GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,350
0 members and 1,350 guests
No Members online

Old 08-06-2004, 04:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Question best acne treatment

What's the best acne treatment? Or any tips?

I've used Proactiv for a few years but it hasn't been working lately. So I went and got the Keihl's acne kit which doesn't seem to be working either. Which sucks a$$ cause it was so expensive!
I've been checking out Murad which has an anti-acne kit but I don't want to spend a lot of money again. I keep breaking out even though I only drink water (a lot of it), I eat more healthy food (a lil bit of candy every so often), I wash my face every day. But I'm still breaking out, especially on my forehead. I'm thinking it's from sweating when I work out, but I still wash my face...

HELP!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-06-2004, 09:29 AM
GreekChat Member

If OTC products aren't working, I'd go see a dermatologist. He/she can get you a prescription for a topical cream or a pill. I know dermatologists us Acutane as a last resort. Even if your acne isn't bad, they can still get you some sort of help.

And if your Keihl's kit didn't work, I'd see about getting a refund. Most products like that have a number on the packaging that you can call if you aren't satisfied.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

I didn't have a good experience with Murad's products. It made my face worse.

Are you under any stress lately? Acne shows itself sometimes.

Xylochick is right. A dermatologist will be able to give you the best advice when it comes to your skin. My dermatologist reccommend for me to use Cetaphil or Basis,which are OTC soaps and not expensive, and to avoid toners. Again, everyone's skin is different, what might work for me might not work for you.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:34 AM

I agree, see a dermatologist. There are prescription creams and such that work wonders. Also, check out the Clinique skin care line, or try using witch hazel.

Also - look for water-based makeup products.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

My youngest brother went to the dermatologist. They gave him this pill that you can take a cycle of and it basically eliminates acne problems for the rest of your life.

One unfortunate side effect is that your skin is VERY fragile while you are taking this pill. It'll cut/bruise very easily.

Wrap yourself in bubble wrap and you should be okay.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 08-06-2004, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
I use Neutrogena's acne line when my face needs a break from Proactiv (and trust me, after continued use, it's always a good idea to take a break from it). They seem to complement each other well.

ETA: If you're a woman in your childbearing years, you're going to find it VERY hard to find a dermatologist who will prescribe Accutane. Tetracycline (the other pill they use to treat acne) causes permanent staining of your teeth.

Unless you have serious, cystic acne, you rarely need to take a pill, but I agree, see a dermatologist, because it might not be acne on your forehead.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: having a sit sit while lusting after Olympic swimmers
my skin flared up a lot... i eventually went to see a dermataologist and i'm on minocyclin and differin gel. its basically just an antibiotic but it has cleared up my skin so much. I use it in conjunction with cetaphil (highly reccommended by my doctor) b/c its very gentle and won't over wash your face.

I highly suggest you go see a dermatologist. there are tons of other options besides accutane and tetracyclin!
Old 08-06-2004, 11:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Do NOT take Tetracycline! When I took that, my acne actually became worse and my skin became SUPER sensitive! I couldn't even walk outside!

Now, do you think you may be overdrying your skin? I know that when I wash my face too much I will break out pretty bad. After you wash your face, put some facial moisturizer on, it WILL help you decrease your acne!

I recommend BeautiControl "All Clear" facial products line and Mary Kay's "Velocity" line. Both are super for helping extreme acne! Good luck hon!
Old 08-06-2004, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

I went to a dermatologist when I was younger and went on Accutane. I took one round of it and haven't had a single bit of acne in 5 years. The results are really amazing.

However, it does come at a price. While I was on it, my lips cracked and bled and I had nosebleeds every day. I bruised really easily...even my face had mysterious bruises. I was supposed to take two cycles, but my dermatologist took me off after one when my hair started falling out in handfuls. Since the drug is residual (so you are acne-free even after you stop taking it), I still bruise easily, I get lots of nosebleeds, and my hair still falls out a little bit.

I would recommend seeing a dermatologist, but try other medications before you even talk about Accutane.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:15 PM
Banned

Re: best acne treatment

Quote:
Originally posted by norcalchick
What's the best acne treatment? Or any tips?

I've used Proactiv for a few years but it hasn't been working lately. So I went and got the Keihl's acne kit which doesn't seem to be working either. Which sucks a$$ cause it was so expensive!
I've been checking out Murad which has an anti-acne kit but I don't want to spend a lot of money again. I keep breaking out even though I only drink water (a lot of it), I eat more healthy food (a lil bit of candy every so often), I wash my face every day. But I'm still breaking out, especially on my forehead. I'm thinking it's from sweating when I work out, but I still wash my face...

HELP!

When I was a teenager I took acutaine (sp?) and it worked marvels. The problem was you can't really stay out in the sun for any length of time and it makes your face peel like a bitch. But, it works the first time around and it solves the problem for good.

I'm not sure if you still have to get it by prescription or not but I know I had to in like 93 or 94. Also, I think the doctor has to do blood tests on you while on it. Serisouly, though...if you don't want to waste your money or time trying all the other bullshit products...ask your doctor about accutaine.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:22 PM

I forgot about Accutane... The problem with it is that it can cause some nasty birth defects, so you cannot be pregnant while you're on it. Your doctor will probably ask you to take pregnancy tests, and either abstain from sex or go on the pill for the duration. (Obviously this doesn't apply if you're male, beyond your childbearing years, or have had a hysterectomy.)
Old 08-06-2004, 12:49 PM

Cream de Shultzz.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by shultzz
Cream de Shultzz.
He's back! Awesome!

-Rudey
Old 08-06-2004, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
When I was 18, I had a breakout of acne on my forehead and temples. The doctor gave me some ointment and told me to use pHisoderm on my face and to stop using conditioner on my bangs. It worked in a week.

My sister had a sudden outbreak of cystic acne as an adult. She went to the dermatologist. They gave her medicine like mullet described. She had tried every OTC she could find, but nothing worked. She still takes pills and uses the ointments.

I think that you should go to a dermatologist to get a definitive diagnosis and medicine. Good luck!
Old 08-06-2004, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Coramoor
Water.

Seriously. Drink a gallon + of water a day and it can do wonder's for your skin.