GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,723
0 members and 1,723 guests
No Members online

Old 12-08-2002, 08:10 AM
GreekChat Member

One thing-If I were a PNM and started a thread that didn't get some feedback, I'd feel silly. I might think no one cared or was interested. We need to post SOME kind of reply to show we care about her and her experience. Whatever the guidelines, I'll stick with what the majority deems appropriate.
Old 01-19-2003, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Quote:
Originally posted by kdonline
Well, how about sending private messages, instead of posting it on the PNM's thread?

And, not that I want to bring more work to the mods, but how about deleting those "good luck" msgs individually when they are posted to a rushee's thread?
Personally, I think that this would not only be more work for the mods but also more of a chance for people to say "go my sorority" without anyone but the PNM seeing it.

I think the easiest solution is to continue wishing the PNMs good luck without any comments about our own organizations. If "shameless plugs" are included, then mods should edit them.
Old 01-19-2003, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I am one of the ones who sees no harm in the ubiquitous shameless plug but I do disdain PMs because if your PM box is full and you don't know it is full and someone PMs you, then the PM is gone forever because your box is full....so I so NO to PMs instead of a good luck on a rushee's post -- personally I get heartened seeing all the good wishes and good lucks -- it truly does embody the Panhellenic spirit IMHO and inspries me to strive to be less 'xenophobic' about my own sorority!
Old 03-04-2003, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to valpogal99 Send a message via Yahoo to valpogal99
Sorority Chants

At recruitment events, don't most sororities do some song or cheer that says, "Go XYZ"? I know we would cheer about ADPi and had some songs that said "Go ADPi". I don't see how those songs are any different than saying "Go ADPi" on the boards. I agree that if you are on a campus and some on of the PNM's from your campus posts, DO NOT RESPOND. However, if a sister from another campus or an Alumnus posts, what is wrong with that. I think we also need to look at the disadvantage chapters have through postings of PNMs. What if there is a PNM who the entire sorority loves and she posts that she is having doubts about the sorority. The decision of the sorority may be swayed. She may not be invited to another event because the sorority wants to make sure to save the places for people who might bid. But what if the PNM was venting and may have made the connection with the sorority at the next event. I have to agree with the post that said this is GreekChat. It was founded as a place for existing members to share ideas and fraternal bonding. Don't get me wrong, I think it is great that PNM's are visiting the site and learning more about Greek life. I think it means that they are making more educated decisions are more likely to stay with the group the join. I still think they (along with everyone) need to keep in mind that this site has a lot of people from different groups represented. It is also possible that people will post on the site under false pretenses. It is just like anything you read on the Internet, get more facts than what is here before making any firm decisions.
Old 04-16-2003, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

Just my 2¢

I have a friend who will be rushing at a college in California in the fall. I asked her to please register here on GreekChat, and to keep us posted on the details. I also told her that, while I would be absolutely thrilled to call her a sister, I will not force my sorority down her throat. Why? Because I don't know the sisters on that campus, and I don't know how my friend & the chapter will "gel". As an alumna, my job is to send a rec, keep her spirits up, and hope for the best.

I would hope that, if she were to say that ADPi is in her list of choices, I could still say something encouraging. But I think we also need to think Panhellenically, too! I would rather she choses a chapter she loves rather than not go greek at all.

Isn't that what GreekChat is all about?

honeychile
Old 05-07-2003, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AZpinkkittie
Smile

Ok, so this is my first post on this board after stumbling across you guys on my school's go greek page. After reading this thread, I think it's great that you guys don't feel it neccessary to pressure girls into thinking your sorority is the only choice, and you are actually trying to take measures to prevent that. I will be rushing this fall, all by myself, and knowing that I can come here and talk with out any pressure is very helpful. Since I don't have anyone rushing with me at home, I'll probably be sharing a lot on the boards. So anywho, nice to meet you all!!
Old 05-14-2003, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by AZpinkkittie
Ok, so this is my first post on this board after stumbling across you guys on my school's go greek page. After reading this thread, I think it's great that you guys don't feel it neccessary to pressure girls into thinking your sorority is the only choice, and you are actually trying to take measures to prevent that. I will be rushing this fall, all by myself, and knowing that I can come here and talk with out any pressure is very helpful. Since I don't have anyone rushing with me at home, I'll probably be sharing a lot on the boards. So anywho, nice to meet you all!!
How sweet of you, AZpinkkittie! I rushed alone, too, but became close with my Rho Chi group.

I'm surely not the only one here who hopes that you DO start a rush thread, and keep us posted on a day to day basis!!
Old 06-02-2003, 02:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
I rushed alone, too, intending to become close with my rush group and then drop out of rush .....

when, S U R P R I S E !!! This whole sorority thing is full of women who want to be ..... friends? So I started with my pledge sisters... then moved on to the entire chapter.... and then to sisters nationwide on my org.'s website..... and now I'm on greekchat and can't even keep everyone's sorority straight.

Entering rush alone is the BEST way to make sure you will never ever EVER be alone again! Now if I could only get my own bathroom....
Old 06-02-2003, 02:11 AM
GreekChat Member

I intended to rush with my roommate last year, wasn't able to, and will be rushing alone this year! I'm psyched - The best way to meet new people is to go out totally on your own and put yourself in situations that you absolutely HAVE TO. BTW: I like the shameless plugs.
Old 06-02-2003, 02:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Doesn't everyone just LOVE the "report this post" button?
Old 06-02-2003, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
bwahahah! and btw, I noticed a mod somewhere did some house cleaning...... anyone else notice some missing posts they don't miss?
Old 07-05-2003, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HotDamnImAPhiMu
bwahahah! and btw, I noticed a mod somewhere did some house cleaning...... anyone else notice some missing posts they don't miss?
What's missing? (guess I don't miss it but still am curious)

BTW, censorship sucks!
Old 07-08-2003, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GPhiBLtColonel
What's missing? (guess I don't miss it but still am curious)

BTW, censorship sucks!
DANG-DANG-DANG! How may times do I read something that is
pertaining to something I will never know about!
TOO MANY!!!!
Old 07-08-2003, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

jogging some memories

I think the posts that were deleted had to do with that person who posted for a couple of days at the beginning of the summer and was only saying joking, sarcastic, mean stuff. Basically junking up the boards for their own amusement, they were quickly banned and their posts removed. (I promise it was not worth reading, nor was it trying to make a point...I think at one point whoever it was was posting quotes from different members to antagonize fights between them). It was more than likely better to remove them than to have people keep continually respond to a post that was inflammatory and not even desiring a reply.
Old 07-11-2003, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Plugs

So i had to add my 2 cents in, even if the thread IS already four pages long on my campus, we have a sorority version of the golden rule for campus leaders and sisters speaking to PNMs outside of rush: talk about Greek life as if you had 12 sisters looking over your shoulder, one for every chapter on campus...so, in otherwords, it's great that everyone has sorority love, that's why we joined!!! and the PNMs can obviously see that love, but (sorry if this is preach-y) we should remember to promote Greek life as a whole, which we already basically do on this site by being courteous, respectful and encouraging one another in our individual chapter pursuits...we should aim "to see and appreciate all that is noble in another, be her badge what it may" because we all know that, even if our favorite PNMs on this site don't end up affiliating with us, we're still happy that they're Greek at all right? because they can share the love with us...so, individual plugs and shout-outs are cool, but in the end we should try and campaign for PNMs to go greek in general, not XYZ

thanks for listening guys