GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,537
1 members and 1,536 guests
Pinkmagnolia921

Old 08-21-2019, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
I'm trying to understand how this works here.

Example: There are 10 chapters. 1000 women sign up for recruitment. There are 900 freshmen and 100 upperclassmen. The rounds go on, PNMs are cut, and remaining are 800 freshmen and 80 upperclassmen.

A combined quota would be 88 (800 freshman plus 80 upperclassmen divided by 10 chapters). But separate quotas would be 80 for the freshmen and 8 for the upperclassmen... which is still the same number.

So how is having an upperclassmen quota a benefit? Does it require a certain number of upperclassmen PNMs to be carried through each round?
You are overlooking one important thing...the upperclassmen in a no UC quota situation will be dropped sooner because the groups want freshmen first as they will be in the chapter longer. So the UC women end up with fewer options and tend to drop out. That's why the separation came about -to give the UC PNMs a better -and fairer - chance.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-22-2019, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
You are overlooking one important thing...the upperclassmen in a no UC quota situation will be dropped sooner because the groups want freshmen first as they will be in the chapter longer. So the UC women end up with fewer options and tend to drop out. That's why the separation came about -to give the UC PNMs a better -and fairer - chance.
I guess I'm not understanding what you're saying here. I can't see why it's more fair for them.

If my math is correct, each chapter is gaining the same number of members, regardless of whether or not there is an upperclassmen quota, correct? And there's no obligation for the chapters to carry upperclassmen through to the next round, correct?

So how does having that quota benefit the upperclassmen, and for what reason are chapters carrying more upperclassmen forward with the separate quota?

If each chapter is gaining the same number of members either way, and they would prefer to have more freshmen, what is "forcing" them to take non-freshmen?

@~/~~~~
Old 08-22-2019, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I guess I'm not understanding what you're saying here. I can't see why it's more fair for them.

If my math is correct, each chapter is gaining the same number of members, regardless of whether or not there is an upperclassmen quota, correct? And there's no obligation for the chapters to carry upperclassmen through to the next round, correct?

So how does having that quota benefit the upperclassmen, and for what reason are chapters carrying more upperclassmen forward with the separate quota?

If each chapter is gaining the same number of members either way, and they would prefer to have more freshmen, what is "forcing" them to take non-freshmen?
If I understand correctly just from what Titchou has said, the primary and secondary quotas aren't really combined to make one total quota. Like, if Primary quota is 80 and Secondary quota is 8, then the chapters have 80 spots for freshmen regardless of how many upperclasswomen they choose to invite back. Sure, adding them together may equal 88, but that includes the 8 spots for upperclasswomen and those don't automatically become freshmen availability for chapters who have dropped all the upperclasswomen. It gives the chapters a little leeway to include those women if they really want them. Nobody is forced to take them, but it does give them more of an equal playing field because they're not having to compete as directly for the spots the freshmen will fill.

I hope I got that right, Titchou.

Old 08-22-2019, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

It gives the women who are not freshmen a chance to be considered without losing a freshman spot. In the bad ol' days, often anyone other than freshmen would be cut because pledging them would mean losing possible years of membership. Now, with a separate quota, they can be considered on their own merits, and it opens up spots specifically for them. Chapters aren't forced to take anyone, but now they can without jeopardizing losing a freshman.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

UC quota is voluntary for the chapters. So they may take one or all 8. And you are still looking at the freshman quota as an overall quota....in a way. The chapters will tend to release UC women early and so those women drop out. The odds that you would have 100 women left at the end of recruitment is less likely with no UC quota and more likely with it. UC quota, in Cajun French terms,is lagniappe- a little something extra that doesn't cost you anything...
Old 08-22-2019, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Any word on the size of the pledge classes for each chapter? I'm not finding much at all.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

106 Primary quota,5 UC. DG took 120
Old 08-23-2019, 06:59 AM
GreekChat Member

ADPi took 113.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:27 AM
GreekChat Member

ZTA took 115.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I *think* I understand what you're getting hung up on and I'm trying to work out a way to help explain. Let's say that there are 10 chapters and 150 PNMs at preference. So, there should be 15 new members for each chapter on bid day, right?

But, figuratively speaking, let's say that we put the 150 PNMs into basket. 30 of those PNMs are upperclasswomen and the rest are freshmen. We tell each chapter that they get to make a list of their favorite 15 out of everyone in the basket. More likely than not, the majority of the PNMs picked are going to be freshmen because the UC women are seen as less desirable due to time left on campus. So, to make an awkward comparison, sometimes being UC is like getting picked last on the playground.

Now, you might say that, regardless, 150 divided by 10 is still going to be 15 and those UC PNMs in the basket are going to be placed somewhere. Yes, that's true. So, if chapters don't want to "have" to take the UC PNMs, they will simply drop them ahead of pref so that they don't ever make it to the basket. That leaves more room in the basket for the more desirable freshmen.

However, if we tell chapters to go ahead and put favorites into a 150 person freshman basket and a bonus UC basket, then that will help encourage them to keep UC women around longer.

Does that make any sense at all?

True and Constant
Old 08-26-2019, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Nobody's "forcing" any chapter to take upperclassman. I think the first year or two (in recent history) they did it, there were a few that still took only freshmen. But now all the chapters seem to pledge at least a couple of upperclassmen.

Old 08-30-2019, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Apparently, Delta Zeta, Alpha Phi, Gamma Phi Beta, and Sigma Kappa are all eligible for COB (in addition to SDT, which does not participate in FR). Interestingly, the website makes a point of noting that not all eligible chapters may choose to participate in COB. http://www.uapanhellenic.com/continuous-open-bidding
Old 08-30-2019, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I was somewhat amazed that they listed the sororities. I don't believe they've ever done that before. AND with a note that not all may choose to pledge COB.

Old 08-30-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
I was somewhat amazed that they listed the sororities. I don't believe they've ever done that before. AND with a note that not all may choose to pledge COB.
On one hand, transparency is good; on the other, omitting the amount of women each chapter needs (and you know that note wooshed over everyone’s head) would make things a giant PITA for sorority XYZ who only needs 3 people to get to total and already knows who they want to bid. They’ll be having to field tons of emails from interested women (and a mom or two) who want to know why they weren’t even considered.

I’ve never been a fan of the “open invite” sort of COB parties because it really does put the chapter over a barrel, but at a huge school some women will never get reached any other way.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

I’ve never been a fan of the “open invite” sort of COB parties because it really does put the chapter over a barrel, but at a huge school some women will never get reached any other way.
When I worked with chapters on informal recruitment efforts, the first thing I asked was "What have you tried?"

Almost always, the first thing out of the recruitment chair's mouth was "Well we made a FB invite and invited all the women in the freshmen dorms."

Or "we put flyers in all freshmen mailboxes."

Stop there because that is probably why things aren't going well. Over-inviting actually does not help you. At all. It has the opposite effect.

It was hard at times for chapters to do the work of coming up with some individuals they know who are unaffiliated and may be of interest to them, but it is worth it to be able to personally invite those say, 7 women. It pays off in the long run because people want to feel special. Not like they are at a cattle call in which every sophomore or every freshman is invited.

Lakers Nation.