GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,533
0 members and 1,533 guests
No Members online

Old 06-25-2004, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay, long time no post...

BBQ was last night, and it was a pretty big day.

Wednesday, this kid who is an absolute stud from Kansas told us he was 99% sure he was going to sign with us. He is in the JD Edwards honors program for computer science and business - very hard to get into b/c it comes with an automatic full scholarship, and free computers and all sorts of other perks, but this kid is apparently a really good athlete too (typically there are a lot of nerds in this program). And one of the girls who is a great friend of Beta did interviews for the kids trying to get into this program was falling head over heals for how hot this kid apparently is. Certainly doesn't hurt if the ladies like him.

This kid is important, b/c we're going for 2 other guys in this honors program, and the rush chairs think that him signing will likely cause another kid to sign, and the two of them will cause another kid to sign as well, which means one of his friends will sign. So we've got a chain reaction set up, we just need to close on them. But it's encouraging. If we get these 4, it would be a very talented group at least on paper.

Other than that, one kid dropped off his bid card today. Was valedictorian and class president. I talked to him for a long time today and he was super nice. His signing is also likely to cause another Lincoln kid to sign, though from a different HS. This other kid was also very cool, and I got a great vibe from him right off.

Finally, a kid from my home town of suburban KC called the rush chair during the BBQ and will be turning in his card next week at the BBQ. His signing, along with the first guy might cause a third Kansas kid to sign...which is good...we've had a South Dakota connection for a long time, so it's awesome to have a Kansas pipeline getting set up.

Other than that, one guy got a bid card last night after a lot of unnecessary discussion. This guy had been to the house a couple times - last tuesday for his New Student Enrollement, last weeks BBQ and yesterday, so the rush chairs knew him pretty well. He's from a really small town, but has a solid app. The discussion centered around his fitting in to the house. Basically everyoen that talked to him came back to the rush chairs and said "I don't know about that kid - he's kinda goofy." It was really funny to watch 4 guys talk to him and then have them all say the exact same thing that I said. We gave him a bid because he was nice guy, and we know that not everyone is going to be super outgoing. The rush chairs being on the fence could find no one who said that we shouldn't sign him. Essentially, no one thought that this was going to be a kid who was a risk, especially when the rush chairs considered who could be his roommates. (They thought about putting D in with him, b/c they think D will be excited just to have roommates - I've told you the kid is crazy about Beta). But anyways this kinda goofy kid is probably very likely to sign (his sister is a KD who seems to pushing him our way).

So there's the news:6 pledges (guys who have signed and turned their cards in). 15 bid cards currently out. 2 guys confirmed to sign, (just need to get that card in). 2 guys that will very likely sign. 4 guys that are leaning our way. 2 guys that are down to us and one other house. 1 guy that is down between us and 2 other houses, and 4 guys that we don't know what they are thinking.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-27-2004, 08:29 AM
GreekChat Member

wow! i remain impressed. how many would you like in all?
Old 06-27-2004, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Haven't been on GC in awhile...great job so far! Congrats on the guys you have a ne good luck with the rest of rush.

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 06-27-2004, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Pledge #9 signed yesterday. Great kid that we met back in March during our Rush open house during the Boys' State Basketball tournament. For those that are interested he is Rushee B from my profile of the early rushees we met with.

As for the number of Rushee's we'd like to take...We have a total of 21 spots for pledge's to live in the chapter house. A couple of the guys we are going after though are getting free room and board in the dorms, so obviously they can live out. We're probably shooting for 22-25 guys if we can. Right now I'm feeling pretty confidant in reaching that many.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to phimu344
hey congrats on all the new guys you got so far
Old 06-29-2004, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

congrats Betarulz.............wishin umcp had summer rush.
Old 06-30-2004, 06:18 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sigtau305 Send a message via Yahoo to sigtau305 Send a message via Skype™ to sigtau305
Good Job, man.

LetEmKnow!!RollTau!!
Old 07-08-2004, 03:23 AM
GreekChat Member

It seems like you are very involved in your chapter's rush. That is a great quality of a member especially during summer rush at Nebraska. Which house do you feel is Beta's main rival for kids? Do houses run into problems with other houses when competing for the same kids?

Last edited by ProGreek; 07-08-2004 at 03:29 AM.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:46 AM
GreekChat Member

betarulz,
congrats....two summers in a row. you guys seem to have got it down beautifully.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ProGreek
It seems like you are very involved in your chapter's rush. That is a great quality of a member especially during summer rush at Nebraska. Which house do you feel is Beta's main rival for kids? Do houses run into problems with other houses when competing for the same kids?
Typically, we have our biggest competition from Sigma Phi Epsilon and Farmhouse, however we also lose a lot of guys to Alpha Tau Omega. Last year we lost a lot of guys to Delta Tau Delta, but not this year.

As for problems, I'll discuss those after rush is through, simply to avoid any sort of rumors being started from me since there are at least a couple of Nebraska people who sign on to GC.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Beta, how is Pike doing this summer at UNL?
Old 07-10-2004, 01:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KEPike
Beta, how is Pike doing this summer at UNL?
Haven't heard anything about them really. Will check later this week to see what is up with them. Typically though, Pike has a very different rush than the other chapters. This is due to the fact that they are the only strong chapter without a chapter house. This allows them to attract a lot of guys who would not otherwise be in a fraternity. It also means that they tend to rush "friends" better than anyone else, b/c they'll meet kids in the dorm and convince them to join 2nd semester. For the chapters with houses, there is always the financial pressure to get guys to live in early. We have a couple of pledges who we are trying to convince to live in - they want to live in the honors dorm. I know that Delta Tau Delta offers a "free" laptop for pledges that sign a contract to live in the chapter house for 3 years.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Okay, I apologize. I've kinda sucked at keeping up to date on this thread this year. Part of it is a lack of organized posting on our chapter message board about the exact status of rushees.

The news is we are up to 14 pledges. I'm excited about the pledge class, but not as much as I was at the beginning of the summer...

Anyways, the kid from KS came up last week and signed. Found out that he is going to be the roommate of one of the Honors program kids we are going after, so I think we're nearly a lock to get that guy. In turn that hopefully will get the other Honors kid in as well as one of his friends. However a two house race for the other honors program guy and his friend turned into a three house race last weekend. Didn't realize it, but the third house has probably the coolest person I know as one of their rush chairs. The rush chair is super, super nice, really f-ing cool, and totally down to earth. Two summers ago he was probably the most sought after rushee for that year - ended up going with his legacy affiliation. So it doesn't surprise me that spending a day at the guys cabin made those two rushees interested in joining that chapter. (On a side note, I work with a guy who signed this rush chair, and he said he estimated they spent over $800 that summer rushing this one guy alone!)

The other Lincoln guy signed and one more got a bid card. If this new Lincolnite signs, that would be 6 in this pledge class - had five last year which seems to me getting a little excessive but at least this year they are all from different high schools.

We might sign our first legacy in over two years, a guy from AZ. He came by the house last thursday for the BBQ. I didn't get to meet him, but from a distance he seemed cool - I think he might be on the Golf team. Apparently one of our local alumni was really pestering our rush chairs about not rushing this kid harder (who's dad is this alumni member's pledge brother), which really bugged the rush chairs since the kid's app wasn't anything to make you go wow. But in the end, meeting the kid in person was apparently enough.

Signed a guy from Missouri, so we are getting quite a diverse representation of guys from out of state which I think is cool. I guess that's the results of having three rush chairs from out of state. Could have guys from Kansas, Missouri, South Dakota, Wyoming, Arizona and Nebraska.

Our final major rush event of the season is on Saturday at the farmstead of the above mentioned local alumni. Really cool place with sand volleyball, go carts, pool, and nice outdoor basketball court. Unfortunetly I won't be going as I will be in the middle of my second full length practice MCAT that day. But I'm excited about the prospects of a big party that night.

Last edited by Betarulz!; 07-12-2004 at 12:55 AM.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:07 AM
GreekChat Member

congrats...
shows what hard work can do, and you're not done yet.
got betas
Old 07-12-2004, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Glad to here ATO is doing well out there....and good job Beta