for this kind of thing. Maybe that's the problem. We had AEPhi on my campus and while there were many Jewish girls who were part of the org, they were not totally exclusive to ONLY Jewish girls. Especially in today's multicultural society I think this is not a good way of thinking.
I completely agree. It's one thing for the fraternity to keeps its jewish heritage and traditions, but it's another thing to say they only want men who are jewish. I mean, by stating this to rushees, they may be detering good potential members who may not be jewish, but they really respect the jewish religion and culture or may have many jewish friends who feel that if they can't accept their non-jewish friend, they don't want to be apart of the group. Just beware that by making the pool smaller, they may be more disapointed in the end.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
I think these guys are dishonoring their founders if they only try to pledge Jewish men. AEPi and many other historically Jewish groups were founded to counter the prejudicial membership practices of other groups. By only accepting Jewish members, they become the type of organization that their founders despised.

They are missing out on some great guys - they need to speak to other AEPi chapters and national officers on how to maintain a Jewish identity while pledging non-Jewish members.

The AEPi chapter here at FSU is very diverse - members are from many religions and ethnic backgrounds and the chapter is very active in campus Jewish activities.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

I also think it goes back to where PNM's feel the most comfortable. Along similar lines, I went to a grad school that was founded under Jewish auspices (Yeshiva University) and I am not Jewish. While many of my classmates were Jewish, many were not and I chose this school because of its excellent reputation in the Social Work community, small classes and diversity. Overall I felt the most comfortable in this school compared to schools such as NYU, Fordham and Hunter where I felt I was more of just a "number". Also it was an opportunity for me to learn about another culture I really knew nothing about going to this school.

We didn't have an AEPi on my campus but I know many sisters of AEPhi who were not Jewish who love their organization. I think AEPhi is a great organization and I love the fact that one of their philanthropies is for a burn center in Israel. Also, I knew many girls in undergrad who chose to pledge some of the traditionally Latino and multicultural organzations or organzations once seen as all "black" because they were friends with the girls and felt most comfortable there. I don't know if it is true or not and I would hate to think that it is but I had heard rumors that even some chapters of my organization had gotten in trouble awhile back for trying to recruit only Jewish members. I think this is totally bad.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Before everyone gets out of hand on this topic of being all Jewish, if you read the mission statement of Alpha Epsilon Pi, http://www.alphaepsilonpi.org/information/index.html, that's what they are...the Jewish fraternity of North America. That being said, I'm pasting the last paragraph here, which I think will help others see what AEPi's NATIONAL stance is on this...

"Therefore, our basic purpose is to provide the opportunity for a Jewish man to be able to join a Jewish organization whose purpose is not specifically religious, but rather social and cultural in nature. Alpha Epsilon Pi is a Jewish fraternity, though non-discriminatory and open to all who are willing to espouse its purpose and values."

I think it's fair.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for clarifying Heather. I also think, and this is just me, that it is 2004 now and many orgs were founded many years ago. I think that orgs purposes should be rewritten in many instances to include everyone.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:00 AM

An interesting article, written on AEPi, is here...I encourage those who are against the "Jewish fraternity" concept to read it, as it is very informative.

http://www.jewsweek.com/bin/en.jsp?e...ispWho=Article^l858&enZone=Articles&enVersion=0&
Old 07-22-2004, 10:52 AM
GreekChat Member

I see nothing wrong with having sororities and fraternities that have mostly jewish members. I also went to a school where AEPhi and AEPi were majority jewish organizations. Even though I'm not jewish, I was very much considering joining AEPhi and they were very welcoming to me, up until pref night.

If you think of it this way, every house has certain interests and they usually pull brother/sisters that enjoy the same things. It boils down to the basics . . .join a house that you feel comfortable in.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
Quote:
Originally posted by Schmeer
I see nothing wrong with having sororities and fraternities that have mostly jewish members. I also went to a school where AEPhi and AEPi were majority jewish organizations. Even though I'm not jewish, I was very much considering joining AEPhi and they were very welcoming to me, up until pref night.

If you think of it this way, every house has certain interests and they usually pull brother/sisters that enjoy the same things. It boils down to the basics . . .join a house that you feel comfortable in.
I understand your point. But what if a non-jewish guy felt really comfortable in this house and then they turned around and said "we can't give you a bid because you aren't jewish". I think by doing that, the stereotype of fraternities and sororities being so exclusive is just promoted.

And before this thread gets out of hand, which it has the potential of doing, I think that maybe the best advice for this fraternity is to have them contact their nationals and discuss it with them. Most nationals have plans in place to help recruit new members. And if they don't want to go to nationals and explain that they only want jewish members, then thats a problem that should be resolved internally.

And I have a question, during formal IFC recruitment, I thought women weren't allowed to help with the recruitment process. Specifically, they aren't sapossed to be at the house (or place) where rush was taking place to serve as hostesses' or act as representatives of the fraternity? Is this an IFC thing or just on my campus?
Old 07-22-2004, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally posted by maggieaxid
And I have a question, during formal IFC recruitment, I thought women weren't allowed to help with the recruitment process. Specifically, they aren't sapossed to be at the house (or place) where rush was taking place to serve as hostesses' or act as representatives of the fraternity? Is this an IFC thing or just on my campus?
I think that it varies. When I helped my husband's chapter, there could be only one hostess in the room.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:25 PM

If a guy feels really comfortable at a house, chances are it's because the brothers have made him feel as such, and therefore, wouldn't say "you can't join b/c you're not Jewish". The point of this is that there are groups who want to be predominately Jewish and if it works for them, let it go.

FYI, I'm not Jewish, nor do I come from a Jewish sorority (at least not in my eyes). I just think that a group's ideals are what they are founded on, and we should all respect that.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I am glad that everyone is seeing this from so many different perspectives. It is not an easy situation at all and I am sure it creates many different feelings for the AEPi's directly involved. Good luck to you on your recruitment. I am so avoiding going back to work right now if you all can't tell LOL.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Pam,

While everyone discusses their opinion of whether AEPi should or should not accept non-Jewish members, here is my response to your original question.

For anyone still reading, Pam wanted to know how to target the 17 men that AEPi would like to meet during recruitment.

As a marketing professional, here's my advice:
Plan an event for these 17 men. Give them fair notice, and invite them through a formal invitation. Have an RSVP follow-up, and make sure that a member of the fraternity calls them before the event to confirm they will be coming.

You might even send a letter home to these 17 men's parents, as you send the invitation to the men. This will get the parents on your side. You can explain the purpose of AEPi and its function for Jewish male students. This will impress the parents and they will share their feelings with their sons.

At the party for the men, have the president give a welcome address and a few chapter members give a brief presentation of what AEPi is. A few members can even give testimonials on why they chose to join. Have some light refreshments. Make sure any awards AEPi has won are on display. Make sure that every guest is being attended to and meeting brothers.

After the party-- have the brothers follow up by calling the 17 men individually to say hello, thank them for attending and invite them to a casual get-together (IE: like a barbeque and pick-up football game at someone's house). Etc.

From your mailing campaign, follow-up phone calls and presentation of AEPi, you will be able to target these 17 men and show them everything about AEPi.

Good luck. Remember that as a hostess, your ideas and involvement are sure to be appreciated by the brothers, but remember to let them do their job how they feel is best. Enjoy yourself!
Old 07-22-2004, 03:19 PM

You're back!!!!!!

sorry...slight hijack