GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,720
2 members and 1,718 guests
Cookiez17

Old 07-11-2003, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Re: Plugs

Quote:
Originally posted by AXOKatie
So i had to add my 2 cents in, even if the thread IS already four pages long on my campus, we have a sorority version of the golden rule for campus leaders and sisters speaking to PNMs outside of rush: talk about Greek life as if you had 12 sisters looking over your shoulder, one for every chapter on campus...so, in otherwords, it's great that everyone has sorority love, that's why we joined!!! and the PNMs can obviously see that love, but (sorry if this is preach-y) we should remember to promote Greek life as a whole, which we already basically do on this site by being courteous, respectful and encouraging one another in our individual chapter pursuits...we should aim "to see and appreciate all that is noble in another, be her badge what it may" because we all know that, even if our favorite PNMs on this site don't end up affiliating with us, we're still happy that they're Greek at all right? because they can share the love with us...so, individual plugs and shout-outs are cool, but in the end we should try and campaign for PNMs to go greek in general, not XYZ

thanks for listening guys
well posted!
Old 07-13-2003, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

PMs to PNMS

Quote:
Originally posted by AXOKatie
So i had to add my 2 cents in, even if the thread IS already four pages long on my campus, we have a sorority version of the golden rule for campus leaders and sisters speaking to PNMs outside of rush: talk about Greek life as if you had 12 sisters looking over your shoulder, one for every chapter on campus...so, in otherwords, it's great that everyone has sorority love, that's why we joined!!! and the PNMs can obviously see that love, but (sorry if this is preach-y) we should remember to promote Greek life as a whole, which we already basically do on this site by being courteous, respectful and encouraging one another in our individual chapter pursuits...we should aim "to see and appreciate all that is noble in another, be her badge what it may" because we all know that, even if our favorite PNMs on this site don't end up affiliating with us, we're still happy that they're Greek at all right? because they can share the love with us...so, individual plugs and shout-outs are cool, but in the end we should try and campaign for PNMs to go greek in general, not XYZ

thanks for listening guys
Do you guys really think PMs are bad? If i saw someone on the board from my school, i would definitly PM to say i would answer any questions they had with in THE BEST OF MY ABILITY. Read no rush infractions here, meaning i would be PMing as if i did have "12 sisters looking over my shoulder" from different houses. I would probably give them the link to our panhell, encourage them to contact the panhell office and maybe outline the different days of rush, for example we have a skit day, then philathropy, etc and a little about what is appropriate wear. BUT I WOULD NEVER USE A SHAMELESS PLUG. I do however see lot of girls on here who have specific concerns and if i PMed them it would probably be best to answer in panhellenic terms just as if i had a friend who was a PNM. Which i have ACTUALLY had a friend who was a PNM, who liked to ask me lots of questions, for example she was concerned about smaller houses and if she would really want to be in a really small sisterhood. I dont see anything wrong wiht saying, well i am in a small sisterhood at XYZ and i have never encountered your concern AS WELL there are many other sororities on our campus that are small and they also feel the same way. This was the way we were taught to deal with situations like this. Address maybe your invidividual chapter if they had asked about it but then quickly move it to talking about it in go panhell terms. The whole panhellenic system is wonderfull. etc etc. My friend also asked me some very specific questions which after i informed her that it was against the rules to answer, i quickly refered her to panhell or told her to write down her question and as her gamma chi (or rho chi) once school started.
do you guys agree with this thinking?
Old 08-18-2003, 11:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OUlioness01
i am amazed at how differend the rush threads are this year. ther is no cheering for individual GLOs on the threads and it's much more panhellenic. great job!
Old 08-18-2003, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by OUlioness01
i am amazed at how differend the rush threads are this year. ther is no cheering for individual GLOs on the threads and it's much more panhellenic. great job!
I was thinking the same thing earlier! There will always be the "hope to call you sister!" or whatever, but I think everyone truly is trying to be more panhellenic, and more understanding about each woman and her choices. Also, we don't know the real life dynamics involved, and are a bit more cautious.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to USChica06
Quote:
Originally posted by honeychile
I was thinking the same thing earlier! There will always be the "hope to call you sister!" or whatever, but I think everyone truly is trying to be more panhellenic, and more understanding about each woman and her choices. Also, we don't know the real life dynamics involved, and are a bit more cautious.
I must say I've been impressed with the Pan-hel atmosphere around here. Honey introduced me to this site a while back because we met through a mutual like of soccer. () Even on the other message boards and through private messages she has been completley unbias even though at times you know she just wants to say "I WANT YOU IN ADPi! WITH ME!" Hehehe! You rock honey! (Btw, CJ likes my massages. )

It's that kind of attitude that I admire. And I feel welcome to ask questions and all. I hope that this continues. Thanks all!
Old 08-19-2003, 01:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to absolutuscchick
Quote:
Originally posted by USChica06
I must say I've been impressed with the Pan-hel atmosphere around here. Honey introduced me to this site a while back because we met through a mutual like of soccer. () Even on the other message boards and through private messages she has been completley unbias even though at times you know she just wants to say "I WANT YOU IN ADPi! WITH ME!" Hehehe! You rock honey! (Btw, CJ likes my massages. )

It's that kind of attitude that I admire. And I feel welcome to ask questions and all. I hope that this continues. Thanks all!
Did you decide to rush this fall at SC? Keep me updated!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-19-2003, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by USChica06
I must say I've been impressed with the Pan-hel atmosphere around here. Honey introduced me to this site a while back because we met through a mutual like of soccer. () Even on the other message boards and through private messages she has been completley unbiased,
Thank you, Bethany! That is just too kind of you to say!

Quote:
even though at times you know she just wants to say "I WANT YOU IN ADPi! WITH ME!" Hehehe!
Don't you know it! (she's obviously picking up on my subliminal adpi adpi adpi vibes!) But again, YOU have to be happy with your sorority. Whichever sorority "gets" you will be the luckiest on campus!

Quote:
You rock honey! (Btw, CJ likes my massages. )
Yeah, we need to talk about that massage...!!!

Quote:
We'll do our best!

Last edited by honeychile; 08-19-2003 at 01:16 PM.
Old 09-23-2003, 06:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to strawberrysismd Send a message via Yahoo to strawberrysismd
we are told during recruitment never to say anything negative about another chapter; i think that we need to be just as panhellenic here; not that people put down other orgs here; i just think that we need to be as neutral as possible when helping pnms; i know that when i was a pnm i always read these boards looking for advice and they always put me at ease; but i also think that its good to show our pride, no matter what chapter we are a part of; its important for pnms to see how important our orgs are to us and how much a part of our lives they are
Old 04-16-2004, 02:11 AM
GreekChat Member

This is going to be a bit long-winded...

Wow, things sound pretty stable and amiable between the houses at your respective schools. Of course, I haven't read all of the posts in this thread all that closely -- so please dont' tear my head off if I'm wrong.

Anyway, I went through Rush several times while I was here at Cal, Fall 2002, Spring 2003 and finally again in Spring 2004. I didn't join fraternities at that point because every single one I went to had a varying degree of animosity towards each other inside the house (between the pledge classes, usually towards the ones preceeding the most recent one was when the most anger could be felt.) and the fact that many houses very badly bad-mouthed other houses constantly -- trying to impress Rushees that way, rather than show them what their house had to offer.

Now, I joined Theta Delt because I found them to be the most close-knit group, most sincere and nicest all-around group of guys. Sure, we may not have the "best" reputation on campus -- nor do we have the highest GPA, or the biggest parties (actually we do have some of the biggest parties) or "best" relations with the sororities, but there was no resentment between the various pledge classes and there was definately a focus on what we are in this for -- Fraternity. And you can feel the resentment in a lot of the houses, because of the (from what I've heard -- I never went through anything all that terrible) extreme hazing that goes on in many of them.

Of course, there is bad blood between some of the houses around Cal, but that is usually because of "dirty rushing" and other incidents that go back so long, that the reasons they hate each other have been forgotten by everyone -- so most of the animosity results down to nothing more than "Those guys are queers" or "They're dorks." (Of course, this is very sugar-coated and watered-down. Use your imaginations )

Now, what I can't seem to wrap my head around is that we are all Greeks and many people and groups, including elements of the administration, at Cal that are extremely <b>Greek Hostile</b>, so why can we not at least get along civilly? There is a great deal of stuff going on with houses, especially in the IFC to screw each other over -- including setting houses up for getting "caught" breaking regulations, vandalization, stealing pledges and dirty-rushing/early-bidding & hotboxing.

I know this probably bandied on way too long and went off topic, but I feel it is a relevant point to add to this topic. My point is, that we are Greeks and since when has your house-affiliation mattered so much that you can't associate with people outside? I became a Greek to be a Greek and because it was/is family tradition (not so much the house, but I'm a 4th Generation Greek), not be a Sigma Chi, or an ATO or a Fiji or even a Theta Delt. I love my fraternity, I love my brothers and I love the Greek System, but it pisses me off when I see people who turn down houses where they'd be perfectly happy and join one and be miserable just because they had a good rep. It happened to us and its happened to countless other houses here and across the country most likely.

But I'd just like to say, I'm proud to be a Cal Greek and I'm proud to be a Theta Delt.

Peace.
Old 05-14-2004, 01:46 AM
GreekChat Member

RUSH PIKE

Pi Kappa Alpha is the best!!!!