GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,362
1 members and 1,361 guests
FSUZeta

Old 09-09-2007, 01:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTurtle View Post
This isn't my GLO, but my younger sister's a Kappa Kappa Gamma & their HQ are suppossed to be really haunted. The building's here in Columbus, and one of my friends used to live down the street from it. I actually talked to one of the staff members there once and she told me that odd little things do happen occassionally. But also that older/alumni members always deliberately freak out the younger and newer members when they visit, too. So it's hard to say what's "real" and what's a prank sometimes.

I'm sure there are some Kappas on here that can tell some actual stories. I don't remember any of them. I do know that the building is close to some other older dwellings that are said to be haunted as well, though!
Yeah, the Kappa Headquarters is on some registry in columbus of haunted places. It is part of a tour through the city they give at halloween. The ghost is known as the lady in the pink dress and is suppossed to be the old mistress of the inn. Before Kappa bought the house it was an old mansion that was eventually turned into a boarding home or something andshe was the landlord and was known to wander the hallsin pink pajams to check on her boarders. They say she protects all tha Kappas who stay in the mansion now. Creepy, but cool.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

...aaaand another scary thread for October!
Old 10-09-2010, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigKapCoug View Post
Of course, we're not supposed to talk about Aura anymore because its "hazing" ever since some sisters changed the endings to say that the feeling on your back is Aura trying to push you over the railing to kill you.
This and:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatRabbit View Post
The bartender had told me that they tried to set them free with a ceremony, but one of the ghosts got stuck in a tree and haunts it now.
Made me laugh way too much at work. It took everything I had to stifle myself.

We don't have any fraternity or sorority houses at Loyola anymore (except ADG but they are kicked off campus). But one of our buildings on campus is haunted by a nun. There is really no rhyme or reason as to why a nun haunts the attic of the building (tallest building in Rogers Park when it was first built), but she just does. One of the sororities used to have their new members go up to the attic at night. They would have an active already up there and proceed to scare the bajeezus out of them at the end of a long ghost story about the nun.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:13 AM
GreekChat Member

This may or may not have been posted before and may or may not really count as a sorority story but...

Condie is the famous ghost of Main, which is a very old womens' dorm, on the University of Montevallo campus. The story is that she and her roommate were using a hot plate to cook one night and she somehow caught her nightgown on fire and for whatever reason ran out of the room and down the stairs until someone put it out. She later died in the hospital. She allegedly can be heard screaming (never heard it), leaves creepy images in her old wooden door, and moves objects/hides things/all the regular ghost antics. The school pulls out her old door which is in storage in Main year round during Halloween tours because there is something that admittedly looks a good bit like a screaming face with flames coming from the top of the head. Legend says that her door was replaced twice and each time the same image appeared, so they replaced her door with a metal door. I had always assumed her room was one of the two storage rooms at the top of the 4th floor as they both have metal doors, but I've been told both by Alpha Gams and other sorority and fraternity members that the location of her room is actually on the AGD hall (3rd floor of Main)...though the school doesn't ever say whether that's true or not for obvious reasons. I will say I had a few creep-tastic experiences on the hall, from my door randomly opening and shutting unless it was locked (which could be the extremely old dorm settling...or Condie?), chairs spinning by themselves at the end of the hall, knocking on pipes, random black outs of radios...all of the traditional "ghost activities".

The Delta Chi house's story is that a couple lived in their house about 20-30 years ago and the man was both a drunk and a wife beater. As it was told to me, the wife finally shot her husband right in the doorway after taking one too many beatings, and the house was sold for cheap. I swear to this day I've seen something walking through what used to be the pool room, and I have definitely heard distinct footsteps while I was alone in the front room. Admittedly, I'm gullible, but I'm way more creeped out by their house at night when it's quiet than I am by Main.

Hanson dorm (which houses DG) supposedly has a ghost as well, but I don't remember the story on her. Maybe she plays the piano downstairs?

There's a stair well with an entrance on the 4th floor where this door is. The easiest way to break in is by climbing onto the roof and coming in that way, which I have never been brave enough to even consider since my fear of heights is so ridiculous. I always stayed behind on those trips.

It's a freaky image if you look at it closely, but I swear I've seen a similar pattern in a couple of doors downstairs...makes for a great ghost story, though.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx

Last edited by Alumiyum; 10-10-2010 at 12:19 AM.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

This is such a great thread!! I copy/pasted a lot of the scarier stories to a word doc so I can remember them and tell them at my next sisterhood retreat! My mom was a Sigma Kappa at Ohio University and I just asked her if her house was haunted, and she told me that she had been told stories as a new member that scared her for weeks, but she didn't remember any of them. She also said that there were "lights and noises" in the house, but she is a skeptic, so she said that she didn't think it was anything out of the ordinary. I kind of wish I took my scholarship to OU so I could experience all of these scary things first hand... oh well!

Also, I can't see the face in the door... all of the faces I see look happy.. maybe I'm just an optimist?

As for scary stories here at NCSU, the only things I can think of are last year, a sister was putting the security code in to get into the house, and she felt a brush up against her ankle, and there was a man trying to look up her dress! He ran away when she screamed, though. This year, some ADPi girls woke up with a man in their room- he was tickling one of girl's foot. Perhaps the scariest is a DZ girl who was outside talking on her phone on the fire escape, and when she hung up, she noticed a man underneath the escape watching her and doing *something* to himself. When he noticed that she saw him, he began to walk up to her, but thankfully she got in the house before he reached her!
Old 10-10-2010, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

At my uni, there are no Greek houses, and almost half of the students live together in small groups in off-campus in "regular" houses. (there are some dorms on-campus but those are basically not very much fun to live in. Also the city is about 5 minutes from campus)

Anyway...

My old house was built in 1886 and served as an inn for years. It used to be on the outskirts of town (it's city-centre now) and right across the street is an old farmers' graveyard dating back to the 1600's. There are very old crooked graves and huge willows in there.

In the 1960's the building was extended and you can still see the remains of a staircase in some rooms. In the 1990's they started renting out the 13 rooms to tennants, and some were... let's just say women in the world's oldest profession. At night people still come calling for them. Also one of the tennants overdosed in one of the rooms. And one hung herself in another room (room number 13 actually).

Students started living there in the year 2000 and there have been creepy things happening ever since. Even with all the doors and windows shut, the wind really howls through the whole house. There's always doors opening and closing without anyone there. Lights would flicker, and you could hear people walking down the hallways even when everyone was asleep. There would be shuffeling and clanking in the attic, even though there's no way of getting up there anymore.

The house was downright creepy and I hated spending the night there when no-one else was home.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

bumping this one for October too!
Old 10-01-2011, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

The Theta Phi Alpha house at the University of Dayton is supposedly haunted.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

great thread... any other stories?
Old 05-16-2012, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

To All You Guys with Ghost Stories:
I got this email from this producer last week. I forgot that I'd told him that he ought to look on GC if he wanted some good ones--someone else had sent me a link to his page. Sooo---send him your best!

Thank you for your email!
I know its late following up, but we had already casted that season when you sent this.
However, we are currently casting Season 2.
Since you are a moderator on the board, is there anyway you could post our casting notice so that students and alumni can see it?

Thanks so much!

CASTING FOR STUDENTS AND ALUMNI WHO HAVE HAD HAUNTED CAMPUS EXPERIENCES!

Mark Burnett, Jarrett Creative Group and the Syfy cable TV network are seeking high school and college students as well as alumni who have come face to face with paranormal activity on their school campuses. If you have witnessed a first hand experience with ghosts, hauntings or other unexplained phenomena in your classrooms... In your dorm... In locker rooms or on athletic fields... We may want to tell your story and recreate it on television. We are interested in hearing stories from students current and past, parents and current or former school employees.

If you or someone you know has a story to tell, please email us at:

RealityCasting@GothamCasting.com

Write "School Spirits" in the subject line and include the following:

NAME:
AGE (must be at least 16 years old):
PHONE:
RECENT PHOTO:
SCHOOL NAME:
SCHOOL CITY AND STATE:
DETAILED EXPERIENCE OF YOUR HAUNTING (Be as specific and detailed as possible):
NAMES AND AGES OF ANYONE THAT EXPERIENCED THIS WITH YOU
Old 05-19-2012, 09:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Ucacheer2213
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaSigLana View Post
In the early 1980's one ASA from the chapter at my school was found murdered. My ASA sisters were waiting for her to come to the house and she never came. TO this day they still don't know who killed her. We didn't even know this had happened to one of our sisters until the Greeley paper wrote about it in the paper -saying they are still searching for the killer. I'll be living in the house she used to live in. I just thought this was interesting and scary.
Does anyone know anything strange facts about their house?
WOW!! So Sad to know that!!

Old 05-20-2012, 09:15 AM
GreekChat Member

The maintenance crew at Monmouth College is called the Green Army. (They wear green cover-alls.) If you have a problem with your dorm room, call the Green Army and they will come and fix it. They have access to all of the women's dorms. Richard Speck was from Monmouth and worked for the Green Army, before he left town and went to Chicago.
In 1966, he raped and murdered 8 student nurses in a dorm at South Chicago Community Hospital.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Speck
Old 05-20-2012, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Can't believe I missed this thread to post this earlier!

We had a house mom way back in the day (I want to say 80s or 90s...) named Jodie, and she looks pretty normal, albeit old, in her composite pictures until one year, at which point she starts looking more and more skeletal. She just disappears from the composites one year never to appear again. The story we were always told is that Jodie had cancer and was transferred to another chapter (not sure which one) and died there, but our house was her favorite and she subsequently haunts it.

I'm a skeptic but I can say that weird things would happen...parts of rooms would be very cold, doors would slam, etc. We always joked that whenever anyone would talk about guys, Jodie would do something.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ThetaMo
Im a Theta from University of Oregon and there were stories of a student named Mildred who hung herself in our original house on 15th and alder. The house changed hands frequently and was FIJI for quite sometime. When I was in school we teamed up with FIJI to throw Mildreds Wake and have a ""funeral procession" from our home to the FIJI.
I had friends who were FIJIS that had a lot of interaction with a ghost for years. She hung out mainly on the third floor in one of the rooms but there was also something that lurked in the laundry room that would turn lights off or knock things out of your hands.
Not sure if the Mildred story is true or not, but there is definitely some sort of spirit haunting that house.
I was also an advisor for Oregon State and a couple new members were transfers from UW and I remember their moms were freaked that their daughters were sleeping in the same sleeping porch that one of the Ted Bundy victims slept in.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I just read this entire thread! I'm obsessed - more please!!