GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,335
0 members and 1,335 guests
No Members online

Old 04-30-2000, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Post NPC and NPHC Recruitment

We're just about to have an NPHC group join our system and they want to sit on Panhel. They also want to be a part of our recruitment process and I don't know how that would work since they recruit very specific women. If you have an NPHC group on camous, how does their recruitment work?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-03-2000, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
The NPHC have a membership intake process that includes informational meetings, specific interviews and other events targeted at the women that are specifically interested in a single sorority. They do not hold recruitment events where all BGLO groups participate. In addition, prospective members must apply, provide resumes and letters of recommendation, must contribute many hours to the chapters community service projects and learn the history of the sorority and the chapter before they are even considered for membership. All this is up to the prospective, not the chapter. The chapter has the final vote on whether or not to accept that member.

My recommendation to you would be to have the NPHC chapter as an associate member of Panhellenic, since they are not bound by the NPC agreements. The Panhellenic and Greek Life office should offer support, including financial if possible, to help the new chapter get on it's feet and recruit it's first member class. If your university has hazing policies, etc., or if you must abide by certain policies to be a member of Panhellenic, the NPHC group will most likely have to check with an advisor or national officer before signing any agreement. Some of the traditional membership intake/new member processes and traditions of the NPHC can be considered hazing by members of the NPC (enforced like dress, rules of conduct and speech, etc.). Make sure everyone is fully informed of the traditions and expectations of each group, both NPC and NPHC.

Barb
Old 05-12-2000, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

that is really good information. the priamry difference is that nphc groups typically do not recruit members, they express an interest in becoming a member and begin a screening process (appication, recommendations, grades, service, interview, etc) then they are selected for the membership intake process and if they complete it they are initiated. so, they will be able to disseminate information at rush while not actively participate in it.
Old 06-24-2000, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Is there not a National Pan-Hellinic Council at your school?
Old 06-24-2000, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blu_theatrics:
Is there not a National Pan-Hellinic Council at your school?
I am hoping that one will be started as there will now be two NPHC chapters on campus, but we are leaving that final decision up to the chapter members.

They would then run that council and sit on the Panhellenic Council for university Greek issues.

Old 06-25-2000, 01:05 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry, just trying to understand what's going on

On your campus the Panhellenic is over the pan-hellenic, or the univ as a whole

Quote:
Originally posted by BuPanhelPres:
I am hoping that one will be started as there will now be two NPHC chapters on campus, but we are leaving that final decision up to the chapter members.

They would then run that council and sit on the Panhellenic Council for university Greek issues.
Old 06-25-2000, 02:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Right now, we have one men's NPHC group, and they participate on the Interfraternity Council because you need two NPHC chapters to start a council. This incoming chapter would be our second. The Panhellenic and IFC supervise all Greek activities. It is under the university's jurisdiction, but we wouldn't be "over" an NPHC council.

One of the university requirements, is that the NPHC groups still participate in Panhellenic and IFC as a means of keeping the whole Greek community connected. What I'm having trouble with is how exactly to incorporate the two groups as they have such different rules as well as interests.

Also, as a Panhellenic president, my experience with NPHC chapters is largely limited to the research I have done and the people I have talked to. However, because of university policy, etc., I am working closely with the women building this chapter, and am searching for advice to give them on how to build their voice on campus.

Any ideas? Thanks for your help!

Quote:
Originally posted by blu_theatrics:
I'm sorry, just trying to understand what's going on

On your campus the Panhellenic is over the pan-hellenic, or the univ as a whole

Old 06-25-2000, 05:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Ok, now I get it...sorry I guess this summber break thing is getting to me....lol.

Basically, I think that you should try to work with them as much as possible so that you can see how they perform things.

You might also want to send themto the net for help on intake andstuff like that ...good luck,