GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,713
0 members and 2,713 guests
No Members online

Old 05-03-2008, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I have my framed copy of the Alpha Delta Pi Creed hanging in my room so I can see it every morning. These are my favorite parts:

"I believe that my sorority is more than a ritual or symbol; it is a way of life."
Very true!

"leadership requires confidence tempered with humility and courage blended with tolerance..."
This is so important to me.

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-05-2008, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Although Delta Upsilon does not have a creed, we do have our Oath of Initiation and Our Four Founding Principles which we use to guide our daily lives.

Four Founding Principles:

The Promotion of Friendship
The Development of Character
The Diffusion of Liberal Culture
The Advancement of Justice.

The Oath of Initiation: (I have bolded my favorite parts)

I, of my own free will and accord, in the presence of God and of these witnesses, do hereby solemnly declare that the principles of this Fraternity as they have been explained to me accord entirely with my own views; and I solemnly promise that as a member of this Fraternity I will faithfully adhere to those principles endeavoring in every way to perfect myself morally, intellectually, and socially, and endeavoring also to act towards others according to that high standard of conduct required by the Fraternity.

I solemnly promise that I will be loyal to the Delta Upsilon Fraternity and to this chapter, abiding by their rules, discharging my obligations to them faithfully, and using all honorable means to promote their interests.

I solemnly promise that I will share with my brothers the duties of my chapter; that I will uphold and encourage them in all that is honorable and right; that I will ever extend to each brother the right hand of sympathy; and that at all times and in all circumstances I will endeavor to cultivate those sentiments which should ever exist between brothers.

All this I solemnly promise upon my honor, without any equivocation, mental reservation, or secret evasion of mind whatsoever.

From the "RITUAL OF INITIATION," The Delta Upsilon Fraternity
Old 05-05-2008, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKyleXY View Post
Although Delta Upsilon does not have a creed, we do have our Oath of Initiation and Our Four Founding Principles which we use to guide our daily lives.
And you get to share that with non-members?
Old 05-05-2008, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
And you get to share that with non-members?

All of DU's rituals are "open".

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 05-05-2008, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
My Favorites here are in Purple

Our Ideals:
Phi Sigma Pi's Purpose is to bring together some of the brightest and most motivated students on campus and work together in a spirit of excellence to encourage three ideals (aka: the tripod):

* The acquisition and dissemination of information and knowledge through scholarship.
* The application of professional skills and the fostering of leadership qualities by promoting and advancing the welfare of humanity.
* The fostering of non-discriminatory, fraternal fellowship within our ranks.

We also have two official songs:

Brothers Are We
By: Charles Darrin & Edward Ingraham

Bound by the ties of friendship,
Bound by the ties of truth,
Ideals to show us service, love, and loyalty

For you is service honor,
To keep your standard true.
Through all the years together,
We pledge our lives to you.

Brothers are we in Phi Sigma Pi;
Knowledge the teacher, skill the means of life,
Fellowship ever to live or die,
Brothers are we forever, Phi Sigma Pi.

Brother
By: Thomas "Ted" Daniels

It wasn't long ago that I was all alone.
I never had anyone, anyone to call my own.
I knew where I was going, but I never had a clue
what my life would really be until I found you.

You pulled me from the lonliness; you made me feel at home.
You taught me about Brotherhood, now I know I'll never roam.
We started out as strangers, but now we're more than friends
We've become a family that I know will never end.

(Chorus)
You're my Brother-You have always been there.
You're my Brother-in my time of need.
You're my Brother-I will follow you anywhere,
You're my Brother-no matter where life leads.

You've always stood beside me every step of the way.
We do that for each other, yeah, we do that day by day.
If we stand together, united as one,
We can do anything that we need to get done.

(Repeat Chorus)

I put my life in your hands, I laid it on the line.
I know you will never let me down.
And I will come running if ever you should call
Even though I may not always be around because...

(Repeat Chorus)

You're my brother...for a lifetime guaranteed.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:34 AM
GreekChat Member

NutBrnHair,

Delta Upsilon is a non-secret fraternity. As ForeverRoses mentioned, this means that all of our Rituals are open to the public, you can even read the text on our Fraternity website, here.

Thanks for asking
Old 06-04-2010, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

BUMP!

I was searching for something completely different and I found this thread, and decided to bump it. I really appreciate the creeds of other organizations because they articulate values in a way we cannot really do conversationally.

I don't think I have a favorite part of The Preamble, since it's quite short:
"We, the members of The Delta Chi Fraternity, believing that great advantages are to be derived from a brotherhood of college and university men, appreciating that close association may promote friendship, develop character, advance justice, and assist in the acquisition of a sound education, do ordain and establish this Constitution."

However I do like this quote from our old pledge manual about our four core values:
"What more cherished privilege is ours than that of inspiring human association, of friendship? What finer personal quality could we desire than strength of character? What greater cause to champion than justice? What more worthy object of endeavor than the acquisition of a sound education?"

The values in our Preamble are expanded upon in our Ten Basic Expectations:
  1. I will strive for academic achievement and practice academic integrity.
  2. I will respect the dignity and worth of all persons. I will not physically, mentally, psychologically or sexually abuse or haze any human being.
  3. I will protect the health and safety of all human beings.
  4. I will respect my property and the property of others; therefore, I will neither abuse nor tolerate the abuse of property.
  5. I will meet my financial obligations in a timely manner.
  6. I will neither use nor support the use of illegal drugs; I will neither abuse nor support the abuse of alcohol.
  7. I will acknowledge that a clean and attractive environment is essential to both physical and mental health; therefore, I will do all in my power to see that the chapter property is safe, properly cleaned and maintained.
  8. I will know and understand the ideals expressed in my fraternity Ritual and will incorporate them into my daily life.
  9. I will exercise compassion and understanding in dealing with all persons.
  10. I will challenge all my fraternity members to abide by these fraternity obligations and will confront those who violate them.
I highlighted my favorites in red and buff. Number 8 is my favorite expectation, and number 9 is the one I feel I need to work on the most/be most conscious of upholding.

Last edited by Gusteau; 06-04-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for bumping this, I thought I had posted in it before.

Alpha has a "creed" called The House of Alpha. Most Alphas love it. M'eh.

I much prefer the Preamble, as found for the public on Wikipedia.

Of that, the most meaningful phrase to me is "To destroy all prejudices." It was my signature on GC for a very long time. It also has dual meaning for me as both a black man and a gay man and is the main reason I shun any sort of homophobia or religious intolerance among my brothers.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:16 PM
GreekChat Member

My favorite part of our creed is, and always will be,
"I believe in it as a shrine of international sisterhood, wherein I may find love and loyalty, sympathy and understanding, inspiration and opportunity."

Whenever I recite our creed, this is the line that always makes me smile.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Nice thread.

All of my favorites are in purple.

There are a few favorites of mine. One being a quote from our first Founding Father, Carter Ashton Jenkins, when our Fraternity was approved by Richmond College: This Fraternity will be different; it will be based on the love of God and the principle of peace through brotherhood... its purpose shall be to intensify and perpetuate friendship and promote happiness among its members, to encourage literature and education, and to create such sentiments, mold such opinions, and perform such deeds as shall conduce to the building of a noble and pure manhood.
I love every single word of it. The second half is on every charter.

Here's the creed:
I believe in the American college fraternity. I believe in Sigma Phi Epsilon. I believe in this Fraternity because it would have me strive in every way to live up to the high principles for which it stands. These are VIRTUE, DILIGENCE, AND BROTHERLY LOVE.

I believe that the word Virtue is an inclusive term; that it is not enough that I be merely passively virtuous: I must be positive on virtue's behalf. Therefore, I will stand aggressively for honesty in all walks of life, and I will speak cleanly, play cleanly, and live cleanly. Whenever I can, I will oppose lawlessness and vice.

I believe that unless I succeed in being Diligent, I cannot be a good fraternity member. Believing that my fraternity can be no greater than any of its members, I shall strive to make it so high and so worthy that men will consider it an honor and privilege to belong to it and will strive to be admitted to it. I will not offer concessions to an individual to secure his affiliation, for thus making the man more note worthy then the Fraternity and hence only succeeds in lowering it in his estimation as well as mine.

I believe that Brotherly Love must be given in order to be received, and that it cannot exist without triumph of the principles of Virtue and Diligence, for these are essential parts of it.

I believe that a man will be made better for having been a member of my Fraternity. I know that I cannot expect the neophyte to be a finished product. Rather I will try to discover whether or not the environment and contact with men of high ideals will make of him a good fraternity man.

I believe that as a good fraternity member I must share a rich kinship of spirit with my brothers. Yet I realize that the members must be men of diversified abilities and talents. Among them are to be found the scholar, the athlete, the builder and craftsman. The good fraternity member must be par excellent in manhood.

I believe that to be a good member I must be loyal to my Fraternity. In order to be loyal to it, I must love it. In order to love it, I must strive constantly to make it worthy of my love. To be loyal to my Fraternity, I must gain a knowledge of it so that I may understand it. I have an obligation to understand what brotherhood means.

I believe that in any organized society group rights and privileges are based on individual rights and privileges; that in my fraternity I possess the same rights and privileges and have the same duties as my fellow members. Therefore, I shall at all times respect duly the rights of others.

I believe that obedience to the laws of my community and my country is essential to good citizenship; that the laws and rules of my Fraternity and my chapter are intended to regulate the actions of its members, one with another, and that without fidelity to those laws and rules I cannot be a good citizen and a worthy member of Sigma Phi Epsilon.

I believe I should be generous with the faults of a brother, as I should wish him to be with mine.

The whole Anthem always rings with me and my favorite line of our Toast (which has been my siggy) is: "let never we sever, our friendship forever, drink deep to the Purple and Red."

Last edited by pshsx1; 06-15-2010 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Our purpose was one of the first things that really spoke to me when I joined Tri Delta. It summed up what I wanted out of a sorority experience.

THE PURPOSE OF DELTA DELTA DELTA shall be to establish a perpetual bond of friendship among its members, to develop a stronger and more womanly character, to broaden the moral and intellectual life, and to assist its members in every possible way.

One of the other things I have always loved is from the story of our founding.

Although there were three women's groups represented at Boston University in 1888, Sarah Ida Shaw saw a need for a group which would be different from the others. She said to her friend, Eleanor Dorcas Pond, "Let us found a society that shall be kind alike to all and think more of a girl's inner self and character than of her personal appearance."

Old 06-05-2010, 01:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDlady View Post
"Let us found a society that shall be kind alike to all and think more of a girl's inner self and character than of her personal appearance."
I love that quote. Its one of my favorites. The first time I ever heard it I got chills.

My favorite part of our motto is 'to assist its members in every possible way'. I've really gotten that out of the sororites at times. Literally one time my car was dead and my chapter president handed me her keys cause I needed to go to my house. No "put gas in it. be careful' or anything. I cried.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Creed:
I Believe in Alpha Delta Pi.
I Believe that my sorority is more than a ritual or a symbol; that it is a way of life.
I Believe that the principles established by our founders in 1851 are enduring attributes, exemplifying the highest ideals of Christian womanhood.
I Believe that our motto, "We live for each other" expresses the true spirit of fraternity; and that by living this motto my life will be enriched by true friendships and by unselfish service to mankind.
I Believe that the privilege of membership in Alpha Delta Pi brings the responsibility to do my best in whatever I undertake, always remembering that leadership requires confidence tempered with humility and courage blended with tolerance.
I Believe that I must strive to become a well-balanced person by following the dictates of the four points symbolized by our diamond-shaped badge: first, strengthening my own character and personality; second, watching my attitudes toward my fellow-beings; third, recognizing the value of high educational standards; and fourth, developing faith and loyalty.
I Believe that these four guide-posts, guarded by the stars and friendly hands clasped in the Adelphean bonds of fellowship, will lead me to achieve a rich and useful life.

*sigh* I tried not to highlight virtually all of it, but I did.

Purpose:
The society shall be called Adelphean, and shall have for its object the mental, moral, social, and domestic improvement of its members.

I love all of it. Our creed spoke to me in so many ways when I first read it, and it means even more now.

-GKC

Last edited by txpacer; 06-05-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

To gain understanding that wisdom may be vouchsafed to me.
To develop and prize health and vigor of body.
To cultivate acquaintance with many whom I meet.
To cherish friendship with but a chosen few and to study the perfecting of those friendships.
To welcome the opportunity of contributing to the world's work in the community where I am placed because of the joy of service thereby bestowed and the talent of leadership multiplied.
To honor my home, my country, my religious faith.
To hold truth inviolable, sincerity essential, kindness invaluable.
To covet beauty in environment, manner, word, and thought.
To possess high ideals and to attain somewhat unto them.
This shall be my purpose that those who know me may esteem Alpha Gamma Delta for her attainments, revere her for her purposes, and love her for her Womanhood.

I love our entire Purpose, but I think the two lines that stand out the most for me are "To cherish friendships with but a chosen few and to study the perfecting of those friendships", because it shows that all good relationships take time, and "To possess high ideals and attain somewhat unto them" because that can apply to anything!

Last edited by ColdInCanada11; 06-05-2010 at 01:11 PM. Reason: picture
Old 06-05-2010, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Kappa Delta Creed

May We, Sisters in Kappa Delta, strive each day to seek more earnestly the honorable and beautiful things. May We each day through love of those within our circle, Learn to know and understand better those without our circle. May the diamond shield that guards our love find us each day Truer, Wiser, More Faithful, More Loving, and More Noble.

The parts underlined are my favorite. Also our open Motto "Ta Kala Diokomen" which means "Let us strive for that which is honorable, beautiful and highest" is another big favorite.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot