GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,444
2 members and 1,442 guests
LaneSig

Old 05-25-2012, 09:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile Too many rec letters?

So my mom has advised me to start early on rec letters. I have been figuring out who I know start who has bee in a sorority and I know a good amount of alumnae so I was curious if it is good to have multiple rec letters or is that to repetitive? Also I don't know what school I'm going but I do know I want a fairly large university preferably in the south. Thanks!
Old 05-25-2012, 09:58 AM
GreekChat Member

If you don't know what school you are going to yet - it is too early to start collecting letters. What you might do would be to start a list of people that you meet or know in sororities, so that once you do know where you are going to school you can ask for the best letters. You might even ask them if it would be ok to contact them next year when you are looking for letters or ask for a business card to keep track of their contact information. Most people say 2 letters per chapter is good even at a really competitive school. (We only have so much time to read them!) Sometimes a letter from an alumna of that school carries a little more weight.

Some people will have a couple extra letters for one chapter or another if they are a legacy.

After the first couple letters, they start to say the same things, so it doesn't help to have a TON of letters (especially if they are from people that don't know you or your family very well.)

Last edited by HQWest; 05-25-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I hadn't asked to write letters yet for that reason but I had started compiling a list of who I know and I had alot for certain chapters so I was just curious if I should ask them all or pick a few. But thanks that really helped!
Old 05-28-2012, 08:34 AM
GreekChat Member

It doesn't hurt to ask (when the time comes) a few extra people to write a rec because sometimes your original rec writers forget or don't write it for some reason. It is nice to have a backup or two. Of course, do NOT tell them they are back up writers - just go ahead and ask 3 or 4 women if you are working to get 2 letters. If a few more letters show up, then that is okay.