GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,774
2 members and 1,772 guests
naraht, PGD-GRAD

Old 08-18-2009, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Hello all...I have been reading all of your posts over the last few days and have not responded until now. I am a recent alumna of Bama so I think I know how the system works.

It is not hard for OOS or anyone to get a rec, and yes it is definitely needed. However, some girls (especially from in state) come into recruitment thinking they don't need one and that they have this in the bag because they know an active. A girl from my hometown did that this year, even though I tried to warn her and help her get recs from many houses, she didn't listen and got dropped (her focus too was on a particular Old Row house, another mistake putting all your eggs in one basket). As much as I love her, it's her own fault and I told her not to come crying to me. For OOS PNMs ignorance is not an excuse. Just as someone else said, you do plenty of research when choosing a school, you need to do the same thing when going Greek, especially if it is something that means a lot to you. It is also good to go over and above expectations, just to be sure. By the way, do a simple Google search of the Alabama Greek System and you will know exactly what you are getting yourself into.

Contact info for each chapter and alumnae chapter is is clearly written on the Panhellenic website. All you have to do is write, call or email asking someone to write a letter for you, and I don't personally know of any chapter that refuses to write one because they don't know the girl or they are OOS (they might write a bad one if they don't like you, but don't refuse). I do not personally know or have even met any of the girls I wrote letters for this year. I even helped a girl I didn't know get rec letters for two other sororities on campus, and also for a PNM at a different school where my sorority doesn't have a chapter. Most alumnae are very excited to help out in any way possible. Perhaps it could be stressed more on the website and at Panhellenic Weekend that recs are needed/required. I believe that a PNM should have at least a 3.0 to sign up, but that's just me. Grades are very important. Greek women at UA have consistently held a higher GPA that independent women for many years now.

To people who did not go to Bama and do not understand the need for recs or think our way of doing things are extreme, let me explain something to you...this year was a lean year for Bama, only around 1400 girls showed up. Usually it is 1600+. It is my understanding that at some schools quota is 5 with maybe 6 sororities, but here its usually in the 80s and we have nearly 20. Have you ever had to have one-on-one conversations with 1600 girls? No. There is no way in 15 minutes that I can decide if a PNM should become my sister. Drastic cuts have to be made in order for us to have the time to get to know everyone. So something that to other Greek systems would not be an issue, it can be a make or break thing at a high competition school like Bama. It is very intense on the other side of recruitment too. I remember last year there were many times that I could not remember a girls name, where she was from or what she even looked like, from the time I said good-bye to her at the door, sang our good-bye song and the doors were shut. We are up before dawn and stay up past midnight working, have to be peppy and sing and dance for hours on end in heels, remember all of our history, what we can and cannot say, and try to sell our sorority so girls want to join....not to mention the never ending work week that happened the week before. We need other people to give us information on them to help us decide if she is a good fit for us. Who would you want to keep? A girl who has multiple letters to verify information her her application and sent in everything and more required so you actually know something about her, or a girl who only submitted her application, maybe a photo, and the active who talked to her during open house thinks she kinda remembers that the PNM was "ok", but she maybe confusing her with someone else? You are going to choose the least risk. I am sorry if that sounds harsh, but it is the truth. With that many girls coming through, you need to do everything possible to stand out in the crowd.

I feel bad for the moms who are so upset about their daughters not getting picked. I am not going to lie, if this was something she really wanted, it is not going to get much better for her after school starts. Her freshman year will be filled with girls wearing their shirts, letters and talking non-stop about how great it is to be a XYZ. While it will be an uphill climb, if she wants to rush again in the fall she needs to meet and become friends with as many people in the Greek system (guys and girls), go to their parties, be their dates to games, network as much as possible. The upperclassman quota will help her out, but the truth is I know of many people who do just as I just said above and decide that they are not going to rush because they have all the benefits of being Greek and not having to pay

And to the girls who only pref one house when they have more choices...STUPID IDEA! Even if you don't exactly feel that house is perfect for you, you need to at least give it a chance. I know of many girls who are very happy where they are now and didn't think on Bid Day they were matched to the right house. A lot of those feelings on Pref Night is just because you are upset that the house you wanted dropped you, and unfortunately you are the one who messed things up for yourself. I know they say it every year and girls roll their eyes, but you ALWAYS end up where you are supposed to be, even if it is somewhere you least expected it.

My biggest advice to PNMs is do your research and maximize all of your options. If you get matched great, if not you will still make friends and have memories to last a lifetime.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama View Post
Hello all...I have been reading all of your posts over the last few days and have not responded until now. I am a recent alumna of Bama so I think I know how the system works.

It is not hard for OOS or anyone to get a rec, and yes it is definitely needed. However, some girls (especially from in state) come into recruitment thinking they don't need one and that they have this in the bag because they know an active. A girl from my hometown did that this year, even though I tried to warn her and help her get recs from many houses, she didn't listen and got dropped (her focus too was on a particular Old Row house, another mistake putting all your eggs in one basket). As much as I love her, it's her own fault and I told her not to come crying to me. For OOS PNMs ignorance is not an excuse. Just as someone else said, you do plenty of research when choosing a school, you need to do the same thing when going Greek, especially if it is something that means a lot to you. It is also good to go over and above expectations, just to be sure. By the way, do a simple Google search of the Alabama Greek System and you will know exactly what you are getting yourself into.

Contact info for each chapter and alumnae chapter is is clearly written on the Panhellenic website. All you have to do is write, call or email asking someone to write a letter for you, and I don't personally know of any chapter that refuses to write one because they don't know the girl or they are OOS (they might write a bad one if they don't like you, but don't refuse). I do not personally know or have even met any of the girls I wrote letters for this year. I even helped a girl I didn't know get rec letters for two other sororities on campus, and also for a PNM at a different school where my sorority doesn't have a chapter. Most alumnae are very excited to help out in any way possible. Perhaps it could be stressed more on the website and at Panhellenic Weekend that recs are needed/required. I believe that a PNM should have at least a 3.0 to sign up, but that's just me. Grades are very important. Greek women at UA have consistently held a higher GPA that independent women for many years now.

To people who did not go to Bama and do not understand the need for recs or think our way of doing things are extreme, let me explain something to you...this year was a lean year for Bama, only around 1400 girls showed up. Usually it is 1600+. It is my understanding that at some schools quota is 5 with maybe 6 sororities, but here its usually in the 80s and we have nearly 20. Have you ever had to have one-on-one conversations with 1600 girls? No. There is no way in 15 minutes that I can decide if a PNM should become my sister. Drastic cuts have to be made in order for us to have the time to get to know everyone. So something that to other Greek systems would not be an issue, it can be a make or break thing at a high competition school like Bama. It is very intense on the other side of recruitment too. I remember last year there were many times that I could not remember a girls name, where she was from or what she even looked like, from the time I said good-bye to her at the door, sang our good-bye song and the doors were shut. We are up before dawn and stay up past midnight working, have to be peppy and sing and dance for hours on end in heels, remember all of our history, what we can and cannot say, and try to sell our sorority so girls want to join....not to mention the never ending work week that happened the week before. We need other people to give us information on them to help us decide if she is a good fit for us. Who would you want to keep? A girl who has multiple letters to verify information her her application and sent in everything and more required so you actually know something about her, or a girl who only submitted her application, maybe a photo, and the active who talked to her during open house thinks she kinda remembers that the PNM was "ok", but she maybe confusing her with someone else? You are going to choose the least risk. I am sorry if that sounds harsh, but it is the truth. With that many girls coming through, you need to do everything possible to stand out in the crowd.

I feel bad for the moms who are so upset about their daughters not getting picked. I am not going to lie, if this was something she really wanted, it is not going to get much better for her after school starts. Her freshman year will be filled with girls wearing their shirts, letters and talking non-stop about how great it is to be a XYZ. While it will be an uphill climb, if she wants to rush again in the fall she needs to meet and become friends with as many people in the Greek system (guys and girls), go to their parties, be their dates to games, network as much as possible. The upperclassman quota will help her out, but the truth is I know of many people who do just as I just said above and decide that they are not going to rush because they have all the benefits of being Greek and not having to pay

And to the girls who only pref one house when they have more choices...STUPID IDEA! Even if you don't exactly feel that house is perfect for you, you need to at least give it a chance. I know of many girls who are very happy where they are now and didn't think on Bid Day they were matched to the right house. A lot of those feelings on Pref Night is just because you are upset that the house you wanted dropped you, and unfortunately you are the one who messed things up for yourself. I know they say it every year and girls roll their eyes, but you ALWAYS end up where you are supposed to be, even if it is somewhere you least expected it.

My biggest advice to PNMs is do your research and maximize all of your options. If you get matched great, if not you will still make friends and have memories to last a lifetime.
Bama. very well put and very, very true.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

On the topic of recs and such... I can't say I agree when you say that "ignorance is no excuse". I grew up in the northeast, had never heard of recs and knew no one in an NPC sorority. I assumed Greek Life was like any other extracurricular - if you wanted to join, you just joined. Luckily, I ended up at a school where this is pretty much the case - no recs or legwork required. The groups don't ask for resumes or anything, and really, cuts are based on GPA, personality and any sort of glaring "my reputation precedes me" (positive or negative) situation. I rushed with little to no knowledge of the Greek system and got a group I loved. Lucky me!

But if I had gone to a school with a really intense Greek system, where you're cut immediately if you don't have recs or haven't sent in a resume, body shot, head shot, etc. etc. I would have gotten steamrolled. Honestly, I would have had no clue that things like this even existed. It would never have occurred to me to research it before I got there, just like I wouldn't have researched the application process for joining any other philanthropic or social group - I was focused on what major I would declare, what dorm I was in, stuff like that. I can same the same for 95% of my high school peers. It's just not part of the culture I grew up in, at all. Like the southern girls who were groomed for elite groups at SEC rushes since they were children, I was groomed for "elite" colleges since I was little. Everything is about what college you go to - big names preferred. For the rest of your life, you're introduced as a So-And-So grad, not an XYZ sister. Greek life was never mentioned. If I heard of it, it was just a "fun thing you do in college". Reading this over, I feel like it sounds snobby, and I really don't mean it that way at all. I'm just trying to point out how different it is.

Not to toot my own horn, but going into college I had great extracurriculars, very high GPA and SATs, and since joining Kappa I've been really (perhaps overly) involved and have held a leadership position every year. I would say I've been an asset to my group, and I love my membership. It's kind of saddening and frightening to me that had I rushed at a Greek system that relied so heavily on recs and connections, I would never, ever have had this experience.

I don't mean this as a criticism of the system, just another viewpoint!

Last edited by littleowl33; 08-18-2009 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Luckily, I ended up at a school where this is pretty much the case - no recs or legwork required. The groups don't ask for resumes or anything, and really, cuts are based on GPA, personality and any sort of glaring "my reputation precedes me" (positive or negative) situation.

This makes more sense to me. I don't understand how having a rec written by someone that doesn't even know you could be very helpful anyway. But I do understand in the South, any rec is better than no rec.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleowl33 View Post
On the topic of recs and such... I can't say I agree when you say that "ignorance is no excuse". I grew up in the northeast, had never heard of recs and knew no one in an NPC sorority. I assumed Greek Life was like any other extracurricular - if you wanted to join, you just joined. Luckily, I ended up at a school where this is pretty much the case - no recs or legwork required. The groups don't ask for resumes or anything, and really, cuts are based on GPA, personality and any sort of glaring "my reputation precedes me" (positive or negative) situation. I rushed with little to no knowledge of the Greek system and got a group I loved. Lucky me!

But if I had gone to a school with a really intense Greek system, where you're cut immediately if you don't have recs or haven't sent in a resume, body shot, head shot, etc. etc. I would have gotten steamrolled. Honestly, I would have had no clue that things like this even existed. It would never have occurred to me to research it before I got there, just like I wouldn't have researched the application process for joining any other philanthropic or social group - I was focused on what major I would declare, what dorm I was in, stuff like that. I can same the same for 95% of my high school peers. It's just not part of the culture I grew up in, at all. Like the southern girls who were groomed for elite groups at SEC rushes since they were children, I was groomed for "elite" colleges since I was little. Everything is about what college you go to - big names preferred. For the rest of your life, you're introduced as a So-And-So grad, not an XYZ sister. Greek life was never mentioned. If I heard of it, it was just a "fun thing you do in college". Reading this over, I feel like it sounds snobby, and I really don't mean it that way at all. I'm just trying to point out how different it is.

Not to toot my own horn, but going into college I had great extracurriculars, very high GPA and SATs, and since joining Kappa I've been really (perhaps overly) involved and have held a leadership position every year. I would say I've been an asset to my group, and I love my membership. It's kind of saddening and frightening to me that had I rushed at a Greek system that relied so heavily on recs and connections, I would never, ever have had this experience.

I don't mean this as a criticism of the system, just another viewpoint!
I agree with this! Not that these schools aren't good, because they absolutely are, but some of these gals simply would not have been accepted into my college with their high school GPAs, and the thought that they couldn't make it without a rec is just foreign to me. I feel like some of the mothers on here--mainly the ones who complain that their daughters didn't get into a sorority--see college as a conduit for getting into a sorority and that's it. I don't understand how a parent can allow a child to drop out of school if they don't get into a sorority, but that's my issue, I guess. That is something I am not used to, nor is the need for recs. The processes are very different everywhere, and I think these forums are very helpful and informative to help people who might not know what they're in for get familiar with it all. There is no right or wrong--there just is. In the end, we all share a Greek experience, and for that we are very lucky.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA25 View Post
This makes more sense to me. I don't understand how having a rec written by someone that doesn't even know you could be very helpful anyway. But I do understand in the South, any rec is better than no rec.
At the University of Alabama there were nearly 1500 PNMs going through the process. After the first round many Chapters are required to make massive cuts. With so many PNM there are a lot of them who nobody in the Chapter knows personally so decisions have to be made, harsh decisions and quick decisions.

Now here's a real life analogy. Nearly 20 years ago I applied for an entry level position at a huge corporation. There were perhaps 700 applicants for maybe 30 positions. These were true "entry level" positions where they expected the employees to move up and out into other positions within the company. Therefore they went through this hiring process about once a year.

The first cut to the pool of applicants was anyone who didn't have a college degree. It didn't matter what your degree was in, but you had to have one or your application was disregarded. It wasn't personal. From the remaining pool they determined who got an interview and preference was given to those who had personal references from other employees in the corporation. How that interview went determined whether you got a 2nd interview. After that they selected those who received job offers.

Shockingly similar to a competitive Recruitment process isn't it? Of course without the singing, dancing, and skits. Though it would have been fun to see my boss do some of that.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:

THANK YOU.

PNMs, moms and such should take notes.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 08-18-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillini View Post
At the University of Alabama there were nearly 1500 PNMs going through the process. After the first round many Chapters are required to make massive cuts. With so many PNM there are a lot of them who nobody in the Chapter knows personally so decisions have to be made, harsh decisions and quick decisions.

Now here's a real life analogy. Nearly 20 years ago I applied for an entry level position at a huge corporation. There were perhaps 700 applicants for maybe 30 positions. These were true "entry level" positions where they expected the employees to move up and out into other positions within the company. Therefore they went through this hiring process about once a year.

The first cut to the pool of applicants was anyone who didn't have a college degree. It didn't matter what your degree was in, but you had to have one or your application was disregarded. It wasn't personal. From the remaining pool they determined who got an interview and preference was given to those who had personal references from other employees in the corporation. How that interview went determined whether you got a 2nd interview. After that they selected those who received job offers.

Shockingly similar to a competitive Recruitment process isn't it? Of course without the singing, dancing, and skits. Though it would have been fun to see my boss do some of that.

Ding, Ding, Ding....we have a winner. Great "real world" example.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to WVU alpha phi
Hope this link works, I know some DDDs at Alabama and they posted facebook pics from Bid Day:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/al...&id=1507950018
Old 08-18-2009, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Bingo Zillini!

I know people don't get how we do things, but like I said it is because we have such a high volume of girls we have to take other things into consideration. Out of 1500, each house gets to choose 77 or so. I am starting to get the impression that some posters believe we should be changing our practices or that some how "the way they did things at their school back in the day" is some how superior. I am in no way saying how things ran at Bama are the best, we can always improve, I am just saying this is what works for our system right now. It is unfortunate that not all girls get matched and some really great girls slip through the cracks. If your school had that many girls going through, how would you make cuts? You would get nit picky too.

And LittleOwl- are you somehow inferring that Alabama is not a good academic university? I know some people think we are all inbred and don't wear shoes, but The University of Alabama System (UA, UAH, UAB) is one of the highest respected systems in the country for engineering, medicine, business, etc. We are able to maintain 3.5+ GPAs and still know how to have a good party. I have friends who graduated from ivy league schools who have amounted to nothing after college and some of the most successful people, in the South at least, graduated from UA. And like I said, elsewhere things maybe different, but when I say I am a graduate of the University of Alabama, the first thing out of people's mouths are "What sorority are you in?" and I am proud to tell them.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Bingo Zillini!

I know people don't get how we do things, but like I said it is because we have such a high volume of girls we have to take other things into consideration. Out of 1500, each house gets to choose 77 or so. I am starting to get the impression that some posters believe we should be changing our practices or that some how "the way they did things at their school back in the day" is some how superior. I am in no way saying how things ran at Bama are the best, we can always improve, I am just saying this is what works for our system right now. It is unfortunate that not all girls get matched and some really great girls slip through the cracks. If your school had that many girls going through, how would you make cuts? You would get nit picky too.

And LittleOwl- are you somehow inferring that Alabama is not a good academic university? I know some people think we are all inbred and don't wear shoes, but The University of Alabama System (UA, UAH, UAB) is one of the highest respected systems in the country for engineering, medicine, business, etc. We are able to maintain 3.5+ GPAs and still know how to have a good party. I have friends who graduated from ivy league schools who have amounted to nothing after college and some of the most successful people, in the South at least, graduated from UA. And like I said, elsewhere things maybe different, but when I say I am a graduate of the University of Alabama, the first thing out of people's mouths are "What sorority are you in?" and I am proud to tell them.
My grandparents are from Alabama (Camden, Tuscaloosa, and Hoover), so should hope that being from AL doesn't mean that, lol.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

recs

I have to second the part about the mindset being different outside of the south. Some of the sorority women that I know were enthusiastic that my daughter was going through recruitment, but told me that recs were really not needed! This is even though they knew she was going to an SEC school. I had a friend who had promised to help my daughter with recs, who then went out of town for a period and when she got back said, sorry she had forgotten but she was sure it would not affect my daughter's rush. If it were not for some wonderful people at an alumnae panhellenic that wasn't even in our geographic radar and a truly wonderful woman here on GC, we would never have gotten all the recs in time. And my daughter had started early. I truly sympathize with the out-of-region pnms who come to SEC recruitment without that kind of help. I know my daughter told me that alot of those girls dropped out of recruitment or were cut heavily right out of the box. (On the other hand, I think Cincinnati must be a city with a southern heart - those girls always seem to be prepared for the SEC rush.)
Old 08-18-2009, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Yep, that's the real world! Job hunting can be much more cut throat than even the most competitive of SEC recruitments (especially for kids graduating from college this year )
Old 08-18-2009, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

Didn't Richard Todd marry one of those twin Tri Delt cheerleaders from the late seventies? I may be getting my football heroes mixed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwho? View Post
Not only did Nick Saban's daughter pledge Phi Mu but three other alabama football heroes' daughters did too! Paul Ott Carruth's daughter, Richard Todd's Daughter and Van Tippins' daughter. Very strange! Makes you wonder if they knew each other before?
Old 08-18-2009, 05:57 PM

I don't think it's so much the fact that things are done differently in the south that sticks in some people's craws. Anyone should understand that with that many girls, you have to cut a LOT and cut fast so rush doesn't turn into an out of control clusterbuck. I think it's things like seeing "recs are suggested but not required, it is the chapter's responsibility" and clothing that is far more casual than what women actually wear on the websites. Then again, the South hardly has a corner on that sort of thing. A lot of it IMO is just a misguided attempt by national Panhel to "de-frill" these very frilly, very traditional recruitments. All I can say is GIVE IT UP!! Nathan Lane will be banging Pamela Anderson in a dive bar in Omaha before that happens. Just be honest and put the info out there so first generation Greeks know what to do.