GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,133
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, Yodapolarisnupe
» Online Users: 1,201
2 members and 1,199 guests
austinyandxtz54, navane

Old 07-17-2000, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to MaMaBuddha Send a message via AIM to MaMaBuddha Send a message via Yahoo to MaMaBuddha
i am a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Incorporated, a member of Alpha Phi Omega bka A Phi Q or APO (Alpha Gamma Gamma chapter at Hunter College in NYC).

since the inception of the co-ed fraternity (1925), there has alway been a handshake and secret signs. The stepping came into play when african amercian joined.

I've been to several viking chapters that are only african amerian men and have a call "skeet skeet" and even some of these men don't acknowledge me. most do, because i can handle my own and i know my history!!!

------------------
"the ORIGINAL soror from the dirtiest part of the south"
(cheese grits, hogmahs and fatback)

MaMaBuddha
Delta Alpha/Epsilon Tau
Spring 94
the 24th Diva of Perfection
Old 07-18-2000, 04:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

-well, first off... i am a member of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. i want to say that no sorority or fraternity can truly lay claim to the words 'frat' or 'soror' when referring to a counterpart group except Zeta Phi Beta and Phi Beta Sigma, off tops!

-second...i think that for organizations whose traditions and practices and purposes for existing are not the same as those of the nine traditionally african american fraternities and sororities, offense should not be taken when someone talks about one organization imitating another. GLO's differ from BGLO's in their organization and initiations and such so much that comparisons cannot and should not be drawn between them.
however, the imitation that is referred to, that is so thouroughly disdained, is that of non-NPHC BGLO's that 'coincidentally' have similar colors and handsigns and calls intake processes and etcetera to those of the nine NPHC BGLO's, in some mixture or another. AND, on top of everything they wanna step, but claim to be innovators of something new...huh!
those organizations may very well be service organizations, but they trivialize the existence of the nine NPHC BGLO's. it's a slap in the face of any memeber when this sort of imitation occurs.
i don't have a problem with an organization that starts up and does something different and tries to find a different way to enlighten the community and uplift us all; i commend any such organization. on my campus at the university of missouri-columbia, there is a start-up organization, Sa-En-Ra, that is very african based in its principles and ideas and methodology. they have no calls or hadsigns or the like, but they are a fraternal organization [minus the Greek letters]. they are a superb group of men. i don't have any problems with similar such BGLO's.

-thirdly, the word probate alludes to a time period early in the twetieth century when hazing was absolutely rampant on college campuses eveywhere; it was germaine to most people's college experience. when joing an organization, especially a fraternity or sorority, you were considered 'on probation' -- not worthy of full membership. near or at the end of your 'probation' you would put on a show for the public demonstraing your worthiness, a probate show. over time, the elaborateness (sp?) of the show has remained the same (songs, steps, etc.), but it is more for entertainment value and purposes of presentation of new members (neophytes). this is why a 'probate' is more commonly referred to as a neophyte [show].

-lastly, if we [members of all GLO's] could remember the the reasons why our organizations exist, and the true spirit if fraternity...that's all that matters, really.

i'm out
Old 07-18-2000, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Studio 33 (aka The Bob Barker Studio), CBS Television City
Red face

To Gamma Girl 52, How's it goin', soror?

To Someblueguy,

As far as for (B)GLOs other than ZPBS laying true claim to the whole "frat" and "soror" part, no one is disputing that fact. Nonetheless, many of the orgs do it anyway IN SPITE OF. Yes, I call the Gamma Sigs sorors, and they call us (A Phi Qs) frat. Just because there is no constitutional bond does not mean a sister/brother bond is to be negated. This holds true for Alpha/AKA, Delta/Omega, etc., or any combination of the above.

HOWEVER (in my best Art Fleming "Jeopardy" voice)

Over the past 5-6 years, there has been arising quite a few CONSTITUIONALLY BOUND BGLOs; to name a few Phi Rho Eta Fraternity and Gamma Phi Rho Sorority, and Gamma Phi Eta Fraternity and Xi Gamma Phi Sorority. So come to think of it, your initial analogy is technically incorrect, though I can see your overlying point.

BTW, Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Da Rain Man
Old 07-18-2000, 01:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZetaAce Send a message via AIM to ZetaAce
GSS and APHIQ- Question? Is that relationship a nationally recognized one (like Zeta/Sigma or AKA/Alpha) or is it something that is only recognized on HBCU's??

ZetaAce
Old 07-18-2000, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ZetaAce:
GSS and APHIQ- Question? Is that relationship a nationally recognized one (like Zeta/Sigma or AKA/Alpha) or is it something that is only recognized on HBCU's??

ZetaAce
Seeing as I am a member of APO and never even HEARD of GSS till I discovered the Internet, I would say it is something that is only recognized on HBCU's, and with those chapters of APO that are all-male.

The idea that APO does still have all-male chapters blows my mind, although my chapter was chartered the year APO went co-ed nationally, so we've never known any other way.

(Opening can o' worms) To those from all-male APO chapters....say I would have transferred from my college & co-ed APO chapter, to a college that had an all-male APO chapter. Would I have been accepted? Since we have a nonselective membership policy, they'd kind of have to, wouldn't they?

Old 07-18-2000, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by someblueguy:
-well, first off... i am a member of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. i want to say that no sorority or fraternity can truly lay claim to the words 'frat' or 'soror' when referring to a counterpart group except Zeta Phi Beta and Phi Beta Sigma, off tops!

Hey Someblueguy its cool to see a Sigma posting it doesn't happen alot, anyway if the Divine Nine recoginizes that Sigma and Zeta are the first "constitutionally bound" which i believe we all do, then do you have a problem and if so why? when groups that were started before your own already had and continue to have a brother/sister or frat/soror type of bond. (which can not be mandated, like you should be in love with your spouse before you get the marriage certificate, that's just a legal document it has nothing to do with the love you already have between the two of you) They did not choose or see the need to make it constitutionally bond. I respect the fact that you guys are constitutionally bound but i don't understand why their is a problem with relationships such as Alpha/AKA and Omega/Delta (which can vary from campus to campus but as a whole) that have been around longer then your own organization. Is it that you find people negating the validity of your bond with your sorors or is it that you just do not like seeing others share the same bond. Help a sista out Sigma Man and i would prefer/but not limit this to hearing from the Sigma Bruhs since they initiated the constitutional bond idea in its inception.
Old 07-18-2000, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face

This is to 33 girl

Your statement about APQ and GSS being recognized only at HBCUs is not correct, although that is where it is primarily recognized. The APO(Q)/GSS bond is recognized at mainstream single-gender chapters at such schools as Drexel, Duquesne, U of Delaware, Clemson, and Western Kentucky Univ.

As far as all-male chapters having to admit a transfer female, that also is not necessairily true. Case in point, Delta chapter at Auburn Univ. (Ala.) is the oldest all-male chapter, and the most continuouly active chapter in APO (never been inactive since it's founding 10/31/27). They are a die-hard all-male chapter and vows to stay that way, and will not admit transfer female brothers, or for that matter ANY TRANSFER BROTHER regardless of gender.

So no all-male chapter is required to admit women, though Nationals is pushing that one HARD.

Da Rain Man
Old 07-18-2000, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face

This is to 33 girl

Your statement about APQ and GSS being recognized only at HBCUs is not correct, although that is where it is primarily recognized. The APO(Q)/GSS bond is recognized at mainstream single-gender chapters at such schools as Drexel, Duquesne, U of Delaware, Clemson, and Western Kentucky Univ.

As far as all-male chapters having to admit a transfer female, that also is not necessairily true. Case in point, Delta chapter at Auburn Univ. (Ala.) is the oldest all-male chapter, and the most continuouly active chapter in APO (never been inactive since it's founding 10/31/27). They are a die-hard all-male chapter and vows to stay that way, and will not admit transfer female brothers, or for that matter ANY TRANSFER BROTHER regardless of gender.

So no all-male chapter is required to admit women, though Nationals is pushing that one HARD.

Da Rain Man
Old 07-18-2000, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

-well, i'm glad you appreciate my posting, thanks. i was surfing the internet looking at sigma stuff, and i found this place.

-anyway, to tell you the truth, about other greeks using the terms frat and soror, i sometimes have a problem with it. but, i never really thought about it the way you just broke it down. however, on my campus the alpha's and aka's ain't really cool with each other [in fact the alpha's and delta's are real cool] yet and still they still try to front for the non-greeks and call each other frat and soror and give each other special shoutouts [like at parties and stepshows]. also, the same thing with the delta's and que's -- until spr200 there was only 1 or 2 que's at any one time -- so, they never do anything together, but they still use 'frat' and 'soror'. that's what i have a problem with, FRONTIN'. it's like a disease on my campus, there's just way too much. so, in essence i guess, i don't have a problem with aka's/alpha's or delta's/omega's or gss's/apo's or anybody else in general, just the one's on my campus.

-i'm out
Old 07-19-2000, 09:58 AM

Question

Da Rain Man[/B][/QUOTE]

If chapters are all male...whatever...because it's all about SERVICE and if they are busting their butts doing service that’s the most important thing cause that’s APO’s purpose.

But quite frankly, I’m surprised APO national hasn’t gotten sued over this one. Like I said, I’ve never known any other way but coed...to me, it’s kind of like if my sorority would decide to admit guys only in reverse.

FWIW, my sorority sister’s brother pledged GSS and they HAD to let him in. Why he didn’t go APO I don’t know.

Old 07-19-2000, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gamma_girl52 Send a message via Yahoo to gamma_girl52
Hello All...

Just reading over the posts here...

The whole co-ed issue in APO has been a long-running one to my understanding. The APO/GSS relationship is far more than just a HBCU thing, as my brother Rain Man said, it exists outside of that. When my sorority was founded in 1952, it was founded to be a sister organization to Alpha Phi Omega, yes-but more importantly, it was the determination and desire of our founders to form a sorority that upheld the principles of Service, Friendship, and Equality. And, since our inception, Gamma Sigma Sigma has had a non-selectivity policy that allowed anyone to join that had a desire to serve.

Yes, there are men in my sorority just as there are women in Alpha Phi Omega, but I never lose sight of the relationship that is APO/GSS. Whether you heard of the brother/sister bond or not, realize that it's there and this isn't a "black" or "white" thing-it's history!

Old 07-20-2000, 12:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Wink

thanks someblueguy for your reply
Old 07-21-2000, 02:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Wink

-PositivelyAKA, you're very welcome.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

This is my first time on GreekSource and I hope I dont' offend anyone. I have found it interesting to read the posting regarding Alpha Phi Omega and Gamma Sigma Sigma. I find it quite interesting that Alpha Phi Omega would have a sister sorority (or Jewels/sweethearts even) when the organization it self is co-ed. Why be sisters to a fraternity that you can actually join? That is more baffling to me than the "Non-NPHC" issue.
Can someone help me to understand? I'm not bashing at all. I just want to understand the rationale.

We had "A Phi Q's" when I was in school and when I went to another campus and actually saw a white female with the same letters on, it totally tripped me out! Then I went back and looked at old yearbooks from my school and saw that the chapter was actually co-ed and predominately white at one time. Somehow, I think the chapter died and was given new life as an "NPHC like" organization. Now the chapter is active again as a co-ed, multi racial service organization with mainly women at the helm.

Does anyone know what the Alpha Phi Omega national office think about all of this?
Old 05-29-2007, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Welcome soror! Please introduce yourself here.