GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,174
0 members and 2,174 guests
No Members online

Old 07-05-2000, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Different Frat/Soro

I was wondering if it was possible to join (in my case) a soroity then join another soroity, like a business or music frat/soro?
Not another Greek soroity.

------------------
Reach for the Moon, because even if you miss, you will still be among the stars!
-unknown
Old 07-05-2000, 03:07 PM
dubyuhnell_theta

Wink

i think you can. i know for a fact that you can belong to an NPC sorority and Phi Beta Kappa, an academic fraternity, at the same time. i know you definitely would not be allowed to join 2 national social sororities.
Old 07-05-2000, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZetaAce Send a message via AIM to ZetaAce
Definitely! I belong to Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. (NPHC) and Phi Beta Kappa Society (an Honors organization, the fraternity distinction was dropped a while ago.) I know many people who are in their org of choice and in a business/music/honors organization too.

dubyuhnell_theta is right that you cannot join 2 'social' GLO's. For example you can't join Zeta Phi Beta and Kappa Alpha Theta.

ZetaAce
Old 07-05-2000, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

In most cases, yes. However, some professional organizations which also have a social focus are single-membership (i.e. you can only join them, not also another "social" organization).

Also, just fyi, you can usually only join one within a specific field - for example only one music group.

There are also honorary Greek letter organizations. In some cases, you may be eligible for membership in several of these, even within the same career field.

Just to clarify - it is the Greek letters that make ALL of these "Greek." I am guessing you meant to say not social or general Greek.

For more information on many of the professional Greek organizations - www.profraternity.org
Old 07-05-2000, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

I also had/have this question. I am interested in joining a music sorority (professional), but I'm also interested in becoming a member of a NPHC sorority. I was wondering if that was possible.
Old 07-09-2000, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to Eli
I dont see a problem...

my frat brother was also a member of Omicron Delta Kappa (A prestigious honors math group).

Easy E www.angelfire.com/va2/gammachi
Old 07-10-2000, 05:39 PM
sahkrates

Most definitely. I am a proud member of Alpha Phi Alpha and Alpha Kappa Psi(a professional business fraternity)
Old 07-10-2000, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tickledpink
Yes, I've seen a few Kappa Kappa Psi (band fraternity) initiate into BGLOs.

------------------
>>>"Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all."
Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised... Proverbs 31:29-30
Old 07-10-2000, 09:07 PM
Artimis

You shouldn't have a problem if one is considered social and the other is consider professional. But I would recommend verifing that at a chapter or National level. My sisterhood is incorporated as a social sorority, however we do restrict initiation to those in a technical field. To some we might be seen a professional group, but we're not.

Artimis