GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 2,396
3 members and 2,393 guests
flirt5721, JayhawkAOII, Pinkmagnolia921

Old 06-17-2010, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

Deviated Septum Surgery

Has anyone here had this surgery? If so, was it rough to recover from?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-17-2010, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Has anyone here had this surgery? If so, was it rough to recover from?
It really depends on the person, the amount of "correction" and the surgeon. I had mine done with adenoid removal and sinus surgery and I was driving the next day. The previous adenoid and tonsil surgery I was up that evening, and the sinus surgery after the first one I was up and around at the mall in a couple hours.

If there is going to be a prescription of rinsing with saline, buy or get the kit from the doctor before hand and practice. It can be a bit awkward to try when there's packing up in there. In my case the packing was so crammed in there the pressure gave me a headache and when it came out it felt so good. it was also really disgusting. I highly prefer the Ayr brand to the Neil med, both for bottle shape and the top closing on the Ayr brand. i have more than one so i can clean them up between rinses.

BTW those saline sinus kits are great for anyone with allergies, and safe for pregnant women since it is just salt water. Anytime i work in the dirt or there's a forest fire or a wind storm, the stuff coming out is amazing and grossitating.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

To be perfectly honest, everyone I know personally who said they had a deviated septum surgery really had a nose job.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Carnation - my daughter had this surgery about 2 years ago - the result of having her nose broken more than once through years of club gymnastics apparently (we had no idea at the time). I would strongly concur with everything Vandalsquirrel suggested.

As to pain and recovery time - I'm sure it differs. Again, thanks to years of club gymnastics and several injuries, I think mine has a pretty high pain tolerance, and I have to tell you - she was in A LOT of pain the first 24 hours. After that it wasn't bad, and she was back up and around in...I want to say 2 days at the most. She had to take it easy for a week or two I think (no running, jumping etc). Sorry, I'm being pretty vague, so not sure how much help this is.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

LOL! They'd better not touch the outside of my nose, that's not where the problem is! But you remember the local relative who's a perp? Hers was a nose job.

I keep hearing stories of terrible recoveries, though. I know one gentle woman who inadvertently punched the nurse who removed her packing because it was so painful.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
To be perfectly honest, everyone I know personally who said they had a deviated septum surgery really had a nose job.
I heard that after my surgery, but in my case the break was bad enough it caused a lot of infections not to drain when I had the adenoids grow back and my sinuses so tiny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
LOL! They'd better not touch the outside of my nose, that's not where the problem is! But you remember the local relative who's a perp? Hers was a nose job.

I keep hearing stories of terrible recoveries, though. I know one gentle woman who inadvertently punched the nurse who removed her packing because it was so painful.
My nose was shaped the same, but it was no longer crooked. I didn't even notice it was crooked until I looked at a couple photos. I broke it playing sports and had no idea there was a problem. My nostrils seem a bit less symmetrical but no one but me and the doctor ever looks up my nose.

I did get a plastic piece put in, and sometimes I can feel it move, kind of freaky. the worst part of the surgery was the prep and aftercare, endoscopes up the nose are the worst, I had to close my eyes.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Me too, but I believe them that they would've needed the surgery anyway. I always end up with complications from surgery so I'll never get a rhinoplasty by itself but if I needed to fix a deviated septum anyway I'd get my nose done at the same time, too.

PS-I've had three friends have experiences like VandalSquirrel described, but I had one that came down with some infection because of the surgery and got pretty sick. (My friend had dry socket three times during her wisdom teeth surgery and got her jaw fixed from TMJ and THAT ended up needing to be re-done...so she might be the exception...surgery just isn't her thing.)

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx

Last edited by Alumiyum; 06-17-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:39 AM
GreekChat Member

I had a deviated septum surgery. OMG it seriously was the best surgery I've had. LOL. I say this because my septum was so crooked and I had an overabundance of sinuses (which they removed) so breathing at night (when trying to sleep) was incredibly difficult.

Mine was a completely outpatient procedure. Afterwords they essentially stuck two "tampons" up my nose, to help with the blood clotting. I did spit up blood for the first 24 hours of the surgery. My face (especially my cheeks) became raw. I had to have a guaze pad covering my nose and the tape went across my cheeks. The first couple of nights it was uncomfortable to sleep. My parents made a "bed" up for me on the coach, so I could be more propped up. The "tampons" in my nose stayed in for like 3-4 days. Boy did it feel good when those things came out!

I had the surgery back in 98 and haven't had to have it again. I met a woman who had to have the surgery (removing of the sinuses) every two years! I can now breathe at night without having to use breathe right strips daily or being propped up. The only times I get so congested at night that it makes it difficult to breathe (and therefore sleep) is when I'm sick. Otherwise, it truly was the best surgery I've ever had. LOL.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 06-18-2010, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUADPi View Post
I had a deviated septum surgery. OMG it seriously was the best surgery I've had. LOL. I say this because my septum was so crooked and I had an overabundance of sinuses (which they removed) so breathing at night (when trying to sleep) was incredibly difficult.

Mine was a completely outpatient procedure. Afterwords they essentially stuck two "tampons" up my nose, to help with the blood clotting. I did spit up blood for the first 24 hours of the surgery. My face (especially my cheeks) became raw. I had to have a guaze pad covering my nose and the tape went across my cheeks. The first couple of nights it was uncomfortable to sleep. My parents made a "bed" up for me on the coach, so I could be more propped up. The "tampons" in my nose stayed in for like 3-4 days. Boy did it feel good when those things came out!

I had the surgery back in 98 and haven't had to have it again. I met a woman who had to have the surgery (removing of the sinuses) every two years! I can now breathe at night without having to use breathe right strips daily or being propped up. The only times I get so congested at night that it makes it difficult to breathe (and therefore sleep) is when I'm sick. Otherwise, it truly was the best surgery I've ever had. LOL.
I had my deviated septum/adenoid/sinus in 2006 and just sinus in 2007, and dissolving packing is what they use now, and is much better than tampons up the nose. Once in awhile it doesn't dissolve, usually because the patient doesn't rinse with saline to irrigate the area. Staying hydrated and rinsing with saline (if prescribed) takes care of dried blood, packing, crusty unidentified stuff, and the packing will come out over a few days. Worst case scenario at the follow up appointment, maybe a week later, the doctor may have to pull a little out. The stuff trickling down my throat was the worst, and sometimes one's breath gets funky, so rinse and brush and drink plenty of fluids.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

If I remember right, it only took 1 hour and an easy recovery. I was typing on the laptop that afternoon.

I wore a splint for one week and used saline for about one month.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:48 AM
Super Moderator

Wow - I have horrible sinuses! I wonder if the surgery would work for me? I'd freak if they changed my nose, but oh, would I love to breathe easily!
Old 06-20-2010, 12:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Wow - I have horrible sinuses! I wonder if the surgery would work for me? I'd freak if they changed my nose, but oh, would I love to breathe easily!
Make an appointment with an ENT (ear nose throat doctor) and get evaluated. If you have a lot of sinus infections and they think it is worth getting a CT scan, as well as an endoscope (YUCK) you may have a nice outpatient surgery. My issue resided with the adenoids being infected, and growing back, paired with the deviated septum and some small sinus issues. It helped me immensely and the allergies are now the next hurdle.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:01 AM
GreekChat Member

I broke my nose 4 times and finally had it corrected about 2 years ago. They corrected the septum and performed "Turbine modification." Pretty much everything the others have said is correct, except i had no packing at all. i had to wear a strap over my face holding a piece of gauze in place.

In my own experience, for the first couple of weeks, I couldn't bend over without my nose running like a faucet. I had to go back for follow ups at like 4 and 6 weeks to have the sutures/stitches removed. That, by far, was the worst. They sprayed a numbing substance up each nostril and pulled them out. The drip down the back of my throat was absolutely disgusting.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:04 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
Make an appointment with an ENT (ear nose throat doctor) and get evaluated. If you have a lot of sinus infections and they think it is worth getting a CT scan, as well as an endoscope (YUCK) you may have a nice outpatient surgery. My issue resided with the adenoids being infected, and growing back, paired with the deviated septum and some small sinus issues. It helped me immensely and the allergies are now the next hurdle.
LOL - I have endoscopies every 2 years for another condition. Sounds like a plan.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:07 AM
GreekChat Member

My ex-husband had horrible sinus issues and they found a bunch of polyps in his nasal cavity that had to be removed. He's much better now. Not quite a deviated septum, but another possible reason for sinus issues.